PDA

View Full Version : The five from Daygale (OoC)

Pages : [1] 2

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-13, 01:41 AM
{table]J-H|Agias (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=497972)
Xyon|Bernard (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=553077)
Barbarian MD|Rowan (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=500113)
JustPlayItLoud|Pelleas (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=556235)
distant quasar|Lydia Fatchet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=482944)[/table]
I have opened a new recruitment thread.

I will update the above list, tell you when you level up, give you warnings for not posting enough, and answer questions.

Every once in a while I will give a title to the next section of the game such as

Introduction
Trip to Calensway

and when I do that it means a piece of a plot will come up it will be very broad to entice your characters whatever their personality might be like, but if your really are against it IC I will not rail road you, but their will be realistic repercussions. I will then say what this section involves like below, but the information from it remains OoC.

In this introduction section you will at some point get to go to Calensway and most of you will probably want to take that opportunity as soon as you are allowed it.

Here is the latest section.

Caged Dragon(s)

In this section you may find a fairly long series of quests/dungeons based on your detective skills each will bring you closer to the hidden secrets of the mountain range, but only if you find the trail of clues linking each quest/dungeon together. Also I will sow the seeds that will grow into the plot you will likely get to by level 10+, you may not notice it now, but you will and it will be cool.

Silverbit
2012-12-13, 03:47 AM
Awesome, I'm in! First question: will someone please tell me how to use coloured text?

GodGoblin
2012-12-13, 04:32 AM
Cool, Ill be speaking in Green

To do that you want to put {COLOR="Green"} Speech {/COLOR}. But with [] instead of {}.

Or the easiest way is to highlight the words and select the colour drop down menu in the tool bar, just like in microsoft Word, adds the tags for you :smallsmile:

Edit: Oh and it varies from game to game but the usual application of this is to use coloured text when talking and italic coloured when thinking internally.

So- "Oh hello there" or "Damn im hungry..."

Silverbit
2012-12-13, 08:48 AM
Ok, thanks.
Is this color working?
Ahhh, it is.

Korney
2012-12-13, 09:09 AM
Nice, Alan will be talking in Orange

So we are finally 5 characters. I will update my sheet with some campaign names.

What was the starting gold we finally get?

Edit: My character is a lumberjack, does he know anything about Howsitcalled Ckegrriellghy Woods? Like forbidden or dangerous or something?
Is there a closer place to cut trees? Or does he have to travel for work?

GodGoblin
2012-12-13, 09:21 AM
Oh and Ive adjusted my feats, im now Shield focused and have taken a Flaw.

Its Unreactive, giving me -6 initiative but has been explained in character like so:
Rarely one to charge head first into battle, he finds it far too un-elegant, preferring to bide his time and wait for opponents to approach, Its much more refined.

I think its a fitting explanation for an up-himself noble :smallbiggrin:

Korney
2012-12-13, 09:41 AM
Hmm, I'm not sure I should take a flaw... my character has an eyepatch only sees with one eye, if that is going to nerf my spot or search skills I might as well take a flaw out of it.
Extra feats are always welcome.

GodGoblin
2012-12-13, 09:43 AM
Murky eyed is good for that, re rolling to hit %'s.

Ive always put down to bad depth perception so its perfect for a one eyed character!

Korney
2012-12-13, 09:50 AM
Too much punishment for a melee character. :smallfrown:

GodGoblin
2012-12-13, 09:58 AM
In games ive played they dont come up all too often. Its worse on ranged character because of Cover, for melee its pretty much only Blur/Displacment or darkness effects you have to worry about.

But if your build isnt too feat starved you will be fine without it anyway :smallsmile:

Korney
2012-12-13, 10:00 AM
I don't really have a build :smallbiggrin: As we are starting as commoners I'm going to see how things go.
I like melee combat, but no idea if I will go ranger, fighter, warlock, barbarian... no idea.

GodGoblin
2012-12-13, 10:31 AM
Thats a pretty cool way to play, just see how he develops!

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-13, 11:48 AM
Because this is a long game I would not be surprised if someones idea for their build changed.
What was the starting gold we finally get?

Edit: My character is a lumberjack, does he know anything about Howsitcalled Ckegrriellghy Woods? Like forbidden or dangerous or something?
Is there a closer place to cut trees? Or does he have to travel for work?
Just as a general rule the currency here is a bit lacking and unless you are a noble your money is measured in silver peices, but every thing you buy will be reduced by a factor of 10 as well. So over all the peasants have about 10d2+20 sp and the nobles have 10d4+360 sp, and even if you don't have enough money for your starting gear you will soon.

The Ckegrriellghy Woods that you know is just the outskirts maybe once sense you worked their you thought you saw an elf, but it ran away and the tree you were chopping healed its cuts.

Oh and Ive adjusted my feats, im now Shield focused and have taken a Flaw.

Its Unreactive, giving me -6 initiative but has been explained in character like so:

I think its a fitting explanation. for an up-himself noble :smallbiggrin:
The flaw's fine

Korney
2012-12-13, 12:19 PM
moneis [roll0]
so, silver is the new gold?

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-13, 12:22 PM
So a total of 32 sp that's cool and We will wait till about this time tomorrow for others to post. Then I will alert others they may fave a time to join soon.

GodGoblin
2012-12-13, 12:43 PM
Rolling! [roll0]+360

386sp it is, ill sort out the kit now.

Done!

Silverbit
2012-12-13, 01:59 PM
[roll0]
Rolling...
I probably won't have enough for my starting gear, is this a problem?

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-13, 02:07 PM
You will get more money before you leave your town.

distant quasar
2012-12-13, 03:27 PM
Awesome I'm in! :smallbiggrin:

Lydia will speak in Purple.

[roll0] sp

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-13, 10:09 PM
Warning

I'm PMing Misaat, if he doesn't join in a few days you will be replaced I will be in city of Seattle a few days and he has till I'm back to respond.

Silverbit
2012-12-14, 05:44 AM
Would this homebrew (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=ueieip89o6p41sbdpcbhio8fr5&topic=2982) be allowed? It's fine if not, but I thought it fitted the character more than barbarian or ranger (what I would otherwise choose).
Edit: link correction, and can I change my ranks in survival to Knowledge:Nobility and Royalty? Again, it would fit the character more.

GodGoblin
2012-12-14, 06:48 AM
If not that homebrew why not Knight, Paladin, Warblade or Crusader? Would fit the chivalry knight concept more than Ranger of Barb

Silverbit
2012-12-14, 08:07 AM
Well, Warblade and Crusader are not quite... Well, knightly enough, I don't exactly have enough Cha or Wis to be a Paladin; Knight... I admit I forgot about Knight :smallredface:. On close inspection, it does look like it could make a good class for my character. No manoeuvres, but they were never the important thing. Guess I'm looking at Knight then! I'd still like to swap survival for Knowledge: Nobility.

GodGoblin
2012-12-14, 08:11 AM
You want to play a knight but forgot about Knight? :smallconfused: Smooooooth :smalltongue:

Silverbit
2012-12-14, 08:20 AM
The name should really have reminded me... I do have to behave in a lawful manner. I can do that, I guess.

Misaat
2012-12-14, 04:34 PM
I call Blue!

