PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Building a Glass Cannon

Silverjade
2012-12-13, 01:38 PM
I'm working on a Priest for a Pathfinder game and I was hoping to get some help.
The whole point is to make a Glass Cannon divine spell caster instead of the typical arcane caster in that role.

These are my stats Str 10, Dex 15, Con 7, Int 15, Wis 20, Cha 16

I've traded my armor proficiency for an extra feat, and exchanged my Knowledge Domain for a GM approved Light domain that has a few combat spells and resistance to shadow as it's domain power.

My thoughts on starting feats are Scribe Scroll, Combat Casting, and Improved Initiative.

I still need a Spell List (i know i get all the spells, but which should I prepare?), 3 traits (each from a different category), and a build plan and equipment plan. Also, are there any better level 1 feats I should consider. Normally I'm a GM and when I'm not I'm usually playing range or melee characters.... although I used to play wizards all the time back in 1st and 2nd edition.

Malroth
2012-12-13, 03:44 PM
Was going to reccomend Domain spontainety, Versitile spell caster and Divine metamagic Maximize but then realized this is a pathfinder thread not 3.5.

AttilaTheGeek
2012-12-13, 04:17 PM
First and foremost, I want to ask why, oh [god(s) of your campaign] why do you have 7 CON? And no armor? You're going to die if anyone so much as sneezes within 5 feet of you. Also, since it is a Pathfinder thread, you should preface the title with [PF] or add the word "Pathfinder" to it so people know.

(on to actually being helpful...sorta)
There's not really much I can say as for spell/feat selection. There's a reason most blasters are arcane instead of divine- because there isn't really much divine support for blasting. I mean, I suppose there's...Implosion? And the Inflict spells, which have a range of "please attack of opportunity me to death now, kthxbai".

Silverjade
2012-12-13, 05:09 PM
First and foremost, I want to ask why, oh [god(s) of your campaign] why do you have 7 CON? And no armor? You're going to die if anyone so much as sneezes within 5 feet of you. Also, since it is a Pathfinder thread, you should preface the title with [PF] or add the word "Pathfinder" to it so people know.

Why do I have 7 Con? Because my character is an a scholar and preacher, not a strapping young man. He believes his faith will protect him, like many of the priests in history. And quite frankly, a Priest only can wear Light Armor anyway, so it's not like I'm giving up much.

There's not really much I can say as for spell/feat selection. There's a reason most blasters are arcane instead of divine- because there isn't really much divine support for blasting. I mean, I suppose there's...Implosion? And the Inflict spells, which have a range of "please attack of opportunity me to death now, kthxbai".

but there are plenty of indirect damage spells in the divine spell list. Especially Fire and Light based ones.

CTrees
2012-12-13, 05:14 PM
The right domains can help somewhat... Fire, Water, Storms, etc. A blasting cleric still isn't fantastic. If I had to go divine, I think I'd look at Oracle first. There's actually some offensive muscle there with the right mystery (or the Ancient Lorekeeper archetype).

Lord Il Palazzo
2012-12-13, 05:22 PM
You might want to clarify if you're talking about the 3rd Party Priest class rather than the Cleric core class since earlier editions of D&D (if I'm not mistaken) called the Clreric a Priest (and even in Pathfinder, clerics can wear up to medium armor). The Pathfinder Priest is kind of like the D&D UA Cloistered Cleric.

Even if you can only wear light armor, you really should. +4 to AC is much better than +0, especially at lower levels.

CTrees
2012-12-13, 07:12 PM
Ah... looks like this: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/3rd-party-classes/adamant-entertainment/priest

Which is somewhat interesting. Three domains and extra spells per level to boot? And OP's DM allowed one to be swapped for a more blasty option? This may be suboptimal, but may still have some legs.

Silverjade
2012-12-13, 10:20 PM
Yeah, the 3rd Party "Priest" And I'm aware I'm giving up defense, but the character wouldn't wear armor. It's as simple as that. The character's flavor is ultimately more important than min/maxing. But feats have very little fluff value, so they're pretty much open to interpretation. And the Light Domain has 3 blasty spells at 2, 3, and 6... including disintegration.

avr
2012-12-13, 10:54 PM
It may be a little dull, but Spell Focus (& Greater') is a perfectly reasonable feat for a blaster. If you're not getting damage spells until character level 3+ they could wait until then of course.

The Gifted Adept trait & the Burning Disarm spell could get you a start in your career as a divine blaster. It may not combo well with Spell Focus if you go that way though, I suspect your other blasting spells wouldn't be transmutation school. Alternately, Gifted Adept & the Sanctuary spell might be a get out of trouble free card.