PDA

View Full Version : Mini-Adventure for A Bard Alone?

Palanan
2012-12-11, 06:11 PM
First, a reminder to my players: this is a DM-only thread.

So, I need help. Owing to scheduling issues, I need to run a brief solo session for the party's bard-ish member:

In fact, the character is actually a beguiler who's just passing himself off as a bard. I could really use suggestions for a solo adventure that would give a fifth-level beguiler a good challenge, maybe riffing on the bard-imposter theme.

This will be my first session with the player, so it's a way for me to get a sense of his gaming style before I bring him into the main campaign. Are there any modules out there that would work?

Palanan
2012-12-12, 12:37 PM
Anyone? Help?

Time is short, and I could definitely use some help with this.

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-12, 12:57 PM
Have the PC stumble into the middle of a confidence scam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_confidence_tricks) being run by some NPCs. Put the PC in a position to either A) attempt to thwart the cons and help the mark, or B) help the cons when the mark becomes wise to what is happening and comes after them. You basically create two potential sets of appropriate-CR opponents for the PC - either the cons (a bunch of charisma-based rogues and the like) or the mark and whatever guards/town watch/etc that he is able to call upon.

If the PC takes option A, he is pitted against the cons and their abilities. His goal here is not necessarily to capture or kill the cons, just to keep the mark from falling prey to their plan. However, they will be very convincing, and may even convince the mark that the PC is the real con.

If the PC takes option B, he is pitted against the mark and his allies. His goal is once again not to capture or kill anyone, just to help the cons escape without getting caught himself. There will be a general 'hue and cry' at some point, so avoiding detection and capture while making good their escape will not be easy.

In either case, the PC has the potential to make a set of future allies and enemies that may recur later in the game.

Suteinu
2012-12-12, 01:13 PM
What is his Bard schtick? Does he pose as a traveling musician? An actor? Wit-cracking social critic?

AttilaTheGeek
2012-12-12, 05:11 PM
Have the PC stumble into the middle of a confidence scam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_confidence_tricks) being run by some NPCs. Put the PC in a position to...

That's a fantastic idea. If I ever do a solo campaign for a non-LG character, I know what I'm running.

Palanan
2012-12-12, 05:43 PM
Originally Posted by BowStreetRunner
Have the PC stumble into the middle of a confidence scam being run by some NPCs....

That is definitely a great concept, and one with a lot of potential. I love it. It's perfect for this guy.

And I wish I could do it justice...but I don't know if I'd be able to work it up in time. I'm terrible at plot, especially need-it-now plot. And I'd need to build both the cons and the mark and his allies.

Whew. Awesome idea...but time is short. Anyone wanna help me work this up? :smalltongue: