PDA

View Full Version : Illusions & Darkness

Quiddle
2012-12-11, 09:23 PM
What happens if I cast an illusion, say Silent Image, to look like Deeper Darkness? Do I end up with a darkness that I can see through but other people can't?

Phelix-Mu
2012-12-11, 09:59 PM
Silent image just replicates the appearance of a spell, I think (you can silent image a fireball, but no thermal or sound components will occur, so it doesn't really behave like a fireball). I think deeper darkness spell has characteristics that wouldn't be replicated by simply the appearance of the spell. But anyone that disbelieves it can see through it, since it isn't real. I guess your main question is if someone with darkvision could see through it.

No clue. Someone with more ranks in Craft (illusion) than I must come forth.

AttilaTheGeek
2012-12-12, 12:06 AM
I think the rules are vague on matters like this because Wizards/Paizo can't possibly cover every single use of an illusion. From my understanding, whatever you can talk your DM/GM into goes.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-12, 12:52 AM
I think the rules are vague on matters like this because Wizards/Paizo can't possibly cover every single use of an illusion. From my understanding, whatever you can talk your DM/GM into goes.

This, in essence.

Of note, however, is the fact that, unlike the actual darkness spell, any sort of light source within the AoE will continue to radiate light that will be visible to those both within and outside the spell's AoE. The image line contains spells of the figment subschool which explicitly cannot make something appear to be something else. They can only create false images in space, though a particularly clever illusionist can occasionally get around this limitation.