PDA

View Full Version : [AD&D 2e] Mystery

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-12, 03:02 AM
You awake on your bed. Around you you see a 10X10 foot room. For some reason the bed is in the center of the room instead of at the edge of the wall. Strange.

Across from the bed is a wooden door. The handle is a round knob.
The walls are all wooden planks.

At each end of the room across from each other are two drawers.

The room seems to be illuminated by a strange white light emanating from a window behind you.

But anyway, you scratch your eyes, and get out of bed.....fully dressed.....OK.

You are Grover Buckle. You love to read books, and swimming. Though your not very good at swimming....In all likelihood you actually DON'T, like swimming.....You have no idea why you brought that up.

You have no equipment on you except your clothes.

So....Your in this room. Yeah.....

What do you do?

stanleyindraven
2012-12-12, 07:47 AM
I will check the drawers for traps, if I find none then I will open them.

FRT
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
I am guessing two drawers on each wall, if not just the first two rolls will have to work.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-12, 01:26 PM
So you look for traps at the drawers....for som reason......Did you have a reason to think they would be trapped?....Maybe.

Anyway the top two drawers (One drawer on each side of the room) are not locked and untrapped. The other two seem to be locked but untrapped.

Anyway you open the two drawers and find a empty glass bottle and a book.

You try to open the book only to realize all its pages are fused together. Its a solid block of wood.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-12, 01:54 PM
I examine the bottle for any markings. Is there a title on the book and does it have any 'trigger' or other discerning marks?

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-12, 02:07 PM
The bottle has a slightly burnt at the edge label:

Lemoid Gnome Brew

"When being drunk just isn't enough"

The label seems to be yellow with age.

You find nothing interesting about the book.

Its title is

"Guide to Fighting Giant Slugs"

by Adam Malkovich

The book seems to radiate an aura of egotism.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-12, 02:39 PM
Is there a normal key lock on the drawers or something else? I also examine the bed, pillow, blankets and frame.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-12, 02:49 PM
Yes there is a normal key lock on the drawers.

Im not sure what you mean by frame but the bed and pillows can be examined.

The covers of the bed are brown, and so is the pillow. But the pillow is filled with colorful and unusual feathers.

You look under the bed. There you find a small simple bag with a rope that both acts to tighten the top, and to use as a backpack.

You unlocked your inventory screen!

Whats that? Whats your inventory screen? Well thats where you store your items. You can store 16 different items in that bag. Items stack indefinitely, but there is an unknown limit of what is the maximum size of items you can store in your inventory screen.

If you ever loose your backpack, your inventory screen will be locked again.

.....Wait you have an inventory screen? The hell? Is that natural?....You don't know......

PS:

I forgot to tell you that I would be secretly rolling things for you.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-12, 03:03 PM
(ok, cool!)

I pull out the sack and open it to see what it contains.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-12, 03:09 PM
Opening your bag triggers the inventory screen. Maybe your bag contains ultimate knowledge. You don't know because the second you open your bag your directed to your inventory screen. And you don't PUT things into your bag. You put them into your inventory screen.

So you fiddle with it a bit. Opening it upside down, and having something tumble out.

So indeed the bag can be used as a bag, in addition to triggering your inventory screen. But it might be a bit difficult.

A key tumbles out.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-12, 03:28 PM
I attempt to close the bag and my inventory screen. Then I will pick up the key and try to use it in the drawer locks.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-12, 03:32 PM
You do that. Realise just how weird the Keyholes are. One looks like a crescent moon, the other looks.... like a turtle.

How fortunate that they key you hold fits into the hole with the turtle...Only its 3 sizes too big.

OK, whats up with this size bull****? You where promised no meddling around with pointless item clicking! Will you be forced to duck tape a cat to a fence? And then wear its fur as a moustache?

This better go somewhere. :smallmad:

stanleyindraven
2012-12-12, 03:45 PM
I open my inventory and place the key in the first slot. I then place the book-block and the bottle into my inventory and close it. I then open the pillow and spill all of the feathers onto the floor.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-12, 03:51 PM
There is quite a range and variety of feathers. Some quite large, others very small. They range in color from white and yellow, to purple and rainbow.

