PDA

View Full Version : Abjurant champion and spell storing weapon

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-12-13, 11:32 AM
How do an abjurant champion's class features interact with a spell storing weapon?

The SRD description of this weapon ability says "The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action." An abjurant champion has the Swift Abjuration ability that says he "can" cast abjuration spells as though thgey were quickened (as a swift action) if they have a level no higher than half his class level (rounded up.) Dispel magic is a 3rd level abjuration spell with a casting time of 1 standard action. Could a level 5 champion cast dispel magic into a spell storing weapon as a swift action?

An abjurant champion put beneficial abjuration (let's say protection from evil) into a spell storing weapon (maybe he's trying to snap a guy out of domination during their fight). When the spell is activated, would it benefit from the champ's extended abjuration abjuration? (I'm assuming it would at least use his caster level since the spell storing weapon desscription doesn't include the part from the spell storing ring description about using the lowest possible caster level.)

Snowbluff
2012-12-13, 11:39 AM
The SRD description of this weapon ability says "The spell must have a casting time of 1 standard action." An abjurant champion has the Swift Abjuration ability that says he "can" cast abjuration spells as though they were quickened (as a swift action) if they have a level no higher than half his class level (rounded up.) Dispel magic is a 3rd level abjuration spell with a casting time of 1 standard action. Could a level 5 champion cast dispel magic into a spell storing weapon as a swift action?

The weapon designates no action to imprint a spell. I would assume casting the spell is all you need to do, so it should work as a swift. I don't see you don't just cast Slashing Dispel or just cast the Dispel Magic

An abjurant champion put beneficial abjuration (let's say protection from evil) into a spell storing weapon (maybe he's trying to snap a guy out of domination during their fight). When the spell is activated, would it benefit from the champ's extended abjuration abjuration? (I'm assuming it would at least use his caster level since the spell storing weapon desscription doesn't include the part from the spell storing ring description about using the lowest possible caster level.)

It acts as if you had cast the spell.

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-12-13, 12:01 PM
Slashing dispel: The character is an NPC sorcerer with a bunch of racial hit dice (that helped him get to the BAB requirement for champ) but only 7 levels in of casting (1 Sorc/5 Champ/1 Spellsword) so third level's the best he's got. Also, since he has a limited selection to begin with as a sorcerer, he'd probably stick to dispel magic anyways as abjurant champion lets him cast it quickened. (Always a handy trick.)

Why not just cast Dispel? The same reason you would cast anything into a spell storing weapon during battle; you've got an extra action this round (not too hard if the spell can be cast quickened) and think the spell might be more handy later.

Thanks for your help.