PDA

View Full Version : Help select feats & gear for a 3,5 Healer(MH)

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-11, 12:47 PM
here we go..
it's 3,5 , a Healer5/HHoM1*
the campaign starts at lvl 6 and will go max at lvl8.
all books are allowed (preferable no mags).
It's race will be either human,or Strongheart halfling.
She will engage in combat, melee or ranged only to defend herself.
She will engage in combat as attacker only VS undead.
Her main role responsibility is to keep the rest group (4ppl) up & healthy.

So we need:
4 Feats:
- Dynamic Priest (L.o.t.T)
- ???
- ???
- ???

and 13k worth of Items:
- Healing Belt (750G) (MIC)
- Ring of Mystic Healing (3500G) (MIC)
- (8750G left)

These are what i pick so far...

Im in need of light,non metal-armor and any other healing boost item or
any item that you think that fits a healers role. (maybe a ring of sustenance?)

Plz, with your suggestions include source and page :)

*Healer: Miniatures Handbook pg.8
HHoM (aka Healing Hand of Mishakal): Holy order of the stars (dragonlance) pg.42

Psyren
2012-12-11, 01:27 PM
Dragonhide is the easy choice for non-metal. You can even explain it by having a good dragon donate the scales to you while molting.

As far as Healer goodies, BoED is excellent here as Healers will get all the Sanctified Spells added to their list. Also, see if your DM will follow SPC's suggestion to let you add its healing spells, that will get you gems like the Vigor line.

dspeyer
2012-12-11, 02:18 PM
Reach Spell from Complete Divine is good. A lot of healing spells are normally touch, but running all over the place can be problematic.

If you can manage some sort of metamagic reducer, combine it with Chain Spell from Complete Arcane and spread your healing around.

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-11, 02:39 PM
As far as Healer goodies, BoED is excellent here as Healers will get all the Sanctified Spells added to their list.
I ll have sanctif.spells :)

Also, see if your DM will follow SPC's suggestion to let you add its healing spells, that will get you gems like the Vigor line.
Elaborate plz? :)

If you can manage some sort of metamagic reducer, combine it with Chain Spell from Complete Arcane and spread your healing around.
Elaborate plz.. how? is there smthing official that suits my badget(if item) or i
have to ask DM to let it pass (cause that wont going to happen).
If it is a cheap item its ok,if it is a feat or a feat chain of 2 ok again,if it is 1 lvl
dip in a class or Pr.C. (that ill take at lvl8)it's ok again.

also... does innate spell worth it? was thinking to apply it on Close Wounds(MH).

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-11, 08:47 PM
so...
about items... after a bit of research...

Healing belt (750g)
Ring of Mystic healing (3100g)
Rod of bodily restoration (3500g) (instead of 4500 for a wand of lesser resto)
+2 Leather Armor (4165g)
MW Dastana (175g)

that leaves me with 1310G for mundane gear & consumables..

any disagreement on the above?

and plz... help with feats :)
should i get innate spell feat? if i do i ll apply it on Close wounds.

Psyren
2012-12-11, 08:57 PM
Elaborate plz? :)

SpC = Spell Compendium

The book recommends adding any spell with the Healing descriptor to the Healer's list. This gets you nice spells like (Lesser) Vigor, which heal party members over time and thus let you use your actions on other things, like attacking or buffing.

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-11, 09:06 PM
The book recommends adding any spell with the Healing descriptor to the Healer's list.

uh... im aware of that.. allready done my research and created a spell list :)

Phelix-Mu
2012-12-11, 09:24 PM
If you really are focused mainly on healing, then a reserve feat like Touch of Healing from Complete Champion is nice if only for the CL increase. If you did get the vigor spells added to your class list, then Extend Spell can be great for spell conservation. Finally, I think maybe consider Augment Healing from Complete Divine, but it should be weighed against other stuff for total benefit.