Nothing in the pile of feathers.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-12, 03:54 PM
I pick up the two largest and sturdiest feathers. Also, I check to see if I am wearing a ring. I will then examine the walls for a door of any kind, then the floor.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-12, 03:57 PM
Being pretty thorough aren't we. Again I remind you, Im not going to be a bastard and just make you rifle through every single thing in the universe. This ISN'T going to be an adventure where you point and click on everything until the door opens. If things are going to be hidden, they are going to be hidden in the details, or in a failed secret wisdom check.

And I pointed out already that across from your bed is a wooden door.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-12, 04:08 PM
I knew I didn't observe something. I walk over and check the door. (What color were the sturdiest feathers?)

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-12, 04:13 PM
Purple and blue. There where 20 of the sturdiest ones.

The door seems to be unlocked. Suddenly, you feel yourself to be free. Like a influence has left your head. No longer is somebody narrating inside your head your actions. You are left to imagine and think on your own.

Remember, don't use videogame logic. Walls are not indestructible, and there are no invisible walls.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-12, 04:19 PM
Well, I put the 20 sturdy feathers in my pack and head out the door.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 03:13 AM
You enter into a small kitchen. There are lots of shelves and cupboards. There seems to be a chimney with no fire set in it. There is a cauldron in the chimney.

There is another door leading out of the kitchen.

PS:

Its also important for me to know whats your character thinking.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-13, 07:44 AM
'Great! Food!'

I will rummage about and see what I can find to eat. I will also check in the cauldron.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 10:49 AM
OK. After only a quick examination you find a jar of pickles, two uncooked meat slabs, And noodles in a pot.

Your not particularly hungry, but you don't remember the last time you ever where....

stanleyindraven
2012-12-13, 11:15 AM
I place the jar of pickles in my pack then open the cupboards and peruse the contents. Then, if there is nothing too out of place I will open the new door.

'Well, at least I will have something for later.'
'Wonder what else is in here.'

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 11:46 AM
You find a wine rack....and Oh my gods (Unless your an atheist):

TWO bottles of wine with the following

DeQuirms Finest
----------

For whatever reason you think that this wine is AWESOME. Like some super rare wine. You heard about it.....You think...

....You also find an uncorker.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-13, 11:50 AM
Take the corkscrew and bottles then leave.
'This is great, I can either drink these or sell them. Guess the number means the date it was bottled. Looks like whoever lives here is a lush.'

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 12:01 PM
You open the door into a corridor.

The corridor leeds to the left and the right. There are 6 doors to each side of the corridor. At the end of each corridor very anachronistically are reinforced iron doors. Each door has an emblem on it.

You also realize that the room has a glass ceiling.

All you see is bright whiteness. No sky, no stars. No sun. Just pure white.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-13, 12:03 PM
'Willing to bet one has a turtle.'
I will check the first door to my left on the same side i came out of.
'Wonder if anyone else is here?'

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 12:27 PM
You open the door and ste--

OOH bjuz! The door opens up into nothing. You are able to get a good look at where you are.

You seem to be in a cobblestone tower that stretches down for who knows how many levels. Far below you see a flat plane. You can't make out any of the details so you don't know whats below.

You look up. The tower seems to stretch into a black wormhole.

You look to the left. Nothing. No other windows anything. Same to the right.

Again, no color except whiteness.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-13, 12:58 PM
'That is just grand.'
I close the door, go to the one next to it and open it.
"Let's try this again shall we."

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 12:59 PM
You open up.....To the exact same door. Thinking about it, you realize that the door you came out of before could not realistically fit into the area that you see from the outside.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-13, 01:05 PM
I will check each non-barred door until I find something different.
'Magic seems to be at work here, or I'm loosing it.'

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 01:13 PM
All the other doors seem to be locked though.

What next?

stanleyindraven
2012-12-13, 01:18 PM
I pull out the Turtle Key and see if it matches any of the locks.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 01:22 PM
Nope. These keyholes all look normal.

The symbols on the reinforced doors, are Chicken, and Alligator.

Maybe you can open the doors some other way?

stanleyindraven
2012-12-13, 01:30 PM
I attempt to use one purple and one blue sturdy feather to pick the lock on one of the non-barred doors.

