PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.5 Races Zero Level Adjustment (Golden Axe/Sieken Densetsu) PEACH

scarmiglionne4
2012-12-13, 02:35 AM
RACES
Beastfolk
Racial Traits
+2 Constitution, +2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence, -2 Charisma
Monstrous Humanoid, Shapechanger
Medium-size
Beastfolk base land speed is 30 feet
Low-light Vision
+2 on Survival and Perception checks
Keen Scent: Scent is an automatic racial Feat.
Clawed Hands: Hands are natural weapons dealing 1d4 lethal damage.
Wolf Form: Once per day a Beastfolk can take wolf form. This ability functions like the alternate form special ability (see the Monster Manual), except as noted here. Each time you use Wolf Form, you regain lost hit points as if you had rested for a night. Effect lasts for 1 hour per character level, or until he changes back. Changing form (to wolf or back) is a standard action.

Any gear worn or carried by the Beastfolk melds into the new form and becomes non-functional. When the Beastfolk reverts to his true form, any objects previously melded into the new form reappear in the same location on his body that they previously occupied and are once again functional. Any new items worn in the assumed form fall off and land at the Beastfolk's feet.
On a night when the moon is either full or new a Beastfolk uncontrollably changes shape into a wolf and cannot change back until dawn. They can still speak in this form and retain their minds. They retain their ability scores modified by the following table. The wolf form is like that of a druid’s animal companion if it were a wolf.

BEASTFOLK WOLF FORM
{table=head]Level | Natural<br />Armor | Str/Dex | Special
1st-2nd |
+0 |
+0 |
3rd-5th |
+2 |
+1 | Evasion
6th-8th |
+4 |
+2 |
9th-10th |
+6 |
+3 | Multiattack[/table]

Use the base statistics for a wolf as given in the Monster Manual, but make the following changes.
Class Level: The characters level or HD.
Base Attack and Saves do not change except where ability score bonus provides bonus to Dexterity and by default Reflex saves.
Natural Armor Adj.: The number noted here is an improvement to the Wolf’s existing natural armor bonus.
Str/Dex Adj.: Add this value to the Beastfolk’s Strength and Dexterity scores.
Evasion (Ex): If the Beastfolk in wolf-form is subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, it takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw.
Multiattack: A Beastfolk in wolf-form gains Multiattack as a bonus feat. It also gains a second bite attack albeit at a –5 penalty.
Improved Evasion (Ex): When subjected to an attack that normally allows a Reflex saving throw for half damage, an Beastfolk in wolf-form takes no damage if it makes a successful saving throw and only half damage if the saving throw fails.
Except for the above noted differences, when a Beastfolk is in this form, he is an ordinary wolf.
Automatic Languages: Common, Garo. Bonus Languages: Dwarven, Elven, Feline, Urkh.
Favored Class: Barbarian or Ranger.

Humans
As written except instead of getting 4 extra skill points at first level they automatically get the skill their tribe specializes in as a class skill at max ranks per level.

Fyrvod
Craft: Weaponsmithing or Craft: Blacksmithing. The tribe of Fyrvod is the only tribe that knows how to make steel. Even so, the necessary material is scarce and any item made of steel in Fyrvod is of masterwork quality. They specialize in the Broadblade (Masterwork Longsword with two-handed grip and 2d4 damage)

Rungnoa
A choice of either Craft: Armorsmithing, Craft: Leatherworking, Profession: Tanner, Profession: Herder, Ride, or Handle Animal. The Rungnoans are master tanners and armorsmiths. They make fine leather and rams-horn helms and studded leather. They raise large rams for their wool and hides. They also train eagles for hunting and large flightless bird creatures for riding.

Sodoluga
Craft: Weaponsmithing, Craft: Bowmaking, or Ride. Due to their incredible strength they are skilled in making bows specially made for exceptional strength. They also make battleaxes of bronze that rival those crafted by dwarves. It is said that they raise dragons and large feathered serpents that they ride on their slave-raids.

Senincra
Craft: Weaponsmithing or Profession: Hunting. The dark-skinned Senincrians are known for their skills as hunters and their special clubs made from wood only found in the southern savannahs and jadestone. Senincrians do not get to choose a bonus feat for being human. They automatically start with Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Senincrian War Club.

