PDA

View Full Version : A Mechanical Trap Idea

Xynphos
2012-12-12, 02:08 AM
A couple of friends and myself will soon be playing in a new campaign hosted by one of our other friends as the DM.

While thinking of character concepts together we settled that it would be cool to play as arms dealers. The only problem with this is that the firearms rules really seem to hate the players.

Then I thought, well there are traps that shoot javelins, arrows, darts, etc. So why not Sling Bullets.

The trap rules here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/traps.htm#designingATrap) say that a mechanical trap is anything that depends on a mechanism to operate.

So why not design a gun "trap" with the following statistics:

Search DC: 0 (CR -1, Cost -2000 GP) - we will be wielding this this trap as a weapon, we don't care if the enemy sees it.

Disable Device DC: 11 (CR -1, Cost -900 GP) - if an enemy takes our trap we wouldn't care if they could disable it or not.

Trigger Type: Touch, attached (-100 GP) - imagine a trigger on a real firearm

Reset Type: Automatic (+500 GP) - the next sling bullet automatically goes into the chamber

Bypass type: Hidden Switch (+200 GP) - the safety

Attack Bonus: +15 (CR +1, Cost +1000 GP)

Damage Bonus: +4 (+400 GP)

Miscellaneous Features:
Touch Attack: (CR +1)

Average Damage: 1d4+4(7) (CR +1)
Using the damage for a medium sling bullet

Base Cost: 1000 GP

We end up with a CR 1 trap that costs 100 GP. This is a craft(trapmaking) DC of 25

So Playground, Did I build this trap correctly?

Deophaun
2012-12-12, 02:20 AM
It also says that a trap is defined by its location and triggering conditions. Your mechanical trap has no location. Plus, how heavy is this thing, anyway?

By RAW, sure you can probably get away with it. Is a sane DM going to allow this weapon with a set-in-stone +15 attack bonus to sell for 100 gp and be capable of being wielded by someone on foot? No.

But, I give you points for finding a way to abuse the trap creation rules without magic.

Xynphos
2012-12-12, 02:36 AM
I couldn't find anywhere where it lists the weight of traps.

As for the location, it doesn't say that the location is permanent. So would,

be sufficient?

Deophaun
2012-12-12, 03:00 AM
As for the location, it doesn't say that the location is permanent. So would,

be sufficient?
Don't think so, because we're venturing into the shady world of RAI here. As I said, by RAW, I think it works. But the whole point of the builder setting the attack roll is that the builder is the one who aims the thing. If someone else is wielding it, then the builder obviously can't aim it. RAI, I'd say no go.

TuggyNE
2012-12-12, 04:10 AM
I'm not going to say this totally can't work, but... abusing trap rules to get firearms is a bad, bad idea. Just let the poor things lie; trap rules were not designed at all for the use you're trying to put them to, and they will inevitably have truly strange results.

I'm as big a fan as the next guy of weird exploits with poorly-worded trap rules and lots of creativity, just not in an actual game.