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-15, 08:07 PM
Here is the IC posting may start.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=14384630#post14384630

Silverbit
2012-12-16, 06:48 AM
Damn, I messed up my first roll :smallredface:. Here it is again: [roll0]

Korney
2012-12-16, 12:34 PM
I see both of you rolled for listen, if it is required this is my roll: [roll0]

In other PbP games I have been, the DM managed this kind of rolls so the games moves faster.

Search, listen, spot, knowledges, saves and initiative were rolled by the DM. How are we going to deal with them?

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-16, 12:38 PM
I will roll for you in cases that a player would roll automatically and if the player decides to take an action to make a roll they may do so and I will tell them if they beet the DC when I respond. In this case however you will not gain any more information from listening well.

Would this homebrew (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?PHPSESSID=ueieip89o6p41sbdpcbhio8fr5&topic=2982) be allowed? It's fine if not, but I thought it fitted the character more than barbarian or ranger (what I would otherwise choose).
Edit: link correction, and can I change my ranks in survival to Knowledge:Nobility and Royalty? Again, it would fit the character more.

Almost forgot this is not the worst suggested so far but maybe a slight nerf like not giving all your allies charm and compulsion immunity. Would that be ok?

Silverbit
2012-12-16, 01:24 PM
Almost forgot this is not the worst suggested so far but maybe a slight nerf like not giving all your allies charm and compulsion immunity. Would that be ok?

It's fine, I decided to go Knight instead. I forgot it's existence briefly. I assume the skill change is fine?

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-16, 01:32 PM
It's fine, I decided to go Knight instead. I forgot it's existence briefly. I assume the skill change is fine?

Ya that works

Korney
2012-12-17, 09:12 PM
Just as distant quasar said in the IC, how well do we all know each other?
How big is Daygale?
My character would be an active member of the comunity, although yet a young man, he would have been helping other with their jobs and problems.
He's been helping searching for the missing animals and is probably in good terms with the farmers.
Alan is not famous, but he has been arround and due to his particular look he is easy to remember.

I invite the other players to read Alan's background, I godmoded a little bit adding a thunderstorm to Daygale 15 years ago.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-17, 10:33 PM
Well you can join backstories together to have reasons why you know each other, but the town population is 213.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-20, 10:44 PM
I will be gone for a bit less than a week for x-mas so I will Be temporarily be poasting less often

GodGoblin
2012-12-21, 04:25 AM
You are all spread out searching different areas as suggested a few posts ago someone would need to beet DC 20 listen to hear you yell from that far away.

Im feeling a bit rail roaded here, I havent actually decided to do anything so far, but weve split up in town and talked to NPCs like the farmers wife and kids. I get a chance to post part of a conversation or try to initiate a way to push the plot forward but get swept off before it actually gets anywhere.

You spread out to the town and surrounding area then one of you, lets say Alan, is checking out the forest for monsters sense he has experienced these woods feels a tremor of some geological activity jerk him eastward only animals and NPC's very near Alan feel this in addition to him.

In one my posts I was trying to have us stick together and try and track but then this post happened, it feels like im swimming against the currant a bit.

If thats your DMing style its cool but not really feeling it if im honest.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-21, 12:05 PM
I'm just trying to move the game along. Someone suggested splitting up so I said earlier that we would follow that route unless someone opposed. I did mention that we would split up only if everyone obliged.

I am checking almost daily and will be back on the 26th. If you are going to be gone for a time it would be best to warn everyone here.

GodGoblin
2012-12-24, 07:23 AM
Thats cool, in the start its pretty hard to get it moving after all. Have a good christmas peeps, ill be on every now and then if it updates but if not seeya after the holidays!

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-27, 01:00 AM
Alright I am back from my trip and will give everyone a bit of a chance to catch up before I send out warnings of absence.

distant quasar
2012-12-27, 11:25 AM
I'm here, but Lydia is waiting now for Alan to act first.

Korney
2012-12-27, 12:41 PM
I'm here too. I will post right meow.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-27, 01:22 PM
Good to have everyone here just got to wait for more initiatives to be rolled.

distant quasar
2012-12-27, 01:46 PM
Eh how do we decide a tie in initiative again? I'm thinking maybe higher modifer (which would be me) but I'm not 100%...

Anyway, if none of the other players object, I'm fine with you rolling everyone's init. for them in the future to save time.

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-27, 03:28 PM
It is higher modifier, and I could roll players initiative, but we would still need to wait for people.

GodGoblin
2012-12-28, 03:57 AM
Do we just post our actions and you arrange them in a summary post of dowe pot in init order?

Dr.Orpheus
2012-12-28, 06:08 AM
Just post whenever and I will respond to them in order.

GodGoblin
2013-01-02, 10:48 AM
Unfortunately im going to have to withdraw from the game, im just not meshing with the style of play and think some of the alternates would be better suited to playing it, hope it goes well though guys!

distant quasar
2013-01-02, 12:57 PM
Sorry to hear that :smallfrown:

Korney
2013-01-02, 05:07 PM
Unfortunately im going to have to withdraw from the game, im just not meshing with the style of play and think some of the alternates would be better suited to playing it, hope it goes well though guys!

It is not very immersive to be honest.
I feel we are not connected at all and that this events would have happened no matter what I did.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-03, 02:12 AM
I'll look for more people so this game will continue and don't think I am railroading you with the spider Korney or anyone else with that idea. You don't have to beat it or scare it away although you are definitely able to as a team, it will have a reward, but it I have everything planed as This campaign has been played over a dozen times sense its creation back in 1st ed. There have been chances when you could have stopped this situation, but it required better search or diplomacy checks and if you want to be given a more clear set of options I will could the party advice such as talking to the spider or using a shovel to dig an entrance to a one of his tunnels. However I won't let you know which will be most successful. If you are really interested you may read the possible benefits of helping rid the Daygale of this spider.

You are all either a peasant or the child of a lord. In the case of a peasant you're bound to work and pay taxes till death (this is what happened back in those days) unless you run away or your lord grants you freedom for doing him a great favor. If you are the from the Daygale family you need to prove to your father you have the qualities of a respectable job (diplomat, knight, mage, ect.) so that you can quest to find a noble spouse (which is the only way you won't have an arranged mirage) or to find the money and do do enough favors for the king so that you can pay for the construction of a castle and have land for you to tax your own peasants. No mater who you are you will need to do something to be allowed to leave town, but there will be more chances after the spider.

Just as a courtesy you should let me know before you leave or if you are leaving stay until I get a new player as I have only alerted one person right now and have two dropping out.

Korney
2013-01-03, 05:14 AM
I was not dropping, not talking about railroading either. I just wanted to express the game feeling for me so far.

Who else dropped?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-03, 01:24 PM
GodGoblin stated he was leaving and misaat has been about 7 days late. I wasn't thinking that you were dropping and if I need to turn this into a 4 person game it will work other than the thread title. This game was designed for 4 expert players not trying to brake the game, but doing fairly well so 5 just gives you a slight bonus. I can also use some weaker encounters as well.

To keep the game going for now I have taken the spiders turn, and now distant quasar may go.

distant quasar
2013-01-03, 01:39 PM
Aye there. Ok I'll head over and post... will you be npcing godgoblin's character until we can find a replacement?

Also, if it becomes four person, you can change the thread title.

As for railroading, maybe a bit, but I've experienced far worse so no complaints really.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-03, 02:46 PM
Ya I can play other peoples characters till I find more people and I may need to find more alternates for the future.

Vendarien
2013-01-04, 02:17 AM
I will take olive green for my speach.

Korney
2013-01-04, 07:54 PM
I'm a bit lost here. People is attacking, is the spider still there? I thought it escaped with an ox.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-04, 08:25 PM
People are firing ranged weapons down the hole or hoping down to attack with melee weapons.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-08, 11:44 AM
We could do with some posts or if you guys don't want to decide I could just fast forward everything to the next point where your required to act instead of just given the option to.

Vendarien
2013-01-10, 08:24 PM
Who's bedside table did he set that on?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-10, 09:23 PM
It's Karls

distant quasar
2013-01-10, 09:40 PM
Lydia will tell her adopted family goodbye before she leaves, but I don't think there's any need to rp it, we can just move the story along.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-10, 10:46 PM
Appreciated, we shall assume it's all moving and dramatic.

Korney
2013-01-11, 10:53 AM
I'm sorry Orpheus, but I don't think our styles match. :smallfrown:
Sorry for leaving a game after starting, I hate it and avoid it, but I just don't feel like posting in this game.
To the players, sorry too, I really hate giving up.
If you are OK with it, Alan will stay in town to take care of his father.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-11, 11:08 AM
Alright it may take a while till we find a group of players that all enjoy the campaign because I carefully made instructions for characters so that I could enjoy DMing and I guess the reverse is true.

I PMed someone else to join us, but we can continue on and we may have them join in the next town.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-14, 11:07 AM
Get back here everyone, we have had about half a week of no posts.

distant quasar
2013-01-14, 08:24 PM
I'm not sure what there is for Lydia to do currently, she doesn't have any money to blow

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-14, 11:03 PM
There is some sp that has been split among the party.

Silverbit
2013-01-15, 05:18 PM
Sorry Orpheus; things came up. Lots of things. I'm still here, but might be able to post less frequently from now on. Replacing me might be a good idea if you want a faster paced game; I can post once a day, certainly; but it might be a little intermittent from now on. Stuff happens.:smalleek:

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-15, 06:22 PM
It's alright I'll see how many replacements are finished by the end of the week and you may or may not be replaced.

distant quasar
2013-01-15, 10:07 PM
How strictly do you enforce the carrying rules? If I get armor I'll be under a medium load... other than that Lydia will get Thieve's tools. for no reason... :smallwink:

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-15, 10:57 PM
You must follow the carrying capacity rules, but you will be traveling with the food cart which can carry some extra weight.

distant quasar
2013-01-16, 04:33 PM
ok, no armor then

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-16, 05:58 PM
Then you can go on and say what your doing and make a spot check along with your new incoming players.

J-H
2013-01-18, 01:01 PM
Agias the scholar is here and will talk in blue since that doesn't seem to be taken.
He was studying a few of the maps in the castle library and missed the whole spider thing.

talpuz
2013-01-18, 03:21 PM
I'll speak in green, it doesn't seem to be taken (but i might have missed it).

By the way my character was with the group the whole time, right DM? And he is a (former now) warrior of the city guard.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-18, 04:17 PM
Ya both Daygale and Calensway have guards so you could be from Daygale and happen to have killed some of the spiders that attacked before.

talpuz
2013-01-18, 07:04 PM
That sounds right.

So about the money the group got before leaving Daygale.. is it "collective", and how much is left?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-18, 08:12 PM
There was 100sp and someone bought thieves tools.

talpuz
2013-01-19, 05:26 AM
And can we still buy stuff with it, at the prices of Daygale?

Another question: as I mentioned this is my first PbP campaign.. how's the policy on the "pacing"? For now only three of us are posting in the IC thread.. should we move on, or wait for the other two to do their spot checks and join us?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-19, 11:14 AM
You can buy at the Daygale rate and I'd say we wait for the other two until thy reach the 1 weak post limit because I drop people that will not respond to posts or PMs for a full week.

J-H
2013-01-19, 04:23 PM
Cool. Education has its advantages...

Silverbit
2013-01-20, 05:53 PM
Sorry everyone, I think I'm going to have to drop out. I have science exams next week, and mocks the week after, so I'm spending much of my time revising right now. Good luck with the game everyone! Enjoy!

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-20, 10:30 PM
Ah good luck to ya and I will look through our remaining alts.

talpuz
2013-01-29, 12:10 PM
I'm probably missing something.. are we seeing each other speak with the drow and act, or is all happening in our respective heads??

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-29, 01:29 PM
It's in your respective heads.

Barbarian MD
2013-01-30, 02:34 PM
I wasn't quite clear. Is this guy evil? Because I don't know about the others, but I'd love for Rowan to unknowingly help team evil and then realize his mistake later. Good character development opportunity.

distant quasar
2013-01-30, 03:55 PM
Well with my Sense Motive roll I might not be unaware. and Lydia wouldn't willingly do evil, at least not now

J-H
2013-01-30, 09:13 PM
Did Agias notice anything while looking around in the temple?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-30, 10:36 PM
I wasn't quite clear. Is this guy evil? Because I don't know about the others, but I'd love for Rowan to unknowingly help team evil and then realize his mistake later. Good character development opportunity.He does seem nice to the unknowing eyes, but OoC yes he is evil very good liar you may have that alignment change coming your way.

Well with my Sense Motive roll I might not be unaware. and Lydia wouldn't willingly do evil, at least not nowAware or not if you do happen to turn evil your party that resisted corruption may be able to talk you back to being your normal self unless you are convinced to leave with the drow.

Did Agias notice anything while looking around in the temple?Lots of hieroglyphs that you could decode, but there is only one book that teaches you to learn dragon hieroglyphs in this world so it is a secret language (reading non ancient draconic is still an available, but you may benefit from coming back here once you know how to read these things) also a pool of water carved into the ground in the middle of the room.

J-H
2013-01-30, 11:34 PM
Do we all realize that the conversations were mental instead of verbal? Seems like Agias should be bothered by everyone else just standing there.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-30, 11:43 PM
Well not unless you are told, otherwise it seams verbal.

Barbarian MD
2013-01-31, 08:19 AM
Just because Rowan helps someone who is evil unknowingly shouldn't cause an alignment change. If he continues to help after realizing his nefarious plans, that's a different story. I think it would be fun for him to get halfway along the ride and then realize what's happening (jaw-dropping oh crap moment) and try to fix it. (Meanwhile, if someone else realizes the drow is evil and tells Rowan, he'd stop.)