Cithia
Heal. Only Hippokentaurides rival the amazons of Cithia in their skills as healers. They claim a goddess came to one of their ancestors and taught them herbal knowledge for healing. It is even said they can heal snake bites and the sting of scorpions.
Their warriors fight with a variety of bronze short sword called the Xiphos. In the hands of a Cithian Amazon, this weapon functions much like a rapier in that it has an increased threat range of 18-20.

Orjyn/Shukwa
These places are made up of people who were either outcasts among their tribesman, or tired of tribal chieftain rules and traditions. These humans are as written in the PHB.

Half-Ogre
Racial Traits
• +4 Strength, –2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, –4 Intelligence, –2 Charisma.
• Giant’s Grip: The Half-Ogre is treated as having the Monkey Grip feat. This means he can grip large and two-handed weapons in one hand with a -2 penalty to the attack roll. He can similarly grip huge weapons in two hands with a -2 penalty to attack rolls.
• Giant Frame: The half-ogre's giant ancestry is evident in their muscle mass and the size of their hands and core. Since they are so nearly large they gain +2 to grapple checks and -2 to Stealth checks.any armor or any shield costs three times its normal amount to purchase and one week to craft because it must be custom-made for a half-ogre.
• Giant: Half-Ogres are creatures of the giant type.
• Medium-Sized: Half-Ogres are anywhere between 7’6” and 8’ tall and weigh on average anywhere from 400 to 500 pounds.
• Half-Ogre base land speed is 30 feet.
• Automatic Languages: Giant and Common. Bonus Languages: Draconic, and Urkh. Smart Half-Ogres (which are rare) learn the languages of their allies or rivals.
• Favored Class: Barbarian.

Hippokentaur
A Hippokentaur is as big as a light horse, but taller and slightly heavier. A Hippokentaur is about 7 feet tall and weighs about 2,100 pounds. They are savage, drunken womanizers. They place little value in knowledge and wisdom.
They are, however, excellent hunters and archers. Anyone they choose to befriend will they remain loyal to through untold hardship and they are honest to a fault in all areas except where females are concerned.

Racial Traits

+2 Strength, +2 Dexterity +2 Constitution, -2 Intelligence, -2 Wisdom, -2 Charisma
Monstrous Humanoid
Large Quadruped: –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Stealth checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed, overran, or tripped, lifting and carrying limits three times those of Medium bipedal characters.
Space/Reach: 10 feet/5 feet.
A hippokentaur’s base land speed is 50 feet.
Natural Weapons: 2 hooves (1d4).
Weapon Proficiency: A hippokentaur is automatically proficient with the shortbow and the longbow (including the composite shortbow and longbow).
Sagittarius: As long as they are unarmored and wear no shields they are treated as having the Precise Shot feat when wielding a short bow, longbow, composite shortbow, or composite longbow.
• Monstrous Frame: any armor or any shield costs three times its normal amount to purchase and one week to craft because it must be custom-made for a hippokentaur.
Automatic Languages: Nephelian (which is Sylvan), and Elven. Bonus Languages: Common, Halfling.
Favored Class: Ranger.

Hippokentaurides
A Hippokentauride is as big as a light horse, but slightly taller. They are the female counterpart to the hippokentaur. A Hippokentauride is about 6 feet tall and weighs about 1,800 pounds.
They are wise and forward-thinking. They are expert healers and herbalists and masters of the quarterstaff. They have difficulty trusting others, especially males due to the treatment by the males of their tribe.
Once their trust is gained, however, one could not ask for a more faithful companion.
Racial Traits

-2 Strength, +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom, -2 Intelligence.
Monstrous Humanoid
Large Quadruped: –1 penalty to Armor Class, –1 penalty on attack rolls, –4 penalty on Hide checks, +4 bonus on grapple checks, +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed, overran, or tripped, lifting and carrying limits three times those of Medium bipedal characters.
Space/Reach: 10 feet/5 feet.
A hippokentauride’s base land speed is 50 feet.
Natural Weapons: 2 hooves (1d4).
Weapon Proficiency: A hippokentauride is automatically proficient with the shortbow and the quarterstaff.
Double-Weapon Fighting: as long as a hippokentauride is unarmored and wears no shield she is treated as having the Two-Weapon Fighting Feat for double-weapons only.
• Monstrous Frame: any armor or any shield costs three times its normal amount to purchase and one week to craft because it must be custom-made for a centaur.
Automatic Languages: Nephelian (Sylvan), Elven. Bonus Languages: Common, Halfling.
Favored Class: Shaman.