[roll0]
My chance is 20%, improvised tools takes that down a bit though.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 01:34 PM
You fail, unfortunately. But the feathers seem OK.

Also can you review whats in your inventory?

stanleyindraven
2012-12-13, 01:44 PM
'Lets see, I have two bottles of wine DeQuirms Finest 6830, a corkscrew (Does it have any symbols on it?), a wooden book-brick about slugs, 20 feathers, a jar of pickles (If I shake it does anything metal clink?). Wonder what I might be able to use here.'
I then go back to the kitchen and look for salt and something to light a fire with.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 01:47 PM
Ok cool. So you have 11 free slots. Also you do hear something pattle in the pickle jar.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-13, 01:49 PM
I will open the pickle jar and try to get whatever isn't a pickle, and I will try to eat one too.
'Figures there'd be something in the pickles, you know, being in a pickle of a situation afterwards.'

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 01:57 PM
Well you take out what appears to be a wooden spider.....And it animates. It starts moving and stabs your arm with its sharp legs.

As it falls to the ground you accidentally crush it under your feet.

As you step off of it, you find nothing but sawdust and a little coin.

On one side of the coin is a Open mouth with its tongue stuck open. On the tongue is the very same coin.

On the other side is a closed mouth.

As you contemplate this mystery you eat a pickle.

+1 Nutrition!

You unlocked: Status Screen!

Most of the status effects are locked, so you can't see what other ones there are (Except for health). You seem to have a maximum limit of 10 nutrition.

Nutrition can be exchanged into HP during non-combat or non-critical moments.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-13, 02:00 PM
'Incredible!'
Well, no poison appears on the Status Screen, so I guess I am okay for now.'
I will pick up the coin and flip it, catching it to see what side it lands on. If nothing strange happens I will put it on my tongue, on each side to see if something happens.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 02:10 PM
As it flips it makes a little cartoon type thing (You know, as when you flip two images to make it look like its moving) like a mouth eating the the coin.

You put it on your tongue......It sticks to it. As you close your mouth you accidentally end up SWALLOWING the coin.

You unlock another thing on your status screen:

Imagination! +1 (Out of 10)

You can use imagination to create, alter, fuse, and un-fuse objects. Depending on how complex the modification is, the costs will vary.

Generally creating 1 simple object costs 1 imagination.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-13, 02:38 PM
'Neato. Seeings how the book is fused into a brick right now maybe I should do something with that.'
I will attempt to use my Imagination to un-fuse the book pages/cover.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 02:46 PM
You misunderstand. The book, is just a fake. Its just a wooden fake book. But as you examine the book once more you succeed at a wisdom check you failed before.

It has a seem in the middle of the pages! With a little force, the book opens to reveal a double sided key.

And a note:

Chimney

stanleyindraven
2012-12-13, 02:54 PM
I examine the key to see what the ends look like.
'Can't believe I didn't see that before.'
Then I look at the chimney.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-13, 05:19 PM
The keys look rather plain. They don't fit any of the doors yet.

The chimney is man sized. It seems about 10 feet tall. You can climb it, if you tried.

The flat ledges are offset by the ability to lean back against the wall so you have to climb it with no bonus or penalty. If you come up with something clever to help you, you might get a bonus.

Looking up in the chimney it leads to more white void.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-13, 07:32 PM
Did the keys fit the drawers?

I look at the fireplace.
'This seems like a bad idea.'

If the keys do not fit the drawers I will attempt to climb the dirty chimney.

55% chance.
[roll0]

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-14, 01:52 AM
It unfortunately does not.

You manage to climb through the chimney and get COVERED in soot.

You end up in the chimney of a large library. You see rows of bookshelves. The void is stronger here, and is projecting this sort of white fog.

You would need to more accurately explore it in order to map its full size.

The bookshelves buckle under the weight of the dust covered books.

Just then. You hear a noise.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-14, 07:44 AM
"Hello," I call out. Then move over to the closest shelf and start to skirt the edge of the room.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-14, 07:50 AM
You see something slither out of the corner of your eye.