You've just reminded me of some nice Dragonlance stuff from 2nd Edition. Might have to finally get around to reading those 3.x versions of that setting. Man, back in the day, the Dragonlance novels...ah, teenage years. I spent many a fine weekend day plowing through those paperbacks.

vhfforever
2012-12-11, 09:44 PM
Suggest other players buy Healing Belts. If they choose not to, really commit to your role and buy extras to give them after combat, or to swap yours out with when you spend through the charges.

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-11, 10:06 PM
about feats.. that reserve feat...
touch of healing...
the 1 cl to healing spells (correct if im wrong) means +1 point of heal on cures
and 1 extra round on spells like vigor...
does't seems much... i mean.. with a CHA of 18 and that ring i can burst heal
3d8+4d6+7+4 at lvl 6 or 4d8+4d6+8+8 at lvl7... with minimum , minor heal for
5 points at lvl6 or 9 at lvl7...

i found these 2 feats...
HEALING DEVOTION (Complete Champion Pg:59)
that will bring me bk if i drop under 0hp or i can use it on an ally in the rare occasion i left without spells...
and
DRACONIC AURA (Dr.M. Pg:16)
Vigor , that will "tick" for 5hp at lvl6 or 10 at lvl7

what do you think?

Phelix-Mu
2012-12-11, 10:21 PM
Complete Champion:As a secondary benefit, you gain a +1 competence bonus to your caster level when casting conjuration (healing)
spells.

That's any spell that heals, not just cures. So once you get heal and such, that's 10hp. More specifically, it's an extra 1 round to the vigor line, and with circle of vigor (Spell Compendium), this is more hp for many people. Also relevant to range on the mass cure spells, as well as the handful of other conjuration(healing) spells that have range.

Extend Spell doubles the duration of a spells. Most of the vigor line are 1 round/level of fast healing x, so x times CL hp healed by the end of the spell. Extend it and you get 2x times CL, or twice as much. Again, benefit best seen with circle of vigor. Key, this also increases duration caps (I think) listed in the spells.

Most of the Devotions are only good if you have Turn Undead, which I can't recall if Healer has atm. But the effect for if you drop is good.

Vigor as a choice for Draconic Aura feat is only open to Dragon Shamans, I believe. Maybe your DM would let you pick it, though. Furthermore, the Aura's bonus only goes up if you pick a dragonblooded race, possibly a good option (though probably not as cool as strongheart halfling).

Larkas
2012-12-11, 10:25 PM
If by any chances you wanted to put your spell list in perspective, see this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4079.0).

Eric Scott
2012-12-11, 10:47 PM
Good feats to boost healing are:

Augment Healing (+2 HP/spell lvl) from Complete Divine
Magic of the Land (+2 HP/spell lvl) from Races of the Wild
Shape Soulmeld (Therapeutic Mantle) (+2 HP/spell lvl) from Magic of Incarnum

I hope that helps.

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-11, 11:11 PM
Augment Healing (+2 HP/spell lvl) from Complete Divine
Magic of the Land (+2 HP/spell lvl) from Races of the Wild
Shape Soulmeld (Therapeutic Mantle) (+2 HP/spell lvl) from Magic of Incarnum

hmm.. those three plus healers special is 11hp for minor cure...
seems good i ll keep those in mind :))

If by any chances you wanted to put your spell list in perspective, see this (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4079.0).
my spell list is 95% identical.. thnx for the link :)

btw... why no1 comments my thought on innate spell feat?? the way i see it,
if i could use Close wounds as Spell-like ab. i could negate 1 extremely harmful
blow on an ally once each round.. just like that...
big bad dragon sais: Here,i bite you for 1.000.000.000.000 dmg
my ally thinks: im so dead!
I cast close wounds: no you are not!

Eric Scott
2012-12-12, 12:06 AM
Well... if you think it's a good idea... go for it.

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-12, 12:12 AM
Well... if you think it's a good idea... go for it.

heh.. thats why im asking.. i think its a good idea but since most of you ppl
have much more experience than me im asking what YOU think :))

Larkas
2012-12-12, 05:35 AM
btw... why no1 comments my thought on innate spell feat?? the way i see it,
if i could use Close wounds as Spell-like ab. i could negate 1 extremely harmful
blow on an ally once each round.. just like that...
big bad dragon sais: Here,i bite you for 1.000.000.000.000 dmg
my ally thinks: im so dead!
I cast close wounds: no you are not!