J-H
2013-01-31, 08:57 AM
Yeah, but since Agias has ended the conversation is walking out, shouldn't he notice that everyone else is just standing there not moving or talking?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-31, 10:13 AM
Just because Rowan helps someone who is evil unknowingly shouldn't cause an alignment change. If he continues to help after realizing his nefarious plans, that's a different story. I think it would be fun for him to get halfway along the ride and then realize what's happening (jaw-dropping oh crap moment) and try to fix it. (Meanwhile, if someone else realizes the drow is evil and tells Rowan, he'd stop.)Noted

Yeah, but since Agias has ended the conversation is walking out, shouldn't he notice that everyone else is just standing there not moving or talking?I mentioned everyone is active again once you leave the spell warped your sense of time along with everyone else.

talpuz
2013-01-31, 10:58 AM
Janick is kind of innocent and good-hearted for now, and has no reasons to be doing evil deeds. This may change later, depending on what happens.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-01-31, 09:11 PM
You may want to save that Piratepad to your favorites because, now it may seem to be as slow as posting here, but I have noticed in other games that it can be good for conversations that are just within the party or strategic planing. Sometimes you find that two or more people are on at once and can get several posts worth of talking done in 5 minutes, so it's a matter of coordinating times, but from your posts I can tell you are all awake during a part of the day when I'm awake. I sleep for 5 hours a day regularly and only have a part time job so I can be around if you send me a PM unless I have something important. For the long term I will be going back to college on the 21st and keeping my job so I will have less time, but still plenty to post and keep the game going.

distant quasar
2013-02-01, 09:12 AM
Done so :smallsmile:
There may be some times during the upcoming summer that I can't post much/at all, and during the fall my posting frequency will probably be lower. If it's ever needed to keep the game advancing, you can feel free to NPC me.

distant quasar
2013-02-04, 03:29 PM
Rogue (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161222)

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

EDIT: I think I'll keep my first set of rolls. I got really lucky on them :smallsmile:
EDIT2: Updated Sheet (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=482944)

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-04, 04:07 PM
Not what I mean. You roll just roll 1d6 three times and depending on how good your first set was I will pick one and you may divide the number rolled among your stats.

distant quasar
2013-02-04, 04:11 PM
Aaaah. I understand now... [roll0]

This forum roller must love me :smallbiggrin:
hopefully saying that doesn't jinx it all...

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-04, 04:15 PM
You may use the 4 and when assigning the 4 points to abilities you cant move anything to above an 18.

Orzamil
2013-02-04, 04:29 PM
You may use the 4 and when assigning the 4 points to abilities you cant move anything to above an 18.

Are you counting racial bonuses in that or not?

Also:
Incarnum

[roll0]

distant quasar
2013-02-04, 04:34 PM

Done :smallsmile:

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-04, 04:48 PM
Are you counting racial bonuses in that or not?

Also:
Incarnum

[roll0]

You can use your 6, and yes 20 is possible with atrial bonuses. sense there is no incarnum use in Calensway you feel a surge of power coarse through you when praying to Weejas and have a vision of a dwarf in armor made of magical energy standing on a mountain.

talpuz
2013-02-04, 04:48 PM
here goes:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

I'd like to go swordsage. Story-wise, I guess there'll be somebody at the barracks that can teach me? And we're still level one in the class we get, right?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-04, 05:23 PM
here goes:
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

I'd like to go swordsage. Story-wise, I guess there'll be somebody at the barracks that can teach me? And we're still level one in the class we get, right?

You will still be level 1, and you may use the 5 you rolled.

Barbarian MD
2013-02-04, 05:33 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Edit: dang.

Taking Ranger, as we discussed.

J-H
2013-02-04, 05:58 PM
Psion.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Not sure I understand how you are assigning numbers - if you say "you can use the 4" does that mean 4 additional points (divided amongst 6 stats), or does that mean "every stat goes up by 4 except if it'd go over 18"?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-04, 06:14 PM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Edit: dang.

Taking Ranger, as we discussed.

Psion.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Not sure I understand how you are assigning numbers - if you say "you can use the 4" does that mean 4 additional points (divided amongst 6 stats), or does that mean "every stat goes up by 4 except if it'd go over 18"?

They are divided up on all 6 stats and because you two were my low rollers you may use the combined points of all d6 rolls.

Barbarian MD
2013-02-04, 06:38 PM
Bless you, sir.

J-H
2013-02-04, 06:45 PM
Thanks.

Psion has fewer skill points than Expert, and a lower HD. Do I "lose" the HP and skill points, or treat level 1 (only) as gestalt?

J-H
2013-02-04, 07:00 PM
We have a:
Rogue (ranged attacker)
Ranger(?) archer
Warrior (melee)
Incarnate (melee?)
and Agias the Psion.

It looks like I'm the only caster-type. Thoughts on discipline?

I'm thinking Kineticist so that we have some AOE capabilities, and could be justified by his physical weakness.
Seer fits Agias' personality well, but the powers are pretty useless unless we are going planes-hopping.
Shaper sort of works, but I think an astral construct is doesn't fit the world.
I think Agias is a little too oblivious to fit as a mind-reading Telepath, unless that's his way of compensating for spending too much time reading.

Barbarian MD
2013-02-04, 09:00 PM
In terms of training time, it looks like Rowan will be able to survive indefinitely off survival checks in the wild, so I'm okay with training as long as everyone else wants to.

Barbarian MD
2013-02-05, 08:40 AM
We have a:
Rogue (ranged attacker)
Ranger(?) archer
Warrior (melee)
Incarnate (melee?)
and Agias the Psion.

It looks like I'm the only caster-type. Thoughts on discipline?

I'm thinking Kineticist so that we have some AOE capabilities, and could be justified by his physical weakness.
Seer fits Agias' personality well, but the powers are pretty useless unless we are going planes-hopping.
Shaper sort of works, but I think an astral construct is doesn't fit the world.
I think Agias is a little too oblivious to fit as a mind-reading Telepath, unless that's his way of compensating for spending too much time reading.

Seems we have skills and ranged combat. I see weaknesses in HP (we could benefit from a tank) and in utility casting (as in, we can't fix it by skill points or attak rolls, obviously a wizard needs to do something weird).

How'd my hunt go?

Orzamil
2013-02-05, 02:15 PM
I'm pretty much a tank, or at least I'm going to try to build as such. I don't have much in the way of threat generation, but I can be a meat shield.

talpuz
2013-02-05, 05:09 PM
I will be able to take some damage, I think, in time.

So, what exactly happens to our current NPC level? Should we also re-choose talents and reassign skill points? What if something (HD, skill points) of the NPC class is better than the PC class we're taking?

Barbarian MD
2013-02-05, 05:27 PM
Does Merri let Rowan keep anything he kills to try to sell in the city?

Barbarian MD
2013-02-05, 05:38 PM
Distant quasar, I'm jealous of you hide skill. Here do those extra +4 bonus points come from?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-05, 05:52 PM
I will be able to take some damage, I think, in time.

So, what exactly happens to our current NPC level? Should we also re-choose talents and reassign skill points? What if something (HD, skill points) of the NPC class is better than the PC class we're taking?
You take the HD, skills, and everything from the PC class and the NPC class level is lost.

Does Merri let Rowan keep anything he kills to try to sell in the city?
You keep your kills and can sell them later.

talpuz
2013-02-05, 06:22 PM
I was asking the guards if they are accepting recruit for the city guard specifically to be able to pay for the inn indefinitely :smalltongue:

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-05, 07:13 PM
Well you need the training they will provide to be good enough to join.

J-H
2013-02-05, 07:47 PM
So I'm actually going to lose skill points and hit points?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-05, 08:07 PM
Well it's a bit strange sense I converted this campaign from 2nd ed to 3.5 ed. If people want you could all jump to level two. I have plans for over or under leveled characters.

J-H
2013-02-05, 08:11 PM
I'm fine continuing at level 1... no need to rush past being low-level without at least a mini-quest or combat or something. I just don't think it makes sense to lose 2hp and some skill points because my character became a psion.