Pantherfolk
Racial Traits
* +4 Dexterity, -4 Intelligence
* Humanoid (Feline)
* Pantherfolk base land speed is 40 feet.
* Low-Light Vision (Ex): Pantherfolk can see twice as far as a human can in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions
* Clawed Hands: Hands are natural weapons dealing 1d4 lethal damage.
* +2 racial bonus on Perception and Stealth checks.
* Automatic Languages: Feline and Common. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Halfling, Nephelian (Sylvan). Pantherfolk speak Common and a language called Feline. Brighter Pantherfolk often learn the languages of Beastmen and Halflings.
* Favored Class: Ranger

Midwoka
2012-12-13, 04:21 AM
Your post could use some formatting to make it easier to read; I suggest bolding the race names, putting bullets before the racial abilities like you did with the Half-Ogre, and hiding the Beastfolk wolf form stuff (the code for the table is at the bottom of this post, by the way) and human tribes in Spoiler tags. It's also kind of strange to have your house-rules for ability scores and hitpoints at the top...

The wolf form is like that of a druid’s animal companion if it were a wolf.

Does that actually do anything that's not mentioned in the table or under the wolf's stat block? If it does, you might want to spell it out rather than just referencing the animal companion.

• Medium-Sized: Half-Ogres are anywhere between 7’6” and 8’ tall and weigh on average anywhere from 400 to 500 pounds. Their giant ancestry is evident in their muscle mass and the size of their hands and core. Since they are so nearly large they gain +2 to grapple checks and -2 to Stealth checks.

It's weird to have those extra bonuses and penalties listed under "Medium-Sized", since they're not really part of being Medium. I'd put the -2 to Stealth under the description for Giant Frame, and the +2 to grapple under either Giant Frame or Giant's Grip.

- -

Here's the code for the Beastfolk table =)

BEASTFOLK WOLF FORM
{table=head]Level | Natural<br />Armor | Str/Dex | Special
1st-2nd |
+0 |
+0 |
3rd-5th |
+2 |
+1 | Evasion
6th-8th |
+4 |
+2 |
9th-10th |
+6 |
+3 | Multiattack[/table]

Jormengand
2012-12-13, 12:49 PM
Beastfolk: What about this is not screaming "OP cleric" to you?
Humans: Not seeing the point.
Half-ogre: WOAH! Holy barbarian batman! That thing is going to be waaaaay OP.
Hippokentaur: Can see this one taking the Complete Bastard sword (Huge greensteel bastard sword with monkey's grip) up to eleven by having the extra size category. Also, stat bonuses to all the physicals is a bit over the top.
Hippokentauride: Ehm... can't say I like it that much.
Pantherfolk: Aaaaaand any class based around DEX. No.

scarmiglionne4
2012-12-13, 06:30 PM
Thank you for the critique but please, if you are going to bother to criticize, please make it constructive. I did you this courtesy on Descend.

Beastfolk: What about this is not screaming "OP cleric" to you?

There are no clerics in this campaign. There are druids and shamans (oriental adventures). Only dwarves can be clerics. Harm Undead is used instead of Turn Undead. What about this is OP for a cleric? Is it also OP for a druid or shaman?

Humans: Not seeing the point.

The only real point is fluff and tribal identity. This is a savage or barbarian campaign.

Half-ogre: WOAH! Holy barbarian batman! That thing is going to be waaaaay OP.

How so? How can I fix it?

Hippokentaur: Can see this one taking the Complete Bastard sword (Huge greensteel bastard sword with monkey's grip) up to eleven by having the extra size category. Also, stat bonuses to all the physicals is a bit over the top.

There are no bastard swords in this campaign. The world lies on the cusp of of bronze age and iron age. The most advanced sword is the Fyrvodian Broadblade, which is a steel longsword with a two-handed grip. I'll look into the stat bonuses.

Hippokentauride: Ehm... can't say I like it that much.

Why don't you like it? What is wrong with it? How can I make it better?

Pantherfolk: Aaaaaand any class based around DEX. No.

I do not understand what you are saying here. Please clarify. I understand the Dex bonus is high. Is this what you are talking about?

[/QUOTE]

scarmiglionne4
2012-12-13, 06:45 PM
Does that actually do anything that's not mentioned in the table or under the wolf's stat block? If it does, you might want to spell it out rather than just referencing the animal companion.

