PDA

View Full Version : Can get Powerful Build (w/o Race Dice or >+1 La) + HeadlongRush?

INoKnowNames
2012-12-11, 07:59 PM
Pardon my Engrish. I'm planning a prospective character, and he's a La+ Goliath Barbarian. I'd like to give him Headlong Rush if possible, but that requires being an Orc. Any way to combine the two some how?

If not, any way to get an Orc, be it Half or whatever, Powerful Build? Though I'd prefer a Goliath with Headlong Rush, what with the Climbing Speed and Standing Jump goodies as well as Powerful Build.

Venusaur
2012-12-11, 08:54 PM
Half-Minotaur from DR 313 makes you large for +1 LA.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-11, 09:08 PM
If memory serves there is a feat called Jötunbrund that gives you either powerful build or something close. Would need someone else to verify the source and effects. It might be a human only thing, but hopefully i'm wrong.

Venusaur
2012-12-11, 09:35 PM
If memory serves there is a feat called Jötunbrund that gives you either powerful build or something close. Would need someone else to verify the source and effects. It might be a human only thing, but hopefully i'm wrong.

Jotunbrund is way worse than powerful build, and is human only. However, if you can get a flaw, human heritage lets you grab it.

INoKnowNames
2012-12-11, 11:09 PM
Half-Minotaur from DR 313 makes you large for +1 LA.

Unfortunately, that's not quite what I'm looking for... maybe I'm not being thorough enough with what I want...

I'm banking slightly on being able to take the Goliath Barbarian 1 Substitution Level, or some other ability that lets me stay at Medium Level most of the time, but become Large or Larger when enraged/in combat. I guess Powerful Build alone on an Orc isn't enough... my main plan was to try to get Headlong Rush on a Goliath some how, but I think I figured ut a work around if not....

Jotunbrund is way worse than powerful build, and is human only. However, if you can get a flaw, human heritage lets you grab it.

Recent experiences has determined that Jotunbrund is unfortunately as far away from the answer I'm looking for as possible.

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-11, 11:13 PM
Orc is the Requirement, Correct? Then pay for a Permant Expansion or something like that, Or perhaps ask your Dm to let you burn a feat for the Racial Orc Hertiage, which Allows you to count as a meamber of said race.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-12-11, 11:27 PM
Headlong Rush specifically requires Orc or Half-Orc.

I'd probably go Water Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfWater) and say you bought Expansion + Permanency from a Wizard 20 who had a Ring of Enduring Arcana. At standard NPC spellcasting fees (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) that would run you 3,700 gp total, and they would have a Dispel DC of 35.

Alternatively, go (Desert (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/environmentalRacialVariants.htm#desertHalfOrcs)) Half-Orc, use the Half-Humans variant from Races of Destiny p150 to get Jotunbrud, and you can still get Headlong Rush because he's still a Half-Orc. You can still put Enlarge Person + Permanency on that, but Jotunbrud specifically counts you as large rather than just one size bigger than what you currently are so it would be redundant.

INoKnowNames
2012-12-11, 11:41 PM
Orc is the Requirement, Correct? Then pay for a Permant Expansion or something like that, Or perhaps ask your Dm to let you burn a feat for the Racial Orc Hertiage, which Allows you to count as a meamber of said race.

Ooh! Racial Orc Heritage Feat! That sounds yummy! Where's that at?

Headlong Rush specifically requires Orc or Half-Orc.

I'd probably go Water Orc (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/races/elementalRacialVariants.htm#racesOfWater) and say you bought Expansion + Permanency from a Wizard 20 who had a Ring of Enduring Arcana. At standard NPC spellcasting fees (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#spell) that would run you 3,700 gp total, and they would have a Dispel DC of 35.

I'm not too keen on spellcasting services... one dispel magic check later, and the entire build would end up falling apart, and it's less justifiable when it comes to story than being a mongrel of Goliath and Orcish Descent.

Urpriest
2012-12-11, 11:48 PM
I suppose three levels of Stoneblessed are too much? Is Powerful Build important, or do you just need a way to temporarily become large a la Mountain Rage?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-12-11, 11:58 PM
I'm not too keen on spellcasting services... one dispel magic check later, and the entire build would end up falling apart, and it's less justifiable when it comes to story than being a mongrel of Goliath and Orcish Descent.

The dispel DC is 35. A regular Dispel Magic is only capable of beating a DC 30, a Greater Dispel Magic at caster level 20 would need to roll 15 or higher on the d20. If you're not even going to get into the highest levels (8th-9th level spells), dispelling is not something you should ever worry about.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-12, 12:03 AM

Jotunbrud is not powerful build.
It gives bonuses on opposed rolls, letting you count as large when advantageous. Trip, disarm, grapple, determining if something can eat you, etc.