Long-range question: If we are going to be leveling up at your say-so rather than by tracking XP, how do you want to deal with powers & spells that have an XP component (crafting, psychic reformation, wish/bend reality, etc)?

Technically Psicrystal Affinity is the best feat for me at level 1, but I don't think it fits flavor-wise, and I'm a Psion - I am not concerned about having trouble keeping up with power levels...

Oh, and is a minor magic item such as Blessed Bandages available in Calensway? 10gp, auto-stabilize someone at negative hp (vs having to make a DC15? heal check). I think all of us have at least 40% of our "damage before dying" reserve between 0 and -9...

distant quasar
2013-02-05, 09:00 PM
Distant quasar, I'm jealous of you hide skill. Here do those extra +4 bonus points come from?

+4 for being small size (halfling)

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-05, 09:06 PM
I'm fine continuing at level 1... no need to rush past being low-level without at least a mini-quest or combat or something. I just don't think it makes sense to lose 2hp and some skill points because my character became a psion.

Long-range question: If we are going to be leveling up at your say-so rather than by tracking XP, how do you want to deal with powers & spells that have an XP component (crafting, psychic reformation, wish/bend reality, etc)?

Technically Psicrystal Affinity is the best feat for me at level 1, but I don't think it fits flavor-wise, and I'm a Psion - I am not concerned about having trouble keeping up with power levels...

Oh, and is a minor magic item such as Blessed Bandages available in Calensway? 10gp, auto-stabilize someone at negative hp (vs having to make a DC15? heal check). I think all of us have at least 40% of our "damage before dying" reserve between 0 and -9...

I will delay you leveling up when you use spells with XP components and/or they may have another negative effect. The bandages and any magic item under 1000 xp could be bought from magic or specialty shops in Calensway

J-H
2013-02-05, 10:30 PM
So we have 1 studying, 1 thieving, 1 training with the guards, and 2 living off the land, right?

Orzamil
2013-02-06, 12:51 PM
Is the item restricted to just a weapon or can it be a set of armor? I have a +10 to craft metal armor, and the DC of platemail is 18 (although at average craft check, it would take 42ish days to complete that, point stands for other armors.)

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-06, 01:50 PM
Ya weapons or armors, whatever you can craft.

Orzamil
2013-02-06, 03:17 PM
Am I taking into account how much time it would take to make the item? As in, if it would take me 42 days, will I make the party wait that long (if they don't wander off) while I finish it?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-09, 10:48 PM
I am taking a while, but mind you I am sick at the moment and will try to post more now that I am feeling a bit better.

talpuz
2013-02-10, 06:56 AM
don't worry, I'm still choosing stuff for my 1st PC level, so no rush for me :)

Janick is till trying to find a way to earn some money in the IC thread, though.

Barbarian MD
2013-02-16, 06:41 PM
Equipment updated. I hate carrying capacity. Can anyone lend me a few pounds for a winter blanket?

The halfling might be a better scout if only one of us is going. How close would Rowan have to get to see the drow (can he see him now that he's been pointed out, and can he reach him with his 100' range long bow)? If that's the case, Rowan will cover the halfling's approach.

talpuz
2013-02-16, 06:43 PM
my move silently skill is +8-2 if I leave my backpack with you (I hate carrying capacity too), and I think the halfling has a +4 size bonus, right? she may be better, yes...

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-16, 07:13 PM
Yes Rowan can see the drow pointed out to him and reach it in 2 range increments.

distant quasar
2013-02-17, 09:55 AM
I'll go. If I misunderstood about combining into Stealth and Perception, I can switch it back again without a problem, and use these rolls instead:

MS: [roll0]
Hide: [roll1]
Listen: [roll2]
Spot: [roll3]

Barbarian MD
2013-02-17, 10:11 AM
I'd rather keep them separate, if that's okay, but I'll go with whatever the DM decides.

If we combine them, that would imply that you only have to spend the skill points in one, and would have a max score, rather than trying to average two scores, right?

talpuz
2013-02-17, 10:13 AM
If you take the average, that's not true: for each skill point you have in one of the two, the combined one gains a 1/2. for example if you have spot +4, listen +0 you get perception +2.. to max out you would need to max both of them!

Barbarian MD
2013-02-17, 10:43 AM
Ah, we're talking about two different things. In Pathfinder, they replace Hide and move Silently with a single skill, Stealth. Ditto for Perception instead of Spot and Listen.

I personally like having two skills instead of one, since they represent different things. You have to succeed on a spot check to target someone, but you can still be alerted to their presence with only a listen check. As a stealthy character, it benefits me to have them split, since I have lots of skill points, while dumb warriors can only max one of them.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-17, 11:26 AM
Well they can be combined, but it seams Barbarian MD particularly wants them separated, if people have a similar feeling about them being combined then I could be convinced to go either way.

distant quasar
2013-02-17, 11:42 AM
I'd like to compromise that we combine one but not the other, because personally I like the combinations. Which we combine doesn't matter to me.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-17, 12:12 PM
If we are to combine one I'd say spot and listen.

Barbarian MD
2013-02-17, 12:33 PM
We'd have to combine both, since they are by definition opposed rolls.

I actually like Talpuz's method of averaging them. It still requires the skill point expenditure, but simplifies rolling. I'd vote for that.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-17, 12:44 PM
Alright combined skills with older skill point cost.

Barbarian MD
2013-02-27, 12:17 AM
I'd no one takes the lead soon negative-charisma-boy is just going to come out and say it.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-02-27, 04:41 PM
Luckly this guy is so nice and agreeable that you don't need to make a check.

distant quasar
2013-03-02, 02:08 PM
Yes, of course. What could possibly go wrong? :smallbiggrin:

J-H
2013-03-02, 10:50 PM
Eh, may as well see what happens.

Barbarian MD
2013-03-14, 04:45 PM
Whom are we waiting on? Talpuz?

distant quasar
2013-03-14, 04:48 PM
I believe so. Also, I think it should still be 'who,' but I'm no English professor.

Barbarian MD
2013-03-14, 05:02 PM
I've been fighting a (losing) battle to correct my grammar as my wife and I are trying to have kids. I had to look it up, but whom is right. The object of the statement is whom, and we are the subjects doing the waiting.

Whom are we waiting on?
We are waiting on him.

Who are we waiting on?
We are waiting on he.

Hear the difference?

talpuz
2013-03-14, 05:50 PM
sorry guys, I stopped receiving the subscription emails for some reason.. :smallredface:

Barbarian MD
2013-03-14, 05:54 PM
No worries! I thought that might be the case, so I figured I'd try this thread instead.

Barbarian MD
2013-03-14, 05:55 PM
So that's four kobolds dead, and four that now get to attack us. Good luck surviving everyone!

J-H
2013-03-14, 06:52 PM
On the first full round (after the kobolds go?) I'm going to put Psionic Grease under as many of them as possible.

distant quasar
2013-03-15, 02:52 PM
I've been fighting a (losing) battle to correct my grammar as my wife and I are trying to have kids. I had to look it up, but whom is right. The object of the statement is whom, and we are the subjects doing the waiting.

Whom are we waiting on?
We are waiting on him.

Who are we waiting on?
We are waiting on he.

Hear the difference?

Ah, yes I do. Good to know :smallsmile:

I hope that will save isn't anything too important...

