PDA

View Full Version : Rule change idea: Lots (like, LOTS) of feats! (PEACH, I guess?)

Absol197
2012-12-11, 02:55 PM
Hey all! Now, please realize that I've jsut started playing around with this idea, and I am fully aware of some potential problems (complicated and time consuming NPC/monster development, for one), but I wanted to run this idea by everyone.

Now, we all know that feats are one of the most precious commodities that a character can get. Well, what if they weren't quite as difficult to come by?

The idea I had was this: all feats would be split into several categories: Combat feats, Magic feats, Fortitude feats, Reflex feats, Will feats, and General feats. Some (and probably a lot) of feats would be in two, maybe three categories: Dodge, for instance, would likely be both a Combat feat and a Reflex feat.

Then, each character gains feats based on their Base Attack Bonus, their (highest) caster level, their base save bonuses, and their number of skill points.

First, some general observations about my presumptions:
1. I use Pathfinder, so the skill points levels are based on a max rank of 1/level. If you're using 3.5 and decide to do this, you should increase the amount by 30;
2. The fighter should get 4 + Int skill points per level;
3. Fractional BAB and base saves should be used when multiclassing;
4. The +2 bonus from having a good save should only be applied the first time you get it (a wizard 1/sorcerer 1/cleric 1/bard 1 would have a +4 Will, not a +8...not that anyone would ever haev that class combo);
5. Partial casters (paladins and rangers) gain a caster level equal to the medium base attack bonus, even if they can't cast spells yet;
6. Non-casters gain a caster level equal to the low base attack bonus.

So, the general table I was looking at went like this:
# of feats|BAB|CL|BSB|Skill Ranks
1|+1|1|+2|10
2|+3|3|+3|30
3|+5|5|+4|50
4|+7|7|+5|70
5|+9|9|+6|90
6|+11|11|+7|110
7|+13|13|+8|130
8|+15|15|+9|150
9|+17|17|+10|170
10|+19|19|+11|190

A character would gain feats from each category based on the value they have. Base Attack Bonus grants combat feats; caster level grants magic feats; base saves grant feats of that save type; skill points grant a free feat of any category.

One positive I can see from this is it makes Intelligence less of a dump stat, because more skill points can net you more feats.

Okay, go ahead and tear into me :smallsmile: !

~Phoenix~

Zman
2012-12-11, 03:09 PM
Not a bad idea but it's current implementation is a bit complicated. What about something more simple.

BAB: 1 FBF for every 4 levels in a Good BAB Class, 1FBF for every 6 Levels in a Medium BAB Class, 1FBF for every 8 levels in a Poor BAB class. More Simply written, one Fighter Bonus Feat(Combat Feat) for ever +4 BAB you have.

Caster Level: 1 Magic/Metamagic/Crafting Feat for ever 6 CL you have.

Reflex/Fortitude/Will: On appropriate feat for ever +3 Base Save Bonus you have.

Skills: 1Bonus Skill feat every 4 levels for +8 skill pt classes, every 5 levels for a +6 skill class, every 6 for a +4, every 7 for a +2 Class.

Biggest problem will be limiting abuse.

Absol197
2012-12-11, 03:17 PM
Not a bad idea but it's current implementation is a bit complicated. What about something more simple.

BAB: 1 FBF for every 4 levels in a Good BAB Class, 1FBF for every 6 Levels in a Medium BAB Class, 1FBF for every 8 levels in a Poor BAB class. More Simply written, one Fighter Bonus Feat(Combat Feat) for ever +4 BAB you have.

Caster Level: 1 Magic/Metamagic/Crafting Feat for ever 6 CL you have.

Reflex/Fortitude/Will: On appropriate feat for ever +3 Base Save Bonus you have.

Skills: 1Bonus Skill feat every 4 levels for +8 skill pt classes, every 5 levels for a +6 skill class, every 6 for a +4, every 7 for a +2 Class.

Biggest problem will be limiting abuse.

One thing I forgot to mention is that, with the exception of bonus feats from races and classes, this would replace the feats you normally get from level. I guess that's kinda important :smallsmile: .

As for your suggestion, I actually think that you've made it more complicated. Now I have to remember how many levels it is for each type of feat (4 for Combat, 6 for magic, 6 for saves, and between 4 and 7 for skills). Additionally, how do those things interact? What if you're hankering for class features of some exotic class combination, so you don't get any consistency for how many skill points per level your classes get?

The reason I made it a static chart for each (with the exact same progression) is so that the added complications of gaining lots of feats of various types is helped along by it always being the same increment between them.

Nightraiderx
2013-01-02, 10:41 AM
BSB feats can be manipulated by multi-classing manipulation and it would make the "save" feat progress faster and create a bad balance of saves (even more powerful than the save origionally intended). Nvm, I see you addressed the multi-class issue of that I didn't read the spoiler.