PDA

View Full Version : Android + PC tabletops?

HyperionWolf
2012-12-11, 09:23 AM
(I hope I'm putting this on the right board... Ah! there is also a tl;dr in the end of the post.)

So! Hello there, Playground. I'm a long time lurker that made an account some time ago, but did not use it a lot (2, 3 posts?). I'm back now, more mature and probably more able to help my fellow forumites. But today, I need your help!.:smalltongue:

I've been a DM for a long time. I'm currently writing a system and a setting (both you will soon see at the homebrew boards, once I translate from Portuguese to English.) And I'm facing a huge issue with my latest group.:smallfrown:

The group is composed by four members. One of them is my brother, Mauro, who can only use an Android-based tablet. The rest of the group have Microsoft Windows 7, and I have the luck to possess both.
Mauro is the one who convinced me to GM this campaign, and since he is my brother, I just cannot leave him out. Since our system of choice is a simple one (the Brazilian 3D&T Alpha, built around anime-based characters - I changed the feel to a high fantasy setting, nevertheless - and using a small range of d6s), and we decided to solve our different plataform issue using a common instant messenger (MSN, who is a still a hit around here), and "Outsourcing" the dice rolls.

When I say "Outsource", I mean that I'll be rolling the dice using a common dice roller in the internet, and sending them the log. That should work with a system that simple.

However, I'm not a big fan of 3D&T. I'd prefer Returner's RRPG, D&D3.5 or even GURPS or a homebrew form of Mouse Guard. But for those, I'm not sure I can take care off all those dice, and still keep the game fluid. So, I'm in need of a tabletop (much like roll20 or Fantasy Grounds) that could function in both Android and Windows operational system. Is that even possible?

Thanks in advance. Its a great honor to be out of the shadows again!:smallredface:

Tl;dr: Is there any virtual tabletop programs that work on both Android and PC?

Greylond
2012-12-11, 09:34 AM
Roll20 now works with Android. They just recently did an update for it.

http://help.roll20.net/mobile-support/

And I think they are working on Android support for Maptools but they're not there with it yet.

HyperionWolf
2012-12-11, 09:53 AM
Thanks for the fast reply!

That was new to me. interesting! However, Its a pretty hard price when you have to exchange currencies... Well, Any other options?

Greylond
2012-12-11, 11:05 AM
Uh... Roll20 is FREE.

HyperionWolf
2012-12-11, 11:29 AM
Uh... Roll20 is FREE.

As you can see in the very link you supplied...

This feature is only available to paid subscribers-- both Mentor and Supporter levels. If this is something you’re interested in, please visit the Supporter Page.

Arranis Thelmos
2012-12-11, 04:56 PM
It took me a while to find it, but it does say say that mobile users have to subscribe. That's an improvement I suppose, the last time I tried to run it via iPad it said it didn't support mobile at all.

Gralamin
2012-12-11, 07:29 PM
Tl;dr: Is there any virtual tabletop programs that work on both Android and PC?

An important question here is whether you actually need the "virtual tabletop". If you don't need exact positioning, or even visuals, you might find an IRC server, with a dieroller bot (easy to find via google) better suited. Android has plenty of IRC clients, and its generally pretty easy to host a game on IRC.

HyperionWolf
2012-12-11, 11:31 PM
An important question here is whether you actually need the "virtual tabletop". If you don't need exact positioning, or even visuals, you might find an IRC server, with a dieroller bot (easy to find via google) better suited. Android has plenty of IRC clients, and its generally pretty easy to host a game on IRC.

Hmm. IRC may do the job, yes! I'll learn what I have to learn to set up a server. Thank you!

While we are at it, any other ideas?

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-12, 12:10 AM
Welcome to the forums, Hyperion!

Having worked with 3D&T, I'm always happy when I hear about someone using it to run a campaign :smallbiggrin:

Join us in Southern Americas in the playground, btw ^^