Barbarian MD
2013-03-16, 03:30 PM
I'm concerned that there is a hidden caster somewhere. If we're lucky, there's only one, and he just used up his only 1st level spell, but this could be bad.

Did we happen to hear the direction the casting came from or anything?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-03-16, 04:12 PM
No, one of the remaining 4 kobolds that are out in the open is a caster.

Barbarian MD
2013-03-16, 04:35 PM
Did I see him cast? Can I tell which one it is?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-03-16, 04:58 PM
Yes you can claim to attack him specifically if you want.

J-H
2013-03-17, 08:48 AM
Grease didn't do anything?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-03-17, 02:29 PM
Yes it did I rolled your percentile roll for miscasting and you mistakenly cursed them. I mentioned casters have a chance to accidentally cast a different spell and you permanently reduced there charisma by 4. I should have reminded you to make a percentile roll like the kobold did when it used the sleep spell, but it slipped my mind. However I am sure I mentioned this in the recruitment thread.

J-H
2013-03-17, 03:19 PM
I did not know that that applied to psionics as well as magic.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-03-17, 03:39 PM
It effects anything of magic like nature, but it is neither good or bad just unpredictable.

J-H
2013-03-17, 04:00 PM
Ok.
Does it apply to all magic/psionics, or only to things not attacking the caster? Ie, if I cast Shield or Vigor on myself, am I going to risk a curse like what happened to the kobolds?

Barbarian MD
2013-03-17, 04:28 PM
What's the percentage chance of miscasting?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-03-17, 04:45 PM
It is an 10% chance of failure right now and will decrease as you level, but you can gain even greater buffs or add metapsionic feats sometimes instead of miscasting a negative spell on yourself.

Barbarian MD
2013-03-17, 05:28 PM
Can I see them at all? I mean, even with partial concealment I'm still going to take the shot. My 30' move should get me within decent range of my 100' long bow even if they're running (30'x4=120'), and if my shot is difficult because of the trees then the range is even better because they're probably not that far since that means they're running through difficult terrain. Either tell me what the miss chance is or just roll it for me.

J-H
2013-03-17, 05:38 PM
I recall 80+CL chance of success for magic - is it 90+CL for psionics, or did the base number get changed?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-03-18, 09:46 PM
Can I see them at all? I mean, even with partial concealment I'm still going to take the shot. My 30' move should get me within decent range of my 100' long bow even if they're running (30'x4=120'), and if my shot is difficult because of the trees then the range is even better because they're probably not that far since that means they're running through difficult terrain. Either tell me what the miss chance is or just roll it for me.
I never said they were invisible, just using stealth. The difficult terrain is slowing them, but with the small amount of them that is exposed they would have 9/10 cover and you need to spot them which the cover will also assist in. You may need to spot them than attack at both at a -8 penalty.

I recall 80+CL chance of success for magic - is it 90+CL for psionics, or did the base number get changed?
I changed it to 90+CL-SL so it would be not as often.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-03-27, 05:30 PM
Wow I had almost thought everyone had vanished, but hopefully you've fixed it Barbarian MD. Now excuse me while I get back to preparing for midterms.

Barbarian MD
2013-03-27, 05:51 PM
You can always count on me to punch a slumbering game in the face.

J-H
2013-04-02, 09:21 PM
Anyone else want to come join the conversation?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-04-04, 12:23 PM
I'm not sure if the other three will be back, we may be at a loss of players.

Barbarian MD
2013-04-05, 12:13 PM
We can try PMing them.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-04-05, 01:59 PM
Worth a shot.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-04-07, 02:40 AM
Ya the other two arn't getting my PM's so I am thinking of shutting this down I have had recruitments 3 times now and I can't do that again during school or I will be lagging behind all around. I already had all the way up to level 8 translated into 3.5 from 1st ed, but all of you helped and someone please PM me for any alternatives you may have for playing this with 3 players or if a player comes back.

Barbarian MD
2013-04-09, 09:03 PM
Proposition: we have three players but need five characters. Would anyone want to A) play a missing (existing) character in addition to your own, or B) roll up a new character?

I'd be willing, though I'd be happier if you two wanted to run two characters.

distant quasar
2013-04-10, 02:16 PM
I'd prefer not to. Perhaps we just open up a new recruitment?

Barbarian MD
2013-04-10, 04:37 PM
Orpheus has said he doesn't have time to devote to another recruitment since he's already held two.

distant quasar
2013-04-10, 04:46 PM
Yes, well perhaps we could start one? Just a thought. If it's necessary, I'll run a second character.

Barbarian MD
2013-04-10, 05:18 PM
Okay. I'll start a recruitment thread tomorrow, unless someone beats me to it.

We lost our incarnate (I have no idea what party role that is) and our Swordsage.

I want to try something different with our recruitment thread. Rather than answer a million questions about which homebrew is allowed, I'd like to ask people for their character concept and a writing sample. We pick the players that we like and they can flesh out the mechanics afterwards. Would you guys be amenable to that strategy?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-04-10, 11:49 PM
I say thats a good idea. Link me to the recruitment thread all of us can decide what players we would like to join sense you will be playing with them. Then I will work on character making though I may be slow about it.

Barbarian MD
2013-04-11, 09:24 PM
Recruitment thread: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15075298#post15075298

Barbarian MD
2013-04-16, 05:46 PM
Lots of interest in the recruiting thread. Do any of them stand out to you guys?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-04-16, 10:53 PM
Ya I've narrowed it down to three. Also you get the award for most DM helping. http://fc09.deviantart.net/fs30/i/2008/349/d/3/DR_ORPHEUS_APPROVED_by_DarkKenjie.jpg

Barbarian MD
2013-04-17, 06:50 AM
I'm a fan of xyon, deathslayer, and feirgon.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-04-17, 11:21 AM
I added Xyon to the game he will have some nice character building if you drag him into the mountain caves. Sense Barbarian MD and I shared Xyon in common as a player we wanted to add I'll give distant quasar and J-H slightly more priority in choosing the next player. I also changed the first post you should all look at it.

J-H
2013-04-17, 06:43 PM
JustPlayItLoud or Feirgon both look like they have good ideas to me. Slight leaning towards JustPlayItLoud.

Xyon
2013-04-17, 08:42 PM
Thank you for choosing me, I hope I can make my character interesting to roleplay with. I would get started and maybe even finished with my character by tonight, however I'm not exactly sure which system of stat generation is being used for this campaign.

I all ready know I would like to have a cleric of pelor (or just sun equivalent god if he doesnt exist in this homebrew)

Sometimes during his sun rituals he thinks he can hear the sun talking to him, but has concerns that it may be heat stroke instead of a god taking time to actually speak to him. So this should be fun, I think.

Xyon
2013-04-18, 06:02 AM
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

[roll6] x10 gives me 110 currency to play with.

J-H
2013-04-18, 06:52 AM
Ouch... I think those are worse than the rolls I started with.

Xyon
2013-04-18, 08:28 AM
I think I can work with those rolls, unless Dr. Orpheus really wants me to roll up a second set, I feel fine with them.

Barbarian MD
2013-04-18, 11:10 AM
Dr Orpheus adds to those rolls when you take your first class level (aka now)

Xyon
2013-04-18, 05:12 PM
Perhaps, gosh I really do wish that some of these stats were even as low as 9, hehe, oh well all the more epic for such a character to make it in the long run. Almost finished.
Edit: Bernard greenleaf is ready.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-04-18, 07:29 PM
You used 4d6b3 like I said instead 3d6 so you won't have anything added to them, but Xyon can reroll.