It doesn't work like that. With Innate Spell, you can use a spell you know as a (sp), but with a couple of limitations:

- You permanently lose one spell slot of the level of the spell;
- You can only use this ability three times per day;

Now, those might not seem so bad, losing one spell slot for three uses of the spell. But there are a few other things to keep in mind:

- You cannot apply any metamagic feats to a (sp) ability;
- There are meta (sp) ability feats, but it doesn't make any sense for you to burn feats on that to enhance an ability you can only use three times a day;
- A (sp) ability uses the same action to be activated as the spell it mimicks. In the case of Close Wounds that's not so bad, being an immediate action and all, but keep that in mind;
- Unlike every other (sp) ability, you have to pay pretty much every cost related to the spell, which bars some shenanigans that could be enjoyed with the feat;
- You must take two other feats in order to qualify for Innate Spell, both metamagic, but both pretty crappy. A three feat burden is too heavy, and feats don't grow on trees, you know?

If at least the given (sp) ability was usable at will, I would say go for it. Close Wounds is not much of a great heal or anything, but it's usable at a range, and it's useful to be able to keep your friends above -10 before they actually get there (not something easy to do with only 2d4 points of damage healed, but I digress). As it stands, however, I'm forced to say IT'S A TRAP!

Darrin
2012-12-12, 07:04 AM
Healing belt (750g)
Ring of Mystic healing (3100g)
Rod of bodily restoration (3500g) (instead of 4500 for a wand of lesser resto)
+2 Leather Armor (4165g)
MW Dastana (175g)

Note: The Dastana would count as metal armor unless you made it out of a special material.

You can get the same protection with a Darkleaf Breastplate (Arms & Equipment Guide or Eberron Campaign Setting) for only 950 GP. You can add a +1 enhancement (for +6 AC overall) on top of that for +1150 GP, 2100 GP total. That's +2240 GP more for equipment/items. 2450 GP. Add a +1 enhancement for +1150 GP for 3600 GP total. That's an extra +740 GP for more equipment/items. [Edit: got chain shirt and breastplate confused]

For items... Armbands of Maximized Healing (7200 GP, MIC) appear to be out of your price range, but I'd put it on your "Want" list.

I'd start with a Collar of Perpetual Attendance (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fools/20030401c) and a visit to Shax (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101):

Potion Belt, Masterwork
Price: 60 GP
Weight: 1#
(Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting p. 97)
Once per round, you can retrieve a potion as a free action. Holds up to 10 potions.

Antitoxin
Price: 50 GP
Weight: --
(PHB)
Where else are you going to find a +5 alchemical bonus on saves for only 50 GP? Chug one of these vials when you know you're up against a creature using poison, and you've got a good chance to save yourself the cost of a neutralize poison potion or scroll. Lasts 1 hour.
Craft (Alchemy) DC: 20

Auran Mask
Price: 60 GP
(Complete Mage p. 134)
Provides a +5 circumstance bonus against inhaled toxins (which stacks with Antitoxin), but this is easily overshadowed by 10 minutes of water breathing. Requires less upkeep than Air Plants. For longer durations, consider a potion of water breathing for 750 GP, which lasts for 10 hours.
Craft (Alchemy) DC: 25

Bitterleaf Oil
Price: 25 GP
(Races of the Dragon p. 122)
Although created and used by kobolds to prevent shedding, there's nothing in the description that says it can't be used by non-kobolds. Boosts natural healing, gain 1 HP per character level (up to a maximum of 5 HP) after a full night's rest. Each bottle contains 10 applications. Combine with a Magic Bedroll (Magic Item Compendium) for even more natural healing.

Black Fan Talisman
Price: 150 GP
(Oriental Adventures p. 136)
This wonderful little one-shot item provides a +10 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy checks, and it lasts an *HOUR*. A Diplomancer can do a lot of damage in an hour.

