PDA

View Full Version : Class/Build for a one-shot (that might become a full fleged campaign)

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-11, 03:20 PM
I have to build a character for a one-shot game, which as the thread title says may become a whole campaign if the DM gets more free time; but right now I have no idea what I want to do, except for the role I want to take (beatstick) so I was hoping to get some suggestions.

All 1st party books are open and others (Dragon, 3rd party, etc) are on case by case basis. Starting at ECL 6 and we will be using 32 point buy. The setting is Eberrom; but the DM says we can refluff stuff from other settings. I would like to avoid TWFing as I usually play those kind of characters and I kinda want to do something else.

Thanks in advance.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-11, 03:40 PM
Warblades and Crusaders are always fun. I usually play casters, though so I don't have any builds off the top of my head.

Gwendol
2012-12-11, 05:52 PM
I'm having lot's of fun with my goliath monk/cleric/fighter (dungeoncrasher). Though I recommend just going fighter for this case and maybe branch out later. A level of barbarian with mountain rage is nice if you can fit it in. Then take PA, imp bull rush and knock-back.

Essence_of_War
2012-12-11, 05:57 PM
What's your starting level?

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-11, 07:15 PM
Warblades and Crusaders are always fun. I usually play casters, though so I don't have any builds off the top of my head.
Maybe, I know I have a Warblade THF build somewhere, Crusaders aren't my cup of tea though, mainly due the Maneuvers access.

I'm having lot's of fun with my goliath monk/cleric/fighter (dungeoncrasher). Though I recommend just going fighter for this case and maybe branch out later. A level of barbarian with mountain rage is nice if you can fit it in. Then take PA, imp bull rush and knock-back.
I hadn't considered Dungeoncrasher, it could work; but I talked with the DM before and from what he told me the game was going to be in the open, at least the one shot, so I guess it could be difficult to trigger dungeoncrashing.

What's your starting level?
ECL 6.

Essence_of_War
2012-12-12, 12:59 AM
If you've already got a warblade lying around, and you're not a fan of crusaders, might I suggest a Warforged Barbarian/Totemist -> Totem Rager?

Eat people's faces with natural attacks. Meditate on how you wish you were a magical beast and not a stinky robot. Profit. :smallbiggrin:

It's a little tighter on feats than I'd like if you don't have access to flaws though...

Gwendol
2012-12-12, 01:07 AM
The build doesn't rely on dungeoncrasher; it's knock-back that's the killer. You'll be wading into combat, tossing enemies left and right. If a tree happens to be in the way, then you trigger the extra damage. The thing is this though, if your team mates are able to capitalize on it, they will be able to score a lot of AoO's since the movement forced by knock-back provokes. When leveling eventually, go for shock trooper, and start having the enemy fly into each other and fall prone.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-12, 01:11 AM
Since it's Eberron, you could play a Child of Khyber (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20070416a). It's not overpowered or anything, but it ties you to the setting and it's very cool.
Add a dragonmark focus for 3k and that +2 CL really makes it happen. You could have a lifeforce theme with your dragonmark - shield -> vampiric touch -> enervation.
Martial class 4/Child of Khyber 2 can be reasonably solid.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-12, 11:34 AM
Child of Khyber does looks fun and lately I have been on a life-drain kick for some characters...yeah, I think I'll do that.

Snowbluff
2012-12-12, 03:11 PM
Another option would be to be a Drow, with ALL of the SLA feats. Your class features will cover most things for fighting, but you could do things like Silent Image with Deceptive Illusion (DotU). I think their is a Faerun feat that gives you more uses as well.

A Lesser Drow (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040215a&page=2) makes for a viable option.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-12, 04:43 PM
I gave it a little thought and came up with this, please tell me what you think of it:

Human Warblade 1/Warlock 3/ Child of Khyber 2
Feats: Hidden Talent: Dimension Hop, Power Attack, aberrant dragonmark and eldritch claws.

Snowbluff
2012-12-12, 04:48 PM
I gave it a little thought and came up with this, please tell me what you think of it:

Human Warblade 1/Warlock 3/ Child of Khyber 2
Feats: Hidden Talent: Dimension Hop, Power Attack, aberrant dragonmark and eldritch claws.

Wow, actually. You can use the Darkness SLA feats from DOTU if you want.

Beast Strike would also be a nice feat to use.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-12, 05:00 PM
That is tempting; but to get them I'd have to re-arrenge the levels and loose 6 HP, 8 Skill points, and would probably need flaws (which I am not sure if they will be allowed) to get everything online.

Snowbluff
2012-12-12, 05:06 PM
That is tempting; but to get them I'd have to re-arrenge the levels and loose 6 HP, 8 Skill points, and would probably need flaws (which I am not sure if they will be allowed) to get everything online.

Power Attack, your Dragon Mark, and Dimension Hop can all be taken at first level, right? You can use flaws to get one of those as well. Then you could take one at level 3.

If feats aren't allowed, then meh.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-12, 08:58 PM
For some reason I thought the feats from DotU were level 1 only. Perhaps instinctive darkness+devil's sight invocation for a nice 20% miss chance.

Snowbluff
2012-12-12, 09:11 PM
For some reason I thought the feats from DotU were level 1 only. Perhaps instinctive darkness+devil's sight invocation for a nice 20% miss chance.

Blend Into Shadows is really good as well. Since you can have Darkness at Will, you can have yourself as the target all the time. Then you hide.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-12, 09:30 PM
Well, that would be cool for a more stealth oriented build; but I am envisioning this as a more claw-your-face-off guy.

Snowbluff
2012-12-12, 09:33 PM
Well, that would be cool for a more stealth oriented build; but I am envisioning this as a more claw-your-face-off guy.

It would make your 20% concealment 50%, assuming they know where you are. You're right, the hide check requirement is annoying. Still, your enemies lose their dex to ac.

Just a heads up, you can use a Chausible of Fell Power to qualify for your claws.

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-12, 09:44 PM
Not sure if my DM would allow that, I know that by RAW it works; but my DM is picky about that kind of stuff.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-12, 10:36 PM
That sounds like a very badass build.
I'd advise against Beast Strike right now, though - you have to take Improved Unarmed Strike as a requirement and you seem tight on feats already.
If you can get Wall of Blades (with Warblade as your first level you won't be able to get it, but the extra skill points are very important), you would be able to swat magic aside with your claws, Dragonball-style :smallbiggrin:

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-12, 10:54 PM
I'd advise against Beast Strike right now, though - you have to take Improved Unarmed Strike as a requirement and you seem tight on feats already.
If you can get Wall of Blades (with Warblade as your first level you won't be able to get it, but the extra skill points are very important), you would be able to swat magic aside with your claws, Dragonball-style :smallbiggrin:

My plan was to get both Rabid Wolf Strike and Wall of Blades at level 6 via Iron Heart Vest and Tiger Claw Bracer (?)

Snowbluff
2012-12-12, 10:55 PM

Yeah, it's definitely nicer at higher levels, when a Monk's Belt and an item to increase your Unarmed Strike's size. Dealing double dice for unarmed is nice, though, as is having iterative attacks.

Improved Unarmed is also a prereq for Snap Kick.

P-choo! Thawk! Ka-choom!

That last sound is a nearby mountain blowing up.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-12, 11:28 PM
My plan was to get both Rabid Wolf Strike and Wall of Blades at level 6 via Iron Heart Vest and Tiger Claw Bracer (?)

Oh, that's a very cool idea and I approve heartily of the path taken so far. Good has been upheld. (cookies for whoever notices the reference)

Dusk Eclipse
2012-12-12, 11:37 PM
Oh, that's a very cool idea and I approve heartily of the path taken so far. Good has been upheld. (cookies for whoever notices the reference)

It might be a little expensive though.. 6000 GP and I can't remember how much GP I should have at level 6