I was just referencing the table. That's where it came from. Perhaps it is unnecessary if I provide the table. Thank you very much for the code by the way.

chocobo86z
2012-12-14, 05:19 PM
Beastfolk I think would be fun to play. I would love to be a Shape changer. I figured due to a lot of beastly characters in like anime are beautiful and kind that I figured the Charisma in this race would be a +2? I see that you can choose to turn into your wolf form and regain hitpoints and I think its cool that you consider it a standard action but when they have to stay in wolf form do they ever lose control? I see that you said they keep their frame of mind, but I am used to Werewolves in Books and Movies and was wondering?

Hippokentaur
I love this! I would play a Beastfolk but this is really cool.
"A Hippokentauride is as big as a light horse, but slightly taller. They are the female counterpart to the hippokentaur. A Hippokentauride is about 6 feet tall and weighs about 1,800 pounds.
They are wise and forward-thinking. They are expert healers and herbalists and masters of the quarterstaff. They have difficulty trusting others, especially males due to the treatment by the males of their tribe.
Once their trust is gained, however, one could not ask for a more faithful companion."

I mainly just wanted to say I enjoy reading about your character creation. Also, I seen your profile status, I think that Scarmiglione has tentacles not horns. Your other characters are good, but I think these are my top two choices.

Jormengand
2012-12-14, 05:58 PM
Blah

Okay, without clerics and without bastard swords (or greensteel) those two make sense. I'm just worrying that the half-ogre's stat bonuses are going to make barbarians waaaay too powerful by minning all their mins and maxing all their maxes. Similarly, a pantherfolk's DEX bonus is massive, and they just don't need the INT.

The hippokentauride has the exact opposite problem to the rest - I can't see why I'd ever want to play one.

scarmiglionne4
2012-12-14, 09:48 PM
Beastfolk I think would be fun to play. I would love to be a Shape changer. I figured due to a lot of beastly characters in like anime are beautiful and kind that I figured the Charisma in this race would be a +2? I see that you can choose to turn into your wolf form and regain hitpoints and I think its cool that you consider it a standard action but when they have to stay in wolf form do they ever lose control? I see that you said they keep their frame of mind, but I am used to Werewolves in Books and Movies and was wondering?

Ever see Bad Moon? Near the end when the guy is just about to transform into a werewolf and he looks all primal and beastly with a mouthful of sharp teeth. That is what Beastfolk look like all the time. And no, they don't lose control. Werewolves are a different thing in my campaign.

BeastfolkI mainly just wanted to say I enjoy reading about your character creation. Also, I seen your profile status, I think that Scarmiglione has tentacles not horns. Your other characters are good, but I think these are my top two choices.

Thank you!

scarmiglionne4
2012-12-14, 10:05 PM
Okay, without clerics and without bastard swords (or greensteel) those two make sense. I'm just worrying that the half-ogre's stat bonuses are going to make barbarians waaaay too powerful by minning all their mins and maxing all their maxes. Similarly, a pantherfolk's DEX bonus is massive, and they just don't need the INT.

The hippokentauride has the exact opposite problem to the rest - I can't see why I'd ever want to play one.

All I am concerned about is balance. In my game their is a maneuver called Deathblow. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=264064) Pantherfolk have little chance of ever getting to do this. Intelligence and Wisdom are important stats for warriors because of Deathblow and critical effect. I almost expect people want to dump strength once they figure out how these things work.

Min-Maxing will be difficult due to my using Organic character rolling style.

Roll 4d6 six times, discarding the lowest die each time. Place in order (Str, Dex, Con, Int, Wis, Cha) as rolled. Reroll any one ability score of your choice, taking the new roll only if it’s higher. Then switch any two ability scores.

I had thought about having the Pantherfolk have -2 in Int, Wis, and maybe even Cha. I think they would be attractive, even to members of different races, but in my mind they talk like Eartha Kitt's Catwoman. Maybe that is odd enough to merit a -2 to Cha. I always thought that it was kind of sexy. :smallamused:

I feel like they should have good Wisdom because they are cat people so should be perceptive. I don't think they should be frail for the same reason, other than their stats resembling high elves. I think their stats are set the only way they make fluffy sense.

The hippokentaurides are based on the Kentauride character from Golden Axe: Revenge of Death Adder, which is an inspiration for my campaign. They are built to match that character. Once again, they are fluff first. Are they underpowered though?

Tanuki Tales
2012-12-16, 11:13 PM
My comments:

Beastfolk
Why are Beastfolk called as such if they only become wolves?
Why do they have a claw attack instead of a bite? Canines have more impressive jaws after all.
I think this race is alright overall. A little on the strong side, but nothing overpoweringly so in my opinion.