Blessed Bandage
Price: 10 GP
(Magic Item Compendium p. 152)
Immediately stabilize a dying creature. While there are dozens of ways to stabilize or heal someone below 0 HPs, the main advantage of this item is it can be used untrained without a Heal check, so it can be applied by an unseen servant, wood wose, etc.

Bloodspike, Tempo
Price: 150 GP
(Magic of Eberron p. 140)
Within one hour, expend to take an additional move action on your turn.

Bloodspike, Thickener
Price: 100 GP
(Magic of Eberron p. 140)
For one hour, weapon damage reduced by 1 point (minimum 1).

Defoliator
Price: 20 GP
(Arms & Equipment Guide p. 33)
Grenade-like weapon that does 2d4 damage to plant creatures and auto-kills any non-creature plant that is size medium or smaller in a 5' radius burst, AKA a "Get Out of Entangle Free Card". Since all slimes, molds, and fungi are treated as plants (and are not considered creatures), this item also instantly kills Green Slime, Yellow Mold, Brown Mold (DMG), Snowflake Lichen (Frostburn), Grey Slime, and Bone Fungus (Dungeonscape) in a 5' radius. It also does 2d4 damage to wooden objects, dissolving them like acid, although hardness still applies.

Feather Fall Talisman
(Sharn City of Towers p. 170)
One-shot item, activate feather fall as a free action. While there are a variety of similar items to prevent falling damage, this is the cheapest.

Glyph Seal
Price: 1000 GP
(Magic Item Compendium p. 161)
Key this to a pocket with ammo or spell components inside, and you can activate it as a free action. This allows you to get in an extra 1st or 2nd level spell a round, or key it on a companion (or something your unseen servant can carry/open) to have them cast the spell instead.

Goodberry Wine
Price: 250 GP
Weight: 0.5#
(Five Nations p. 82)
Each jug contains 5 doses, so for 50 GP you get the equivalent of a maximized potion of cure light wounds (each dose heals 8 HP). This is a much better deal than the CLW potion or the Healing Salve from Tome & Blood. The only drawback is you're limited to one dose every 8 hours. Other benefits include it counts as a full meal for a medium creature, it works in the Mournland, and it uses transmutation magic so it should have full effect on a Warforged.

Icewild Lichen Paste
(Secrets of Sarlona p. 138)
Reduces fatigue or exhaustion by a step for 2d4 hours. At the end of that duration, character is fatigued for 2d4 minutes. Multiple doses taken within 24 hours cause 1d4 Constitution damage.

Ipecac
(Expedition to Castle Ravenloft p. 209)
If you ever get swallowed by a creature, empty this into its stomach. The creature is forced to regurgitate you, and is nauseated for 1d4 rounds, no save. It can also be used to induce vomiting after ingesting a poison, giving a +5 untyped bonus to the secondary effect. Each vial contains 10 doses.

Magic Bedroll
Price: 500 GP
Weight: 6#
(Magic Item Compendium p. 163)
Not to be confused with Heward's Fortifying Bedroll (Complete Mage). This bedroll provides the benefits of endure elements and restores 1 HP per character level after 8 hours of rest. Combine with Bitterleaf Oil to gain more natural healing, although unlike the oil, the bedroll doesn't have a 5 HP maximum limit.

Panther Tears
Price: 30 GP
Weight: 0.1#
(Secrets of Xendrik p. 139)
Eye drops that give you low-light vision for 1 hour. This also gives you light sensitivity, but for only 10 GP Sundark Goggles will fix that for you.

Sundark Goggles
(Races of the Dragon p. 123)
Never take the Daylight Adaptation feat ever again. These handy little shades negate the dazed penalty for creatures with Light Sensitivity, and also provide a +2 circumstance bonus on saves against gaze attacks. Creatures without low-light or darkvision take a -2 penalty on spot and search checks.

Tarpaulin, Honey Leather (big)
Price: 40 GP
(Races of the Wild p. 170)
An upgrade from a winter blanket, wearing a honey leather tarpaulin gives a +1 circumstance bonus on Survival checks to resist the effects of severe weather, or +2 bonus if you're stationary. The big tarpaulin is waterproof, 6' square, and could be used to wrap your equipment to prevent it from getting wet, collect rainwater, cover a 5' pit trap, smother a small fire, or convert it into a float bladder.