Jotunbrud is not powerful build. It does not have an affect on weapon size.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-12, 01:58 AM
Why can't you be a orc with levels in Stoneblessed? Then you can get the Goliath Barbarian ACF.

Darrin
2012-12-12, 07:30 AM
Ooh! Racial Orc Heritage Feat! That sounds yummy! Where's that at?

There's a Greyhawk regional feat in Dragon #315 called "Orc-Blooded" that gives you Darkvision and Barbarian as a favored class. However, it also says, "You are not considered an orc for effects related to race." Presumably, you could ask the DM to handwave that last part.

If Dragon material is allowed, then the Stoneboned template from Dragon #350 may be what you're looking for: Str +4, Dex -4, Con +4, and Powerful Build, but LA +2.

INoKnowNames
2012-12-12, 02:22 PM
I suppose three levels of Stoneblessed are too much? Is Powerful Build important, or do you just need a way to temporarily become large a la Mountain Rage?

Why can't you be a orc with levels in Stoneblessed? Then you can get the Goliath Barbarian ACF.

That's my back up plan, if nothing else is compatable. Powerful Build is more a bonus to the Mountain Rage ability, but Mountain Rage is the main thing I'm looking for, now that I sleep on it. Rather like Goliaths, not having all the nasty penalties to mental stats and a large amount of strength for only 1 La. I'd been planning this character around the Goliath and that Mountain Rage, but I saw Headlong Rush and wanted to try to put it in somewhere, too.

The dispel DC is 35. A regular Dispel Magic is only capable of beating a DC 30, a Greater Dispel Magic at caster level 20 would need to roll 15 or higher on the d20. If you're not even going to get into the highest levels (8th-9th level spells), dispelling is not something you should ever worry about.

Still seems too high level to try to fool around with. Finding a near Epic Wizard for a buff and getting the cart-o'-gold(tm) to pay for it isn't something to just throw into a backstory...

There's a Greyhawk regional feat in Dragon #315 called "Orc-Blooded" that gives you Darkvision and Barbarian as a favored class.

YAY!

However, it also says, "You are not considered an orc for effects related to race." Presumably, you could ask the DM to handwave that last part.

Damn...

If Dragon material is allowed, then the Stoneboned template from Dragon #350 may be what you're looking for: Str +4, Dex -4, Con +4, and Powerful Build, but LA +2.

1 more La than Goliath would give... though that is an interesting find; I will save that.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-13, 10:12 PM
Jotunbrud is not powerful build.
It gives bonuses on opposed rolls, letting you count as large when advantageous. Trip, disarm, grapple, determining if something can eat you, etc.

Jotunbrud is not powerful build. It does not have an affect on weapon size.

Note the "or something close to it". And +1 weapon size isn't that big a deal. The trip, disarm, eating things, and especially the grapple are more important, and even then it generally pales in comparison to reach, which neither jotunbrund nor powerful build give.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-13, 10:56 PM
Note the "or something close to it". And +1 weapon size isn't that big a deal. The trip, disarm, eating things, and especially the grapple are more important, and even then it generally pales in comparison to reach, which neither jotunbrund nor powerful build give.

Sorry, I keep seeing people throw out Jotunbrud as a way of boosting weapon damage, often stacked with powerful build, enlarge person, strongarm bracers, etc... It's gotten to the point that I say it pretty much as a reflex, and will keep saying it.

INoKnowNames
2012-12-13, 11:00 PM

Heh. I guess I'm just one of those people, then. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KidsPreferBoxes)That non big deal is a big deal to me. Though it helps that it enables the prestige class I'm interested in.

After doing a bit of number crunching, this, combined with the Wild Template and the Water Orc, along with Goliah Stone Blessed, looks rather promissing. *edit*: there's even a feat that can be taken to remove the penalty to Dex, or the Skill and Speed Penalties the template brings. Epicsauce.

I'm just not sure what to fill the remaining levels with, now. My original plan was La 2 / Barbarian (mountain rage) 3 / WarHulk 10 / Barbarian 5, but I don't get anything out of the remaining Babarian Levels... especially now that it's Stoneboned / Goliath Stone Blessed 3 / Goliath Barbarian 1 / Warhulk 10 / x 4. Maybe Fighter 4? Or Fighter 2 / Psychic Warrior 2 for Bonus Feats?

I should be figuring out how much damage I might be able to do now... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gENVB6tjq_M)