Xyon
2013-04-18, 08:55 PM
stat roll group #2
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

hehe, a little bit better :D

with a bit more carrying capacity I'm gonna switch up my items a little bit for things I wanted before but couldnt actually carry.

J-H
2013-04-18, 09:49 PM
Agias is out of food...low carrying capacity to start with.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-04-18, 10:26 PM
Well food will be tight, but it builds character. Just know that if any of you are to die it will be a glorious meaningful battle, and not something lame like starvation. Let this be a lesson though, if you have not already had issues with feeding characters.

Barbarian MD
2013-04-18, 11:10 PM
Agias is out of food...low carrying capacity to start with.

No, he's not. I easily made the DC with my roll of 21.

Also, I'm okay with arbitrary rules, but I don't like arbitrary rule CHANGES. House rules need to be made known BEFOREHAND.

JustPlayItLoud
2013-04-19, 09:31 AM
Whoops. Just saw the PM this morning. Had work and then IRL D&D last night.

So the established PCs already have a PC class level, but do the new players have it by default? I'm still not entirely sure what class is gonna work best for this character yet, so it might be kind of fun to just be a warrior for a little while.

JustPlayItLoud
2013-04-19, 09:47 AM
Either way, I think I'll pre-emptively roll some base stats, since my AD&D days have left me with a love for rolling 3d6 for stats.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Dr.Orpheus
2013-04-19, 06:06 PM
Alright so I have some news about arbitrary rules. As PC's with PC classes who have spent only a number of long days of training instead of a few years there are some minor rule changes regarding various different rules. All of these rulings will be slightly disadvantageous and thought up as the game goes along. This was how the original GM who first ran this campaign did it, so I have no notes on such rules. Overall this should be fairly legal in 3.5, as the DMG says that the DM can give circumstance bonuses and penalties, this is even stated separately from rule 0. So I'm hoping that makes it seem less like I'm a cheapskate and more like I'm upholding the rules. These penalties will vanish when your characters become a bit more worldly in a level or two.

Also JustPlayItLoud the party is all level one so you can join it at the same level as them and roll 4d6b3 or be a level 2 warrior and keep the set of 3d6.

Barbarian MD
2013-04-19, 10:04 PM
Let's negotiate.

By RAW, the DC is 10 to find food for the day. Someone with no ranks has a 50% chance of finding food. Rowan, with +5, has a 75% chance.

Per your rule, the DC is now 15. This means someone untrained has a 25% chance, and Rowan has a 50% chance. Not only that, but the food he does find is only worth 1/4 of a ration. That's 0.5 lbs of food at a total cost of 1.25 sp. He manages to find enough to eat every four days to supply one day.

That's less than worthless.

So let's negotiate: let's say he finds 0.25 on day one, 0.5 on day two, 0.75 on day three, and 1.0 on day four.

But I'm still not happy with the rule change.

JustPlayItLoud
2013-04-20, 01:06 AM
I don't know how well the flavor of the class fits, but mechanically warblade seems to be the best choice for what I want my character to be capable of doing. I wanted to shy away from any class that wants Int, but I guess it doesn't have to be too high to be an effective warblade.

I guess I'll go ahead and roll a new set of PC stats.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

PS: I looked through the recruitment thread but I didn't see if flaws are allowed or not. If so I will be taking meager fortitude, and possibly another. Also, I intend to eventually use feats and such from CW, CA, and PHII. Probably Power Attack, Robilar's Gambit, Shock Trooper, etc.

Xyon
2013-04-20, 06:51 AM
The dice givith (to you) and taketh (from me) heheheh.

As for the foraging and survival skill check, there are two factors to consider, how long the DM says it takes for you to complete the action of foraging for food, and how much food you would be able to find in that time based on the food density of the area.

Both of these are usually up to the DM, with the DC 10 in the book being a general guide to a dense area.

Now the food might not be a big issue, do we know how many days it would take to get from the shack to the dwarf's fortress? Can we go on half rations with some kind of penalty?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-04-21, 02:14 AM
Let's negotiate.

By RAW, the DC is 10 to find food for the day. Someone with no ranks has a 50% chance of finding food. Rowan, with +5, has a 75% chance.

Per your rule, the DC is now 15. This means someone untrained has a 25% chance, and Rowan has a 50% chance. Not only that, but the food he does find is only worth 1/4 of a ration. That's 0.5 lbs of food at a total cost of 1.25 sp. He manages to find enough to eat every four days to supply one day.

That's less than worthless.

So let's negotiate: let's say he finds 0.25 on day one, 0.5 on day two, 0.75 on day three, and 1.0 on day four.

But I'm still not happy with the rule change.
Finding a day of food in a day is just not going to happen in these mountains while traveling. You may find a mountain goat or wolf, but you would leave most of it behind with carrying capacities and all. There are far fewer plants and most of them are just fur trees nesting a very small number of small animals. You are getting some food and you can live on less than a full ration, this is a different matter than traveling alongside a forest in a temperate climate.

I know it sucks mechanically, but this is more in character naivety than a food problem you and everyone else trained in one area, from one set of books, with a handful of guards, ect.

I don't know how well the flavor of the class fits, but mechanically warblade seems to be the best choice for what I want my character to be capable of doing. I wanted to shy away from any class that wants Int, but I guess it doesn't have to be too high to be an effective warblade.

PS: I looked through the recruitment thread but I didn't see if flaws are allowed or not. If so I will be taking meager fortitude, and possibly another. Also, I intend to eventually use feats and such from CW, CA, and PHII. Probably Power Attack, Robilar's Gambit, Shock Trooper, etc.
The flaw is allowed, I get back to you on the feats later.

As for the foraging and survival skill check, there are two factors to consider, how long the DM says it takes for you to complete the action of foraging for food, and how much food you would be able to find in that time based on the food density of the area.

Both of these are usually up to the DM, with the DC 10 in the book being a general guide to a dense area.

Now the food might not be a big issue, do we know how many days it would take to get from the shack to the dwarf's fortress? Can we go on half rations with some kind of penalty?
See starving builds characters character, and a lot of times players don't have enough experience rollplaying being disheartened and I'm providing the opportunity. Most times a character is only in short term thread or maybe long term if it can be easily solved, but if players have low supplies, flee stronger foes, or fail diplomacy and bluff checks against NPCs then only the character should be sad and the player could stay happy if they are not in immediate danger of loosing the character. The guard in the shack knows along the main road that the trip takes 4 days and has 2 places to stay on the way an abandoned outpost and a mountain village. Taking a 3 day off road route can cause you to travel more directly missing the 2 rest stops, but depending on how much you fail climb checks you may take longer. And all times are doubled while tracking for food or moving in stealth. You will all need to eat at least a third of a ration a day to survive.

Barbarian MD
2013-04-21, 02:56 AM
Question: how long does starvation take to kill? If it's 5-7 days, you're going to have a TPK on your hands if we get lost our fail any climb checks.

We all basically carried as much food as our limited carrying capacities allowed, but that's not enough for this kind of long journey. Since I'm a ranger I figured it would be okay. But for your house rules, it's actually *counterproductive* to hunt and travel half speed when hunting only provides for one quarter of food.