Torch Bug Paste (x4, 25 GP ea.)
Price: 100 GP
(Complete Scoundrel p. 120)
Thrown as a splash weapon, non-magical faerie fire effect, which pinpoints invisible creatures and completely negates concealment.

Travel Cloak
Price: 1200 GP
(Magic of Faerun p. 166)
Provides trail rations 3/day, a flask that produces up to 2 gallons of cool water or sugared hot tea per day, endure elements against cold, and can be transformed into a one-person tent 1/day.

Trollbane
Price: 90 GP
(Dungeonscape p. 37)
Running into a regenerating creature when the party isn't ready for it can quickly turn into a TPK. While one dose of Alchemist's Fire, Bladefire, or Quickflame might be cheaper, trollbane allows all of a weapon's damage (not just fire/acid) to ignore regeneration. Save this for high-damage single-hit attacks, such as two-handed power-attack leap-attack ubercharger combos.

Sphere of Awakening
Price: 1800 GP
(Magic Item Compendium p. 186)
A must-have for anyone on watch. 1/day, instantly wakes up all of your allies as a swift action. In addition, you and all allies are immune to fatigue, exhaustion, and sleep effects for 10 minutes. If you've got any barbarian, frenzied berserker, or dervish in the party that has to deal with fatigue, this will immediately get rid of it.

Vermin Ointment
(Secrets of Xendrik p. 139)
Vermin of diminuative size or smaller (including swarms) can't get within 5' of you unless magically compelled (and with most vermin being mindless, good luck with that). Larger vermin must make a Fortitude save DC 15 or become sickened.

For weapons, if you want to focus on the whole "non-violent" theme:

Eggshell Grenade, Dust
(Oriental Adventures p. 78)
Thrown as a grenade-like weapon, so make a ranged touch attack with a range increment of 5'. A dust grenade that hits its target directly blinds the target for 1d4 rounds *NO SAVE*. Anyone else within the 5' radius splash must make a Fort save DC 10 or be blinded for 1 round. This is an amazingly effective weapon that works on a wide variety of opponents, but don't overuse this one or your DM will come down on you with a banhammer like a ton of bricks.

Lasso
Price: 1 GP
Weight: 3#
(Book of Exalted Deeds p. 34)
Although this is an exotic weapon, ranged touch attacks are usually easy enough to hit even with the non-proficiency penalty. A lasso can partially entangle a creature (-2 attack penalty, -4 Dex penalty), but unlike the net there is no size restriction. Check with your DM if the Dex penalty from multiple sources stack (net, tanglefoot, etc.).

Marbles (x4, 2 SP ea.)
Price: 8 SP
Weight: 8#
(Arms & Equipment Guide p. 24)
These are deployed much like caltrops, so it takes a standard action to spread. Basically a 5' x 5' square of non-magical grease. Dump them under an opponent without 5 ranks of Balance to deny his Dex bonus and make the party rogue happy.

Net
Weight: 6#
(PHB)
Although this is an exotic weapon, ranged touch attacks are usually easy enough to hit even with the non-proficiency penalty. A hit with a net entangles a creature (-2 attack penalty, -4 Dex penalty, restricts movement), which can be a cheap and easy debuff or delaying tactic. If you're running into larger creatures, use a lasso instead. Check with your DM if the Dex penalty from multiple sources stack (lasso, tanglefoot, etc.). There's also a Razor Net version (50 GP, Dragon Compendium) that does 1d6 damage if the target fails their check to get out of the net (Escape Artist check DC 20 or Strength check DC 25), but it's a little too easy to escape and the razors cut up the net, preventing it from being used again.

Tanglefoot Bag
Weight: 4#
(PHB)
Ranged touch attack that entangles (-2 attack penalty, -4 Dex penalty, restricts movement), a chance to immobilize, and makes life difficult for flying creatures. Check with your DM if the Dex penalty from multiple sources stack (net, lasso, etc.).