You hear multiple footsteps on the floor. The Void fog intensifies. You only see 7 feet in front of you.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-14, 07:59 AM
I will try climbing the book shelf.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-14, 09:42 AM
You try to climb the bookshelf, but then a snakelike thing zooms out of the void and manages to smack you to the ground.

-1 HP.

Roll initiative if you want and Im drawing a map.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-14, 09:52 AM
[roll0]
Initiative.
"Son-of-a---" I blurt out as i plant my feet back to the ground and pull up my fists.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-14, 01:52 PM
Ok since you don't have a weapon, and rolled a 1 (And we are using the: Each side rolls 1 die per turn and each weapon modifies your initiative roll), you go first.

Also you have no armor. Just a quick reminder.

My description may have made it sound poorly, but I meant that the snake thing erupted from the bookshelf.

Each square is 4X4 feet.

As you stumble to your feet, you realize that ANOTHER snake thing without a head has erupted from the bookshelf.

http://i786.photobucket.com/albums/yy146/MasterOfThePlanes/FirstCampaignPic_zps01989b42.png

stanleyindraven
2012-12-14, 02:01 PM
'Nice Map!'
I will punch the head and assume the other is a tail, can i move to G12 as well?

"Have at ye!"

Punch [roll0]
Damage [roll1] (non-lethal)

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-14, 03:03 PM
Your fist smacks against one of the snake thingies with a satisfying shpock.

You realize the thingy had the texture of wood to the touch, yet was soft like skin.

You immediately start to hear the heavy bookshelf shaking heavily as multiple bumps are heard from behind it.

Two more snake things erupt, both barely missing you, but as you do manage to dodge the other two thingies, the third one manages to land a solid blow into your ribcage.

-1 damage.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-14, 03:24 PM
'Screw this!'
I make a break for the whiteness, away from the chimney.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-14, 03:35 PM
You run around the bookshelf and, as you look to your right, you see!

A large wooden Octopus spewing white (Probably the stuff thats obscuring your vision), whilst suspended from the bookshelves using its tentacles. The tentacles lack the poppy sticky things, so they look more like snakes then tentacles.

To your left, is just a flat wall.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-14, 03:45 PM
I look for the eye of the beast, then pull the corkscrew from my inventory and will have to roll a new initiative as I try to stab its eye out.
[roll0]
Guessing a weapon speed of 1 or 2?
'This is crazy!'

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-14, 03:49 PM
WARNING! Taking thing from your inventory takes 1 turn.

But thats OK.

The Octpopus spends its turn pulling itself towards you, still spewing the white smoke, as the two immensely heavy bookshelves it suspends itself apon rattle and sway.

And its a weapon speed of 1, and damage of 1D2

stanleyindraven
2012-12-14, 03:53 PM
At least it is lethal damage.
Close in and attack the eye.
[roll0]
damage[roll1]

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-14, 03:56 PM
You stab it in the face, hitting an eye directly. No blood spurts out at all.

The Octopus sways in pain (swaying the bookshelf with it) and swings another arm at you. It misses, but the second one grabs you and wraps around you, capturing you.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-14, 03:59 PM
Is my arm free? if so, stab at thee [roll0] damage [roll1]

'Sweet Critical!'

I struggle.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-14, 04:03 PM
Nope you where caught. Try to struggle a hand loose with a STR check.

And just a quick warning. The enemies I will use will be quite tough. Try to outsmart them then run headfirst with no armor and a corkscrew.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-14, 04:07 PM
Str check to wriggle free an arm [roll0]

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-14, 04:07 PM
You succeed. The Tentacle tightens inflicting 2 damage.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-14, 04:09 PM
I stab the tentacle [roll0] [roll1]

Need to convert nutrition to hp. But How!

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-14, 04:10 PM
The tentacle lets you drop. You can convert nutrition if you are in a calm area and given time to digest.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-14, 04:14 PM
'Well, hopefully that busted eye will keep it busy.'

I stab the eye again, now that I am free.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Initiative
[roll2]

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-14, 04:23 PM
You miss.