Without my character getting some kind of IC warning about food, he's going to lead them off-road for a total of 8 days and be able to provide on average of enough food for *himself* one of those days (4x0.25), or three days under your starvation rules (no food for five days), and that's assuming we make our climb checks and don't get delayed. (Or two days at half speed equal four plus two normal, for total of 0.5 ration still amounts to five days without food)

IC, Rowan will realize this after a few days, and we'll be forced to turn around and try to make it back to the lower regions before dying of starvation.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-04-21, 03:46 AM
Well there are rules for starvation, I won't change them as there are no major flaws with them. Do what you want IC, but remember I said "if any of you are to die it will be a glorious meaningful battle, and not something lame like starvation" you have many options of what to do still, plenty of them will still let you survive to the dwarves.

Xyon
2013-04-21, 08:15 AM
I think it may be smart to invest in a donkey/mule or two to use for carrying extra stuff, in the meantime, my character has 12 days of rations left, and will be joining you all soon.

Edit: and I don't think I've ever actually seen the rules for starvation, which book/page are they in?

Xyon
2013-04-29, 11:49 AM
naturally the first PBP game I join causes gitp server to crash a few days later :P hehehe

distant quasar
2013-04-29, 05:18 PM
So it was you! *casts accusing look in your direction*

Barbarian MD
2013-04-29, 05:20 PM
^ 3rd level spell :smallwink:

JustPlayItLoud
2013-04-29, 05:44 PM
Well, that was fun. I was going to put together a character sheet online, and then the site went down along with my ability scores. Give me a little while to make all the necessary adjustments, as a sheet with no ability scores is of marginal usefulness. Should be good to go by tomorrow.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-05-02, 05:33 PM
One more vote for trail and the trail will have majority vote.

J-H
2013-05-02, 05:46 PM
Trail, and ready to move on now...

JustPlayItLoud
2013-05-03, 09:33 AM
Sorry everyone, work has been extra dumb this week. Pelleas (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=556235) should be ready to go, however, pending final GM approval.

J-H
2013-05-03, 05:56 PM
That's not what precognition does... it gives me a +2 bonus that I can apply to a given roll at some time during the next 10 minutes.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-05-03, 11:53 PM
Yes it does that too, but you get a vision as well I did that the first time you used it, and I reread through it to be sure.

Barbarian MD
2013-05-04, 05:05 PM
We're either about to get a bunch of attacks of opportunity as they come up, OR we're about to discover a survivor from the attacks.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-05-05, 02:33 AM
JustPlayItLoud your now in the game check the IC.

Barbarian MD
2013-05-05, 04:37 AM
What type of cover bonuses are we talking about? Rowan's just a few feet away with his bow.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-05-05, 11:03 AM
Well the cover in this case would require you to step back a foot or too then drop to prone and fire through the crack between the boulder and ground I'd say plus +8, but he's flat footed.

Barbarian MD
2013-05-07, 11:40 PM
What's the progress with the boulder? Finding something for leverage? Do you want strength checks or what?

Xyon
2013-05-08, 09:04 AM
well I all ready made a roll to assist someone who I'm guessing will take the lead roll in moving the boulder?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-05-09, 11:06 AM
Ya str would be good, but if you find a lever as well it would definitely help. You have a fair chance of doing it without one though if everyone of moderate strength helps.

J-H
2013-05-09, 05:14 PM
Agias was looking for a lever but no results have been posted for that.

Barbarian MD
2013-05-09, 11:03 PM
[roll0] +0 for strength, but maybe +1 for wisdom or intelligence if he can see a way to use leverage or something to assist the roll?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-05-10, 02:10 AM
I'll give a plus 2 for leverage instead cause sticks are found commonly enough so that you could have a lever.

J-H
2013-05-12, 02:12 PM
Are there more hobgoblins at the base of the ladder?

Grease covers 1 object, or a 10' square.... hmm, do I grease the ladder or the area at the bottom of it?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-05-12, 03:42 PM
Nobody else is on the latter and you can see at least two below.

Xyon
2013-05-12, 06:40 PM
I'm guessing the AC I vs the attack is 10 + armor, probably without my shield bonus. Here's a strange question, attacks against flat footed opponents don't count your dex for AC, but does it count if your dex bonus is negative? Anyways I think my AC vs that attack would be 11 (10+3-2, no shield bonus and negative dex)

Barbarian MD
2013-05-12, 08:36 PM
Initiative: [roll0]

Barbarian MD
2013-05-12, 08:39 PM
I would recommend not using grease on the ladder at this point. I'll shoot him off the ladder (hopefully) in a moment. We'll also have high ground bonuses on our attacks. If a swarm of them come up, I'd hit them with grease, but we hope to use the ladder to go down soon (or escape up, and we don't want to prevent a certain someone from dashing UP the ladder if goblins are chasing him).

Dr.Orpheus
2013-05-12, 11:36 PM
You were correct in the attacks missing and for goblin initiative.
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
As of right now Barbarian MD goes first.

JustPlayItLoud
2013-05-14, 06:29 PM
Before rolling to escape my bonds, should I also roll a listen to see if I here battle sounds? Or is that still too far away?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-05-14, 06:41 PM
It's so close you don't need to roll to hear it.

Xyon
2013-05-14, 08:09 PM
Does my action of stepping back and taking out my weapon count for this round where the hobgoblins are being shot all ready?

Dr.Orpheus
2013-05-14, 08:50 PM
Most of the party I would say yes, but having your weapons already out while pushing the boulder would be hard. So you must draw your weapons as a part of your upcoming turn.

Xyon
2013-05-15, 05:03 AM
Ok, so the post I all ready made about stepping back and drawing weapon sounds good to me as far as my turn :D

Edit: phew, AC of 13 with my armor and shield, shield negating my negative dex hehe.

J-H
2013-05-16, 05:58 PM
Failure roll [roll0]

J-H
2013-05-16, 09:06 PM
Darn, I was hoping to make the hobgoblin on the ladder fall off, but he got shot first.
Oh well.
Duration on the Grease is 1 round.

Barbarian MD
2013-05-16, 09:19 PM
I was under the impression that the one attacking Bernard had reached the top and was standing on solid ground. If he was on the ladder I wouldn't have shot him. Ah well, too late to change it.

Dr.Orpheus
2013-05-16, 10:42 PM
Ya I think I goofed on that one so you each will get a natural 20 on your next saving throw.

Barbarian MD
2013-05-17, 04:52 AM
I didn't think it was a big deal, but I won't at no to a natural twenty! :smalltongue:

Barbarian MD
2013-05-18, 08:32 AM
How does Bernard have a MINUS 5 to attack?

distant quasar
2013-05-18, 10:34 AM
How does Bernard have a MINUS 5 to attack?

Yeah, he rolled a 1d10 - 5... I think that was a mistake

Dr.Orpheus
2013-05-18, 01:51 PM
He may reroll the attack when is readied action comes about next round.

Xyon
2013-05-18, 05:40 PM
I have a strength of 9, a base attack bonus of 0, and I'm using a weapon that I'm not proficient with which has a -4 penalty.

distant quasar
2013-05-19, 08:41 AM
I have a strength of 9, a base attack bonus of 0, and I'm using a weapon that I'm not proficient with which has a -4 penalty.

Ouch. Maybe try getting a simple weapon?