PDA

View Full Version : Help with Wizard build

Story
2012-12-12, 04:08 PM
Hi, this is my first time creating a character, so I figured I should post this to make sure I did everything correctly and get advice.

The party is 4th level, but I'm starting at level 3 due to being Necropolitan. I did 25 point buy for the stats, and rather shamelessly dumped Con.

Anyway, my biggest concern is healing. The previous advice I got here was to buy a Wand of Lesser Vigor, but as far as I can tell, I couldn't actually use it, since it's not on the class spell list. Even with max ranks in UMD, I'd only have a 20% chance of successfully activating it. The only other option I can see is to pay an evil cleric for Black Sand (60gp).

Another issue is that there will be a cleric of Pelor in the party, and as I understand it, they tend to be anti-undead. Hence, me spending all my money on a Hat of Disguise and putting max ranks in the Disguise skill. Will this actually work?

The Wand of Nerveskitter is contingent on it being ruled to be usable while flat footed. Otherwise, I guess I'll find something else to get. Are there any good level 0 or 1 scrolls I should get?

As for feats, Skill focus (Religion) is intended for future Prc qualifications. Spell Focus (Conjuration) is to allow access to Cloudy Conjuration. Is it worth the cost of two feats? It looks really good, especially as I'll be immune to the cloud.

Here is what I have so far

Old Necropolitan Fire Elf
STR: 6 DEX: 14 CON: N/A INT: 22 WIS: 11 CHA: 12
Chaotic Good

Wizard 3
Elf substitution levels 1 and 3
Domain ACF (Conjuration)
Martial Wizard ACF
Weasel familiar

Spells per day:
7/5/4 (1 slot on each level reserved for Domain spell)

Stats:
Bab: +1
Initiative: +6
Saves: +3 Fort, +9 Reflex, +5 Will (+1/3/3 without familiar)

Feats:
Improved Initiative (bonus)
Alertness (from familiar)
Arcane Disciple (Destruction Domain)
Spell Focus (Conjuration)
Cloudy Conjuration
Lifebond (to familiar)

Flaws:
Pathetic (Constitution)
Noncombatant

Class skills:
Concentration: 6
Decipher Script: 1
Know (Arcana): 5
Know (Architechture): 1
Know (Dungeoneering): 1
Know (Local): 1
Know (Nature): 1
Know (Nobility): 1
Know (Planes): 6
Know (Religion): 6
Spellcraft: 6

Cross class skills:
Bluff: 3
Move Silently: 3
Sleight of Hand: .5

Equipment:
Pearl of Power 1
Wand of Disguise Undead (1 charge)
Wand of Nerveskitter (10 charges)
Wand of Inflict Light Wounds (20 charges)
Scroll of Sculpted Invisible Caltrops
Scroll of Kelgore's Grave Mist
Scroll of Fell Drain Sonic Snap
Quaal’s feather token – tree
Spellbook
Component pouch
Backpack

28 gp left over

Spells:
1st level:
Mage Armor
Grease
Silent Image
Summon Monster I
Benign Transposition
Blockade
Enlarge Person
Dawnburst
Persistent Blade
Sheild
Charm Person
True Strike
Ray of Enfeeblement
Inflict Light Wounds

2nd level:
Web
False Life
Glitterdust
Disguise Undead

Edit: Added Martial Wizard ACF, changed Meager Fortitude flaw to Pathetic (Constitution)

Edit2: Changed Skill Focus (Knowledge Religion) to Arcane Disciple (Destruction Domain) and added a tentative spell list.

Edit3: Added Disguise Undead. Replaced hat and disguise items with pearl of power and various scrolls. Shuffled around the skillpoints a little.

Agincourt
2012-12-12, 04:26 PM
Anyway, my biggest concern is healing. The previous advice I got here was to buy a Wand of Lesser Vigor, but as far as I can tell, I couldn't actually use it, since it's not on the class spell list. Even with max ranks in UMD, I'd only have a 20% chance of successfully activating it. The only other option I can see is to pay an evil cleric for Black Sand (60gp).

I don't think you want a Wand of Lesser Vigor. As a Necropolitan, I don't think you are considered living any more. Lesser Vigor works on a "living creature touched." You're going to need something that does negative energy to heal.

Another issue is that there will be a cleric of Pelor in the party, and as I understand it, they tend to be anti-undead. Hence, me spending all my money on a Hat of Disguise and putting max ranks in the Disguise skill. Will this actually work?

That depends on what the cleric does. Being in disguise might fool him in the short term, but in the long run he's bound to do something that gives away the game. For example, when he tries to cast a positive energy spell and you're damaged, he's bound to figure something out.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-12-12, 04:27 PM
Even though you lost a level to Necropolitan, you've still done enough adventuring to gain 4th level, so you can still start out with the standard wealth of a 4th level character. Anything less would be downright unfair.

You can say you visited the Frog God's Fane in Complete Scoundrel to get that Skill Focus feat for 2,000 gp instead of spending a feat on it.

Martial Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard), get Improved Initiative instead of Scribe Scroll. Use a CC ACF at Wizard 5 instead of the bonus feat.

Get a Hummingbird familiar, from Dragon 323. It uses the stats of a Thrush (DMG) and grants +4 initiative, which would be doubled to +8 from your Elf Wizard 3 sub level.

Say you were made into a Necropolitan by a Dread Necromancer 8+ who had the entire Corpsecrafter line of feats and in the area of a Desecrate spell with an evil altar present, for +6 HP/level, +4 Str and Dex, +4 initiative, +10 ft. movement, +2 natural armor, +4 turn resistance, etc.

Don't take Meager Fortitude, it's not worth it when later on you get one-shot by a Disintegrate. Take Insomniac (http://alt.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=258440#30) instead, there's no drawback for a necropolitan.

For any 2nd level and higher spells you want to learn, pay Spell Level x 50 gp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#arcaneMagicalWritings) instead of buying a scroll. Don't forget about the 100 gp per page for writing it in your book.

Lesser Vigor is a Conjuration [healing] so it won't work on undead (or rather, it will harm undead instead of healing). Get a Wand of Inflict Light Wounds instead, maybe pick up Arcane Disciple for Destruction so you can freely use it, and even cast that 1/day. In that case, each 1st level Pearl of Power you get is another Inflict Light Wounds you can cast on yourself each day.

Andion Isurand
2012-12-12, 04:29 PM
For a way to heal yourself, Icefane Corpse from Dungeon Magazine 109 is a good spell for you to consider once you hit level 5.
http://www.obsidianportal.com/campaign/shackledcityzero/wikis/icefane-corpse

Icefane Corpse
Necromancy [Cold]
Level: Sor/Wiz 3
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Targets: One undead creature
Duration: 1 round/level
Saving Throw: Fortitude negates (harmless)
Spell Resistance: Yes (harmless)

You infuse the affected undead with a powerful burst of necromantic cold. Affected undead gain the following benefits:

•One of the undead creature’s natural attacks becomes infused with supernatural cold, and inflicts 1d6 additional points of cold damage on a hit.
•Fire resistance 10.
•Any time the undead suffers cold damage, it is instead healed for an amount of hit points equal to the damage it would have suffered. Any resistance to cold that the undead creature might have does not reduce the amount of healing that it receives when exposed to cold damage.
Material Component: A wight’s thumbnail.

If you gain the fire subtype via Mantle of the Fiery Spirit spell... then use Icefane Corpse spell/item... you'd heal 50% more... or 100% more if you take Peircing Cold damage.

Story
2012-12-12, 05:32 PM
Even though you lost a level to Necropolitan, you've still done enough adventuring to gain 4th level, so you can still start out with the standard wealth of a 4th level character. Anything less would be downright unfair.

My calculations already take into account the full 5.4k WBL. But becoming Necropolitan costs 3k.

You can say you visited the Frog God's Fane in Complete Scoundrel to get that Skill Focus feat for 2,000 gp instead of spending a feat on it.

I thought about it, but I can't afford to write it into my backstory, and I'm not sure if I'll get a chance to visit it before level 6.

Martial Wizard (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#wizard), get Improved Initiative instead of Scribe Scroll. Use a CC ACF at Wizard 5 instead of the bonus feat.

As I understand it, Martial Wizard requires giving up all the Wizard bonus feats, which means I can't take an ACF (Spontaneous Divination) at level 5.

Get a Hummingbird familiar, from Dragon 323. It uses the stats of a Thrush (DMG) and grants +4 initiative, which would be doubled to +8 from your Elf Wizard 3 sub level.

I've been avoiding Dragon material so far. I guess I could try it and see if the DM objects.

Say you were made into a Necropolitan by a Dread Necromancer 8+ who had the entire Corpsecrafter line of feats and in the area of a Desecrate spell with an evil altar present, for +6 HP/level, +4 Str and Dex, +4 initiative, +10 ft. movement, +2 natural armor, +4 turn resistance, etc.

I don't think Corpsecrafter actually works.

For any 2nd level and higher spells you want to learn, pay Spell Level x 50 gp (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicOverview/arcaneSpells.htm#arcaneMagicalWritings) instead of buying a scroll. Don't forget about the 100 gp per page for writing it in your book.

I haven't bought any spells yet. But that's what I plan to do if I do need too.

Lesser Vigor is a Conjuration [healing] so it won't work on undead (or rather, it will harm undead instead of healing). Get a Wand of Inflict Light Wounds instead, maybe pick up Arcane Disciple for Destruction so you can freely use it, and even cast that 1/day. In that case, each 1st level Pearl of Power you get is another Inflict Light Wounds you can cast on yourself each day.

Good idea.

That depends on what the cleric does. Being in disguise might fool him in the short term, but in the long run he's bound to do something that gives away the game. For example, when he tries to cast a positive energy spell and you're damaged, he's bound to figure something out.

Do you think just claiming that I'm not hurt would work? Before Mass Cure Light Wounds, all of the healing spells require touch, so he won't be able to unwillingly heal me before level 9.

By the way, is it valid to take the Pathetic flaw for constitution? It looks like it is, and if so, it's strictly better than Meager Fortitude, since it provides literally no drawback after becoming Necropolitan.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-12-12, 06:38 PM
As I understand it, Martial Wizard requires giving up all the Wizard bonus feats, which means I can't take an ACF (Spontaneous Divination) at level 5.
Gain
Bonus feat list (as fighter; bonus feats gained at 1st level and every five levels as wizard).
Lose
Scribe Scroll, wizard bonus feat list.

You don't lose your Wizard bonus feats, it just switches which list they're drawn from. You can still trade that Wizard 5 bonus feat for a CC ACF.

I don't think Corpsecrafter actually works.
The ritual involved in creating a Necropolitan is very secretive, but nothing implies that it does not include any necromancy spells. It should still work.

Do you think just claiming that I'm not hurt would work? Before Mass Cure Light Wounds, all of the healing spells require touch, so he won't be able to unwillingly heal me before level 9.
Make your character dislike divine magic in general, and never accept any spells from the Cleric as a matter of trust and maybe even superstition. "I have my own spells, I don't need any of yours."

By the way, is it valid to take the Pathetic flaw for constitution? It looks like it is, and if so, it's strictly better than Meager Fortitude, since it provides literally no drawback after becoming Necropolitan.
As long as the total of your ability modifiers is less than eight at 1st level, this should work out fine.

Story
2012-12-12, 07:17 PM
Gain
Bonus feat list (as fighter; bonus feats gained at 1st level and every five levels as wizard).
Lose
Scribe Scroll, wizard bonus feat list.

You don't lose your Wizard bonus feats, it just switches which list they're drawn from. You can still trade that Wizard 5 bonus feat for a CC ACF.

I added that. Thanks.

By the way, I had another idea. I could say that I paid a Cleric to cast Guidance of the Avatar on me before I disguised myself as my pre-death self. This gives a +20 bonus to my Disguise check, which means that if my disguise lasts indefinitely, I may not even need the hat. And since it's nonmagical, there's no Will save and it works against True Seeing. Of course, there's the risk that my disguise might be damaged for whatever reason. What do you think?

VGLordR2
2012-12-12, 07:49 PM

I seem to remember that the substitution level doesn't double the initiative bonus. I don't have the text on hand, but I think it only doubles skill bonuses and save bonuses.

Sudain
2012-12-12, 08:12 PM
There's a feat somewhere that allows you to do negative damage on touch attacks. librio mortis?

Gildedragon
2012-12-12, 08:22 PM
Unguent of timelessness on your body just after dying ought to keep ya fresh.
There is the Positive Energy Resistance feat to protect you from area of effect heals.
Turning may be a problem for you with a Pelorite

Edit: Feat is in LM

Phelix-Mu
2012-12-12, 08:45 PM
Turning may be a problem for you with a Pelorite

Indeed, I foresee there are lots of things, from detect undead to turning (if the guy has Greater Turning from Sun Domain, this spells real trouble) that will be problematic. While you can fudge things for a while (maybe you run away when he turns undead because you are coincidentally afraid of something else that was going on...sounds like Bluff ranks...), eventually things will come to a head and the truth will come out.

The revelation stands to go in one of a few ways:

1.) The cleric is outraged and stronger than you. You probably bite it.

2.) The cleric is outraged, and tries to kill you, but you are strong enough with your magic to have protection. This is gonna be hard. Pelorites, especially if they follow certain flavor out there, tend to specialize in undead slaying and healing, both of which will hurt you. Other people with better knowledge of necromantic countermeasures and counterspelling can advise you on what to do when the cleric finally tracks you down, heal spell at the ready.

3.) You, from the earliest opportunity in the campaign, work to be the friend of the cleric and all he stands for. Help the sick, donate to charity, use your magic for the common good. A decent cleric may eventually accept that the existence of one good-ish undead is an acceptable thing. Unfortunately, this path also means that, at some point in your friendship, it would probably be best to come right out and tell the cleric the truth. Deceiving your friends about major things is distinctively unfriend-like.

I also echo that the elven substitution level 3 doesn't improve hummingbird, read it somewhere on this very site, IIRC. Something that gives a bonus to Will save may be good early in the campaign, specifically if you might accidentally get healed by cleric, since cure spells allow Will saves for half. Even half of a heal, though, will do you in, so at higher levels, Fort buff is probably best (though note undead are immune to half the things that require fort saves).

Gildedragon
2012-12-12, 09:06 PM
As for the familiar, I'm partial to the moth/butterfly's +3 Spellcraft

Phelix-Mu
2012-12-12, 09:11 PM
What are the implications of having a vermin for a familiar? Can't tell if that sounds cool, or really weird.

"What are you doing?"

"I'm talking to this butterfly."

*awkward pause, everyone looks at the wizard*

Gildedragon
2012-12-12, 09:53 PM
Which is magnificent for the whole "I may be undead but am not a monster" thing the OP might need with a pelorite around.
Look! I care even for tiny living beings which are regarded as a source of beauty and delight...
This is also a bonus from the hummingbird.

Not so for a rat or raven familiar, those you want to stay away from.

Story
2012-12-12, 10:07 PM
Unguent of timelessness on your body just after dying ought to keep ya fresh.

Necropolitans are described as having dry and withered skin, so I assumed they just became like that, rather than rotting over time. And your eyes change immediately, so you still need a disguise check for that.

at higher levels, Fort buff is probably best (though note undead are immune to half the things that require fort saves).

May I ask why? As far as I can tell, the only major danger undead need fort saves for is Disintegrate. It seems weird to spend resources specifically on increasing it, just to protect against one spell that won't come up until much later and can be defended against in other ways.

Edit: Here's my planned spell list. Is there anything I should change?

1st level:
Mage Armor
Grease
Silent Image
Summon Monster I
Benign Transposition
Blockade
Enlarge Person
Dawnburst
Persistent Blade
Sheild
Charm Person
True Strike
Ray of Enfeeblement
Inflict Light Wounds

2nd level:
Web
False Life
Glitterdust
Arcane Turmoil

Edit 2: I just noticed the Lifebond feat in Libris Mortis which appears better than Improved Turn Resistance. It gives +4 turn resistance and also +2 to saves as long as the given creature is within 60ft. The obvious choice is to use it on my familiar. The bonus is strictly better than Improved Turn Resistance, but of course the downside is that I'll lose it if my familiar dies. What do you think?

