PDA

View Full Version : Cloak of Resistance vs Vest of Resistance

Story
2012-12-13, 02:14 PM
The Magic Item Compendium has both the Cloak of Resistance and the Vest of Resistance lines. Same price, same stats, they just use a different slot. So which one is better? If I had to guess I'd say the vest is better, especially for undead, who can later get a Cloak of Turn Resistance. But I'm not familiar with all the magic items, so I don't know which slots are better in general.

hymer
2012-12-13, 02:20 PM
You're not giving us any class or level to work with so I suggest this: Look at pages 252 and 255 in MIC. There's an overview of each slot. Plan from there.

Deophaun
2012-12-13, 02:21 PM
According to the MIC, resistance is a common enhancement and so can be added to an existing magic item with no cost penalty. Thus, the answer to your question is that both are identical for whatever purpose you have in mind.

Story
2012-12-13, 03:22 PM
Does that mean you could just slap it on any item you're wearing already?

candycorn
2012-12-13, 04:09 PM
Pretty much, yeah.

Cloak of Turning resistance with resistance +2 on it will cost as much, by the rules, as a cloak of turning resistance, and a cloak of resistance +2. No cost difference, but you can wear 1 item and get both benefits.

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-13, 09:03 PM
Pretty much, yeah.

Cloak of Turning resistance with resistance +2 on it will cost as much, by the rules, as a cloak of turning resistance, and a cloak of resistance +2. No cost difference, but you can wear 1 item and get both benefits.

The problem with doing so is that it usually has to be custom made, and there aren't a lot of vests worth anything anyway, so it's generally easier to just take the vest of resistance and whatever cloak strikes your fancy. You also avoid putting all your eggs in one magic item, so to speak.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-13, 09:45 PM
The problem with doing so is that it usually has to be custom made, and there aren't a lot of vests worth anything anyway, so it's generally easier to just take the vest of resistance and whatever cloak strikes your fancy. You also avoid putting all your eggs in one magic item, so to speak.

Yup. I think there's only like a half dozen decent vests or other items that occupy that spot. So might as well take the vest of resistance, and a cloak of X. A lot easier than finding an NPC to put both on the same cloak.
Of course, if you're a crafter, it doesn't much matter.

Mithril Leaf
2012-12-13, 09:50 PM
Looking at my old character sheets I found the following to be worthwhile vest slot items:
Shirt of Wraith Stalking
Tabard of Valor
That's about it.