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-12, 12:23 PM
Note: The Dastana would count as metal armor unless you made it out of a special material.
true.. didn't notice they're metal.

You can get the same protection with a Darkleaf Breastplate (Arms & Equipment Guide or Eberron Campaign Setting) for only 950 GP. You can add a +1 enhancement (for +6 AC overall) on top of that for +1150 GP, 2100 GP total. That's +2240 GP more for equipment/items.
well.. actually it is 2250 for the darkleaf on medium armor(you 1st apply the material, then it goes 1 weight type down.)350 for mw breastplate.
So its 2600 for the same effect as +2 Leather and dastana for cheaper price. Nice catch there thnx.

For items... Armbands of Maximized Healing (7200 GP, MIC) appear to be out of your price range, but I'd put it on your "Want" list.
yes.. i knew about that but out of budget...

about those items in the spoilers...
that potion belt looks nice,but i will already wearing the healing belt.
Those goggles for 10gp... i might get those(and have them look like raybans) just so i look cool :smalltongue:

anyways... these left me with 3050G.. i might get that B.o.H like backpack cause i ll dump str, so i could carry my things around...
if after all calculations see that i dont need it, then, i might get that travel cloak :P

It doesn't work like that. With Innate Spell, you can use a spell you know as a (sp), but with a couple of limitations:
- You permanently lose one spell slot of the level of the spell;
- You can only use this ability three times per day;

Well those limitations are kinda wrong... it;s at will but once each round..
the problem i found though by reading again the feat description is that i ll have to sacrifice a spell slot 8 lvls higher, which i don't have.. so..
thnx for being a bit wrong and make me search it again and disqualify it :)

Larkas
2012-12-12, 12:34 PM
Well those limitations are kinda wrong... it;s at will but once each round..
the problem i found though by reading again the feat description is that i ll have to sacrifice a spell slot 8 lvls higher, which i don't have.. so..
thnx for being a bit wrong and make me search it again and disqualify it :)

Ehm, are we looking at the same version of the feat? Player's Guide to Faerūn, p.39?

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-12, 01:35 PM
Ehm, are we looking at the same version of the feat? Player's Guide to Faerūn, p.39?
Complete Arcane pg.80.. going to check yours.. might suit me better

Edit: Hmm.. for 2 feats still and silent i could have close wounds 3/day
that means the slot i ll lose (that would had a close wounds in) now gives me
3 close wounds... hmm your version seems more viable than mine... i ll think of it..

Answerer
2012-12-12, 01:38 PM
Just to make sure, you are aware that the Healer is horribly weak, given that it focuses on a low-value tactic, and one that the Cleric can do as well if not better than the Healer at, right? I mean, if that's what you want to play, by all means, enjoy. But if you thought being a Healer would mean that you can keep your party fighting long past their bedtimes and that your teammates will love you, you may be in for disappointment.

Larkas
2012-12-12, 01:41 PM
Complete Arcane pg.80.. going to check yours.. might suit me better

Oooooh, NOW it makes sense! :smallbiggrin: CA's version is pretty worthless, that "8 levels higher" stuff kills the feat, and makes it so you can only use 0 and 1st level spells with it! :smalleek: PGtF's at least can see some use earlier, and more effectively.

Just to make sure, you are aware that the Healer is horribly weak, given that it focuses on a low-value tactic, and one that the Cleric can do as well if not better than the Healer at, right? I mean, if that's what you want to play, by all means, enjoy. But if you thought being a Healer would mean that you can keep your party fighting long past their bedtimes and that your teammates will love you, you may be in for disappointment.

That said, it might be nice to point hxolhpths towards this (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=133118)! :smallwink:

Kerilstrasz
2012-12-12, 01:46 PM

I know healer as class is nowhere near a good-built cleric's versatility..
but at those levels (6-8),imho , healer has more potent HEALING powers...
so.. when i was picking a class i decided to leave the spotlight to my team mates
and i just be there to keep em alive simply by healing.. not buffing etc etc..
nevertheless, i always wanted to try the healer5/HHom2 built :)