PDA

View Full Version : Catgirls?

Hyde
2012-12-13, 05:51 PM
Alright, I'm not certain it's even specific to 3.5, but I've heard this term being thrown around a lot. What's a catgirl (in context, I'm pretty familiar with the concept otherwise) and why do we have to murder them all?

INoKnowNames
2012-12-13, 05:52 PM
For your information. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catgirl)

Morithias
2012-12-13, 05:53 PM
Alright, I'm not certain it's even specific to 3.5, but I've heard this term being thrown around a lot. What's a catgirl (in context, I'm pretty familiar with the concept otherwise) and why do we have to murder them all?

I'm not 100% Sure on this. But from what I understand, the joke is "Everytime you bring up real world physics in the context of a tabletop game a catgirl dies."

Morph Bark
2012-12-13, 05:55 PM
The commoner railgun is made up of only females and their ammunition consists of cats. The participants are also known as "catgirls" for that reason.

Getsugaru
2012-12-13, 05:56 PM
If you're referring to the race, I think Catfolk are in Races of the Wild.

Otherwise, I have no idea what you're talking about...

INoKnowNames
2012-12-13, 05:57 PM
I'm not 100% Sure on this. But from what I understand, the joke is "Everytime you bring up real world physics in the context of a tabletop game a catgirl dies."

That was my understanding of it.

Hyde
2012-12-13, 05:58 PM
Well, I'm kind of on the fence about catgirls to begin with. the ones that actually have fur kinda weird me out, but the ones that are human otherwise are pretty okay.

Regardless, I'm surprised there are any left, since my friends and I made a physics-based rpg.

Morph Bark
2012-12-13, 05:59 PM
Regardless, I'm surprised there are any left, since my friends and I made a physics-based rpg.

They breed faster than Time Lords can stop them. They have no other known vulnerabilities.

Hyde
2012-12-13, 06:03 PM
Oddly, every imagine I found relating to the physics/Catgirl thing was recursive to this forum. Ah well.

Anderlith
2012-12-13, 06:26 PM
Every time you bring up real world physics in a discussion about fantasy anime, God kills a Cat Girl. Please, think of the catgirls.

T.V. Tropes & Idioms is always a good place to start after google.

Idk who said it first but, the basic meaning is; Don't poke at the physics of a game too hard, or you ruin things like the existence of a catgirl (which couldn't physically exist properly)

Jeraa
2012-12-13, 06:46 PM
Yes, please. Think of the catgirls. (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/transfer-funds-drug-war-fund-research-and-development-genetic-engineering-domestic-cat-girls/3V3hnsHx)

(That needs to get enough signatures. If only to hear the official response from the government.)

Felyndiira
2012-12-13, 06:58 PM
It's pretty much exactly the same as the concepts you're familiar with, I imagine. Catgirls come up as memetic jokes every once in a while, and is home-brewed into some games run by, or harboring a significant number of, anime enthusiasts. