PDA

View Full Version : Lizardfolk, Gnolls, & similar: Why do we like Playing them?

Getsugaru
2012-12-12, 06:03 PM
The following thread was born of the fact that a lot of the characters I play or stat up (including the very first character I ever played) are Lizardfolk, Gnolls, or something similar. When I started thinking about it, I started wondering: am I the only one? Does anybody else play Lizardfolk, etc. and what is it you like about playing them?

Gahaith
2012-12-12, 06:07 PM
I play a lot of races like those. For me I think it's because I like playing an exotic looking character that sticks out in a generic party. I also just like to vary my races, and have played most of the PHB races.

thatclone
2012-12-12, 06:39 PM
i always tend to only play elves yet i always make something different like a half ogre, or bug bear.....but always go back to elf for some reason lol

White_Drake
2012-12-12, 08:12 PM
A monstrous race is simultaneously both a way to try something novel, and a way to make a truly unique character; also, it's great for role-playing. I have a werepanther thief, he rocks.

ngilop
2012-12-12, 09:08 PM
I like lizardmen alot, in fact its 95% of the reason i like Warhammer.
I really cannot give an example or reason WHY though.

but in my own campaign world Surials (lizard men) have a twits, instead of being the quasi aztec/incan/mayan culture they normally are represented as in my they are egyptian-esque

shortround
2012-12-12, 09:20 PM
I think there's something very aesthetically appealing in monstrous humanoids representing particular facets of culture and humanity the same way aliens do in science fiction. It's interesting to step outside of one's ethnocentrics and see things differently.

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-12, 09:24 PM
Lizardfolk: Scaly races. Somewhat like Dragons.
Nuff said

Zilzmaer
2012-12-12, 11:28 PM
Gnolls are hyena people. Hyenas are cool. Sucks about the RHD, though.

HunterOfJello
2012-12-12, 11:37 PM
It's easier for some of us to truly let ourselves go when roleplaying if we are playing a character that is a monster. Letting our own personality and sense of self go is easier when what we're pretending to be is a bipedal lizard barbarian who likes to bite into gnomes with his razor sharp teeth.

TuggyNE
2012-12-13, 01:02 AM
It's easier for some of us to truly let ourselves go when roleplaying if we are playing a character that is a monster.

Literal, or figurative. :smalltongue:

LTwerewolf
2012-12-13, 01:24 AM
We use what is essentially an azer without the racial hit dice. It's pretty cool.

Deathkeeper
2012-12-13, 02:25 AM
Because I don't find most of the core races interesting besides maybe humans, and monstrous races are fun. Personally I think Tengu are near the top, but I also love Kobolds for the comic relief and challenge as a PC, and Lizardfolk for what you can do with some DM-allowed flavor. My second PC ever was a pirate Summoner Lizardfolk, and while he was paranoid as heck, he was a blast to play.

Kane0
2012-12-13, 05:01 AM
Medium sized goblinoids, lizardfolk, orcs, gnolls. A lot of monstrous humanoids actually.

Something about being out of the ordinary, a reason to act differently and try out a new playstyle as the creatures most often fought. Having handicaps and advantages, being a rebel not only amongst your own race but of the races you seek to join (the 'civilized' ones mostly).

It's a chance to play as a fantasy creature that you have freedom in representing. Everyone knows how elves and dwarves are, but lizardfolk, bugbears, hobgoblins and gnolls arent as cemented in their places.

Gnorman
2012-12-13, 05:56 AM
Because monsters are fun.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-13, 04:04 PM
I like playing koa-toa if that counts. Who wouldn't want to be a cleric of Blibdoolpoolp?