Aracor
2012-12-13, 09:33 AM
How are you getting Inflict Light Wounds as a wizard spell?

Story
2012-12-13, 10:37 AM

Darth Stabber
2012-12-13, 05:15 PM

So many better domains. Yeah, you sure can spot heal yourself:smallsigh:. Just buy some blacksand and put it in your undies. Ask the cleric if he wants to see your darkness and unzip.

Story
2012-12-13, 05:24 PM
Actually Black Sand doesn't heal undead. You need a spell that specifically says it heals undead. If all it took was negative energy damage, I could just use Chill Touch all the time.

And yes, I wish there was a better way. Wasting a feat just to get a single weak spell is painful.

Gildedragon
2012-12-13, 11:10 PM
Actually Black Sand doesn't heal undead. You need a spell that specifically says it heals undead. If all it took was negative energy damage, I could just use Chill Touch all the time.

And yes, I wish there was a better way. Wasting a feat just to get a single weak spell is painful.

True. It seems sensible that Black Sand would heal the undead (as a Black Sand sand storm will create undead) but ask your DM. It seems to be the general case that neg-erg heals the undead, but chill-touch goes against that. Though chill-touch specifically does nothing but panic them.

As to using your familiar: Canny, you shouldn't be letting your familiar die anyway, and if your familiar dies you're boned anyway.

Story
2012-12-13, 11:44 PM
I just discovered that thanks to the Disguise Undead spell, I don't really need the hat, since I can just cast it every day and noone will be able to tell unless they touch me.

I've replaced it with the following

Pearl of Power 1
Wand of Disguise Undead (1 charge)
Scroll of Kelgore's Grave Mist
Scroll of Fell Drain Sonic Snap
Quaal’s feather token – tree

P.S. Amusingly, it looks like I can share Disguise Undead with my familiar, since the familiar share spell ability specifically says it ignores type restrictions. Of course, I don't see any real point in doing this.

nedz
2012-12-14, 07:33 AM
P.S. Amusingly, it looks like I can share Disguise Undead with my familiar, since the familiar share spell ability specifically says it ignores type restrictions. Of course, I don't see any real point in doing this.

I don't know if you are open to Dragon Magazine material, but you ought to be aware of the following feat.

Betrayal of the Spirit Linked — (DR336 p108)
Turns you familiar into a skeleton or zombie: you lose the normal bonuses, but get DR 5/slashing(Skeleton) or DR 5/bludgeoning(Zombie)

Story
2012-12-15, 08:58 PM
My first session was yesterday, and it went pretty well. We made it through the quest that previously resulted in a near TPK with barely a scratch. The party consisted of me, a Druid, and a Duskblade (sole survivor of the previous attempt). The rest of the players, including the cleric weren't there, and the Druid player isn't aware of the fact that druids are supposed to hate undead (though they don't know I'm undead anyway).

Anyway, I ended up with a staff that acts as a Rod of Lesser Empower. (Or at least that's what I assume. The DM didn't specify a spell level restriction, but I'm assuming for the sake of sanity that he didn't just hand a 73k item to a level 4 party).

Right now, we're in a town without much in the way of magic (I don't think it even has Wizards above 1st level), but in case we ever do find a Magic Mart, I'm wondering if I should try to sell my staff and get a Rod of Lesser Extend. As far as I can tell, I don't even have any spells that can be empowered except for False Life. Maybe this is a subtle hint I should become a blaster?

almightycoma
2013-01-13, 01:03 AM
if it is a subtle hint ignore it once you turn start being blaster mage it's all your party will expect you to do. it's a rut that's hard to get out of. you should have a couple good AoEs of course but better to have spells that help any time as opposed to being left banging your head against the table unable to help while waiting for combat.

Gavinfoxx
2013-01-13, 01:24 AM
It might actually be a Rod of empower. Get an Identify on the thing, preferably from a Cloistered Cleric (no need to get a pearl).

Story
2013-01-13, 02:33 AM
Well I was given it as a gift by someone who should know what it does, so IC I know exactly what type it is already. I just need to clarify with the DM.

Another piece of evidence that it's supposed to be a lesser rod is that another party member got a Bag of Holding Type III, roughly comparable in value to the lesser rod.