PDA

View Full Version : Druid's Share Spells features with Animal Companion

Discipol
2012-12-13, 03:21 AM
Greetings. I have a druid with a Dire Ape.
I was wondering if I could activate a Ring of Invisibility so my ape could get the same effect.

I know for a fact that drinking a potion gives the effect to the animal companion, even if its a potion of Enlarge Person.

But I could not find a proper description regarding wondrous items and if it regards me, the user, as the caster. This is the main requirement regarding the use of Share Spells, for ME to be the caster.

Ty in advance.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-12-13, 03:27 AM
Share Spells (Ex)

At the druid’s option, she may have any spell (but not any spell-like ability) she casts upon herself also affect her animal companion. The animal companion must be within 5 feet of her at the time of casting to receive the benefit. If the spell or effect has a duration other than instantaneous, it stops affecting the animal companion if the companion moves farther than 5 feet away and will not affect the animal again, even if it returns to the druid before the duration expires.

Additionally, the druid may cast a spell with a target of "You" on her animal companion (as a touch range spell) instead of on herself. A druid and her animal companion can share spells even if the spells normally do not affect creatures of the companion’s type (animal).

You can't share potions, nor spells activated from wands, staffs, scrolls, or any other magic items. Share Spells only works with spells you cast yourself.

Discipol
2012-12-13, 03:29 AM
Potions are like spells cast upon the imbiber. The character taking the potion doesn’t get to make any decisions about the effect —the caster who brewed the potion has already done so. The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect (though the potion indicates the caster level, the drinker still controls the effect).

Your quoting abilities are obviously lacking.
The question of the post remains the same, regarding wondrous items.

TuggyNE
2012-12-13, 04:19 AM
Potions are like spells cast upon the imbiber. The character taking the potion doesn’t get to make any decisions about the effect —the caster who brewed the potion has already done so. The drinker of a potion is both the effective target and the caster of the effect (though the potion indicates the caster level, the drinker still controls the effect).

Being the caster of an effect may not be sufficient (and probably isn't, by RAW) to qualify as the caster of a spell for the purposes of Share Spells. The intent also seems fairly clear; only spells particularly, not even SLAs, may qualify.