Humans
Interesting and flavorful. More elaboration on the tribes and how they interact with one another would be neat.

Half-Ogre
These guys look weak to me. They take some serious penalties, have Powerful Build except that it's split into two lesser forms that aren't as good, and basically just get meat shield stat bumps. I'd re-write these guys so they're more interesting and fun to play.

Hippokentaur
I'd probably lessen the Intelligence penalty on these guys. Sure, they're large quadrupeds, but the really good thing with Large size is the reach that usually accompanies it.

Hippokentaurides
Why exactly are the females of the Hippokentaur a separate species?

Patherfolk
I'd rewrite these guys honestly. They're like blander elves who are only as strong because of a big bonus and big penalty to their stats.

scarmiglionne4
2012-12-17, 01:15 AM
Thanks for the critique.

Beastfolk
Why are Beastfolk called as such if they only become wolves?
Why do they have a claw attack instead of a bite? Canines have more impressive jaws after all.
I think this race is alright overall. A little on the strong side, but nothing overpoweringly so in my opinion.

I did not want to call them wolf folk or something similar because they are not always "wolfy." The Pantherfolk always look like panther people. Plus, they are supposed to be beastly-looking. Also, they are inspired by the beastmen from Sieken Densetsu. Since they are supposed to more or less have a humanoid mouth, I thought it inappropriate for them to have a bite attack.

Humans
Interesting and flavorful. More elaboration on the tribes and how they interact with one another would be neat.

In the works

Half-Ogre
These guys look weak to me. They take some serious penalties, have Powerful Build except that it's split into two lesser forms that aren't as good, and basically just get meat shield stat bumps. I'd re-write these guys so they're more interesting and fun to play.

This is their third revision. The early versions were play-tested and seemed to powerful to me, so I toned them down. Any suggestions for what would make them mor efun to play without breaking them?

Hippokentaur
I'd probably lessen the Intelligence penalty on these guys. Sure, they're large quadrupeds, but the really good thing with Large size is the reach that usually accompanies it.

Hippokentaurides
Why exactly are the females of the Hippokentaur a separate species?

Hippokentaurs are a patriarchy and Hippokentaurides are a matriarchy. They have stayed separate for so long they have grown into two different sub-species. Hippokentaurs are happy to mate with humanoid women or even wild female ponies. They only mate with a Hippokentauride when she desires to bear children. There is no unity between them. They do not even ally in times of war. Female children stay with their mother. Male children stay until they are old enough to mate, and leave their mother forever to live with the other males.

Patherfolk
I'd rewrite these guys honestly. They're like blander elves who are only as strong because of a big bonus and big penalty to their stats.

Any suggestions on the rewrite?

Tanuki Tales
2012-12-17, 11:53 PM
Thanks for the critique.

You're welcome. :smallsmile:

I did not want to call them wolf folk or something similar because they are not always "wolfy." The Pantherfolk always look like panther people. Plus, they are supposed to be beastly-looking. Also, they are inspired by the beastmen from Sieken Densetsu. Since they are supposed to more or less have a humanoid mouth, I thought it inappropriate for them to have a bite attack.

Aaaaand I completely missed that these guys were all adaptations of existing intellectual property. My bad.

This is their third revision. The early versions were play-tested and seemed to powerful to me, so I toned them down. Any suggestions for what would make them mor efun to play without breaking them?

Do they need a +4 Strength bonus and all those penalties? Because the big bonus is what you end up really needing to balance out and what kills having multiple, fun racial abilities.

A list of things I'd potentially implement in a half-giant/giant descended race:
Increased damage to objects.
Bonuses to grappling, bullrushing, sundering, etc.
Bonuses to skills like Intimidate, Survival, Climbing, etc.
Bonuses to attack or damage rolls when using two-handed weapons.
Bonuses to Fortitude saves or extra hit points per level
Proficiency with certain weapons (clubs, greatclubs, spears, etc).
Natural armor

Stuff like that.

Hippokentaurs are a patriarchy and Hippokentaurides are a matriarchy. They have stayed separate for so long they have grown into two different sub-species. Hippokentaurs are happy to mate with humanoid women or even wild female ponies. They only mate with a Hippokentauride when she desires to bear children. There is no unity between them. They do not even ally in times of war. Female children stay with their mother. Male children stay until they are old enough to mate, and leave their mother forever to live with the other males.

Alrighty.

Any suggestions on the rewrite?

Well, I'd need more info on them.