The Octopus lets go of the shelves with 4 of its arms and proceeds to try to smack you away. It manages to smack you and fling you against the wall.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-14, 04:26 PM
'That Sucked!'
I will take the time to stand, then if it is not upon me again, I will run for the chimney.
[roll0]

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-14, 04:41 PM
You manage to scamper away. The Octopus tries lobbing some books at you on your way out. You almost break your neck at the speed you tumble through the chimney.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-14, 09:06 PM
'That was a horrible idea.'
Time to start a fire, cook some noodles and meat and heal up, and that is what I try to do.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-15, 11:02 AM
Yup. Cooking noodles and stuff.

Still cooking.....

Still cooking........

Done!

You gonna eat it?

stanleyindraven
2012-12-15, 03:08 PM
If the noodles still look like normal noodles then I will eat them.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-15, 03:13 PM
No they spontaneously transform into giant wasps!

Nah. They are just noodles. But you notice that the noodles are crawling with some weird discoloration. Maybe save it for later.

Fortunately the meats and the stuff you find is in normal condition.

The meat you cooked gives you 7 nutrition

Total 6

and you have 2 more meat slabs, and a jug of milk.

Anyway, you can convert nutrition to HP on a 1-1 basis.

Also check out Myths and Magic. Its a 2e update that I REALY like, and a sampling of the first 10 levels are available online. If you like it, we can switch to it with practically no effort.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-15, 09:52 PM
i will heal my four HP. and then conduct a thorough search of the kitchen.

I will check out that system thing and let you know.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-15, 10:02 PM
(Looks good, If you want we can switch to it and i'll read the book more in depth.)

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-16, 02:50 AM
You find nothing else except a spoon.

So whats your plan?

stanleyindraven
2012-12-16, 02:12 PM
take the spoon.
'Time to MAcGuyver this!'
I will rattle the wine bottles for anything I may have missed. Then I will go out into the hall and see if the keys fit any unlocked doors.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-16, 02:29 PM
Anyway, all you find in the other wine bottles are dust.

The keys do not even fit any of the doors in the corridor.

PS: Im also thinking of possibly switching from a 1d20 system to one with a batter bell curve like 2D10 to avoid bull**** bad/good luck.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-16, 03:49 PM
That may work well for me.
I will brave the chimney again, but try holding myself inside until i am sure the octopus isn't right there.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-16, 03:54 PM
Are you sure that your ready to brave the chimney again?

Anyway, we need to update your character sheet.

PS: Your Corkscrew is bent up and cannot be used as a weapon as of yet.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-17, 09:19 AM
Chimney is no problem, just a scouting mission again.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-17, 10:07 AM
Mkay. Anyway, as you approach the chimney, you can see that white smoke has begun pouring through it. You can even see some tentacles waving around inside the chimney as you look up.

Still. This can be taken advantage of.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-18, 10:00 AM
Hmm, Is the fire still smouldering?

If so, I will try to get it going again.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-20, 07:08 AM
OK you do.

After a while the haze of the brown smoke starts to overwhelm the white "Air ink".

You start to hear a wheezing sound.....What? Octopuses don't breath air! Thats idiotic! HOW IS A OCTOPUS CHOKING ON SMOKE!

The Octopus seemed to be so determined to get you, that it chocked to death.

As you look up the chimney, you see its tentacles turn to dust, and you hear a slight ring of coins upstairs.

OOC: Sorry for not responding in a while.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-20, 07:15 AM
OOC: Its ok, things happen.

I will put the fire out and then start the ascent to the next level again.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-20, 09:49 AM
Anyway, kudos for defeating the octopus in a way I didn't expect you too. I gave you like a billion hints to knock the library shelves over. Still you still thought of a different way so kodus.

Anyway, the DC to climb up the chimney is 15.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-20, 09:54 AM
Oh, my Climb Walls roll [roll0]
Unless you want a Str/Dex check [roll1]

'Yay! I defeated that stupid thing, finally.'

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-20, 10:06 AM
Remember, we switched too myths and magic, and a 2D10 system.

stanleyindraven
2012-12-20, 10:14 AM
OOC: Oh yeah, don't mind me, I am posting at work right now.

[roll0]

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-20, 10:55 AM
.....Il try to update your character.

Scowling Dragon
2012-12-22, 05:40 PM
OK. I don't have the resources at hand to fill out your character sheet. But please do so.