PDA

View Full Version : Commuinity World Building Project: World of Fire and Death

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-12, 05:58 PM
Alright, I am finally Finishing my work on this, And with your help, Shall make this Epic.
High Magic Setting, After all, Dragons!

The Basic Idea is a world that has been slowly overtaken by Scaled things, Lizardfolk, Kobolds, Saurials, and others, But All from the Command of Dragons, Who by time, Decided to work together, To rule it.

Humans are treated as Breeding stock for armies, After all, Half-Dragons are much better then Kobolds!
Dwarves are Miners, Mining Gems and such for The Endless Hoards.
Elves Are one of the few beings that MIGHT Live long enough to even concern the Dragons, But are very few in number.
Halflings/Gnomes: A) Food, B) Counters of Hoards.

Scaled Kingdoms:
Lizardfolk, Khaastas, Firenewts, and any other ones I am forggeting are the main Race of the Scaled worlds, Holding the Same Satus that Humans normally do.
Kobolds Are the Slightly less ones, more seen as Little things that run around and do funny stuff, But are actually Smarter then they used to be.
Saurials and other Dino-Based things are Mostly Loners, But Sometimes make alliances with Lizard Kingdoms.
Snaky Races are held as assassins, Mostly Bounty hunters and ones for Hire.

Dragon Lands:
The Frozen Lands are basically Held by Whites, While Slivers attempt to Keep them from Killing all the food.
Valcanic Lands are Held By Golds and Reds.
forests are held By Greens and Blacks.
Deserts are Held by Blues and Coppers.
Islands are Bronze and the other I am forgeting

So, What Ideas have you on this subject?

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-12, 06:03 PM
Table of Contents:
1: Introduction, Current Project Status
2: Map, Geographic information
3: Races
4: New Monsters
5: Religion and Cosmology, And others

Current Project Status: In production, Adding Info on stuff.

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-12, 06:04 PM
Resurved.
For Racial info.
Done By the Awesome BRC
Kobolds:
Kobolds serve Dragons, they always have. Once, they were controlled by fear, a dragon demanded tribute, service, even worship from a group of kobolds, if it was not obeyed, it would destroy them.

However, Kobolds are very clever. They would bow, and scrape, and serve, and grovel. But one day, the Dragon would let it's guard down, would take the loyalty of it's servants for granted ,and that day would be it's last. Sometimes they would swarm it as it slept, sometimes they would poison it's food, or betray it in favor of another dragon. Sometimes it's lair would cave in.

A few centuries ago, the Dragons decided that was enough. The Twelve Families rounded up every kobold clan leader they could find and brought them to the capital.

The Kobolds were ready, led by an influential leader named Yazlok, they delivered an ultimatum. No More would Kobolds serve dragons as slaves. They would serve dragons as employees.

Some in the twelve familes called for slaughtering the kobolds until they resumed their proper placed, but cooler heads prevailed, and the twelve families agreed to listen to Yazlok's offer.

Each Kobold Clan would serve the dragon of it's choice. Once the Clan entered into a dragons service, they would serve that dragon for one year, after which they would be free to remain for another year, or leave. The arrangement was simple, but it's repercussions were complex. Dragons found it to be in their best interests to woo Kobolds into their service, offer them good land to build their towns, gold, equipment, a percentage of and profits from businesses the clan ran on the dragon's behalf. Under this arrangement, Kobold clans were also motivated to make their service more desirable, so that dragons would offer more to have them in their service. Many Clans boast skilled craftsmen in their ranks, wise scholars, expert mages, or skilled merchants. Such a clan can be incredibly valuable to a dragon, who will go to great lengths to attract it's services.
Some Clans seek a new master every year, some have served the same dragon for Generations.

Most clans are small, around a hundred or so individuals, however, some are much larger. Kobolds are physically weak yes, but they are clever and quick witted, and some clans include non-kobold members. A group of Human or Hobgoblins may swear loyalty to a clan, serving as it's guards. Ogre Tribes sometimes find it beneficial to attach themselves to a Clan, letting the little lizards do the thinking for them. Clans also collect magic items, books of ancient knowledge, crystal balls, enchanted weapons, ect. These items and servants belong to the clan, and are at the disposal of the dragon the clan is serving. The most powerful dragons engage in massive bidding wars over these clans, and those that win can find an army at their service.

When Yazlok went before the twelve families, he already had an ally, a Tome Dragon named Vorsharen. Yazlok's clan has served Vorsharen since that day. After the arrangement was reached, Yazlok led his clan to a mountain, and they began turning it into something else. First, they dug a massive set of chambers into the mountain's peak, a roost and horde room for Vorsharen. Then, they set about turning the rest of the mountain into a university.

The Clan of Yazlok (As they have become known), spends their time studying in vast libraries, honing their skills in the finest workshops, and learning from the greatest experts. They then pass on that knowledge to any who can afford their fees. Clans will send a promising young Kobold to the Mount with a cartful of tribute. Once their, he will ascend the mountain where he will meet Vorsharen and the Yazlok clan leaders. He will offer the tribute, demonstrate what skills he has, and beg admittance to the university. If accepted, he will learn his trade and return to his clan a master. If he is good enough, he may be apprenticed by one of the mount's professors, who will not only hone his skills further, but will make him that much more valuable to his clan. A mount-educated kobold is good, but one who was the apprentice of a famous professor is even better.

If he is very good, he will serve his clan for years, and one day, a messenger from the clan of Yazlok will arrive, and offer the clan magical items and valuable treasures if the Kobold in question agrees to return to the Mount to teach.

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-12, 06:06 PM
Reserved for monsters.

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-12, 06:07 PM
Tiamat
Queen of Dragons, The Serpent queen,
Demon queen of Dragons
Greater Deity
Symbol: Styleized Dragon wings
Home Plane: 5th Layer of the Abyss
Alignment: Netural Evil
Portfolio: Dragons, Bats, Evil, Slaughter
Worshippers: Dragons, Batlych.
Cleric Alignments: LE, NE,CE
Domains: Cold, Deathbound, Darkness, Dragon, Dragon below, Fire, Hunger, Metal, Necromancy, Scalykind, And War.

Realm:
The lands of WyrmBlood will remind a cutter of the elemental plane of fire. The lowlands are boiling pits of lava, which is spewed constantly from the thousands of volcanoes on the layer. The air itself burns a cutters lungs, (1pt dmg per minute exposed) and unless proper protection is taken will kill most planewalkers. Tiamat has closed the planes portals down, She controls the only portals functioning, an act that further granted Her right to rule. Harsh rocklands and steep cliffs cover the layer, and rockslides are very common. Water is scarce on this layer, and not even the river Styx flows across the barren face of WyrmBlood

Synvallius
2012-12-13, 09:28 PM
The other dragon type ye were forgetting was Brass, although I don't think their environment is traditionally island based. I think it was plains or hills, or something along those lines.

Jade_Lance
2012-12-14, 12:49 AM
I would want the Good Guy dragons to still be Good Guys. Maybe they're operating Underground Railroads, bringing humans and others to safety or hiding them from the snaky bounty hunters.

Another idea is that Dragons are territorial, like a tiger on steriods. What if they got together and divided the world into territories? Most would be Bad-Guy-Land but there are a few territories ruled by Good Guy Dragons who are able to cooperate. These Point-of-Light places could be powerful enough that they can't be taken over.

A cool adventure might be finding the traitor humans who are working for the Bad Guys. Maybe the players would have to track the clues back to the dragon whose planning on taking over their Point-of-Light and stopping him just in time.

mamothpriest
2012-12-15, 02:23 AM
if memory serves, Brass and blue dragons are the most common ones to live in a desert environment. Coppers live in arid canyons primarily (still near enough usually to be considered desert in most situations). Other than that, I think you have the basic habitats for the dragons about right

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-15, 02:26 AM
Good stuff people, Sorry I have not updated much yet...
I blame my inability to Dm stuff....>.<

Deepbluediver
2012-12-20, 05:13 PM
Humans are treated as Breeding stock for armies, After all, Half-Dragons are much better then Kobolds!
Dwarves are Miners, Mining Gems and such for The Endless Hoards.
Elves Are one of the few beings that MIGHT Live long enough to even concern the Dragons, But are very few in number.
Halflings/Gnomes: A) Food, B) Counters of Hoards.
What about the Orcs, Ogres, Goblins, Minotaurs, and other savage non-scaly races? I think they might object to being ruled by lizardfolk, and they also seem far more likely to resist violently. If they are not present, you might want to develop some backstory as to when/why/how they disappeared.

Dragon Lands:
The Frozen Lands are basically Held by Whites, While Slivers attempt to Keep them from Killing all the food.
Valcanic Lands are Held By Golds and Reds.
forests are held By Greens and Blacks.
Deserts are Held by Blues and Coppers.
Islands are Bronze and the other I am forgeting
You got a few spelling errors here: Silver, Volcanic

If you are looking for another land type, I think Black dragons like to hand out in swamps; I don't know if that's different enough from forests to matter for you.

Overall, even if the "good" aligned dragons where willing to drive other species to extinction and create a "world of fire and death" they have very different temperaments than most of the "evil" dragons. I think it's more likely that you would have some areas with metallic dragon races and some areas with chromatic races, rather than sharing territory.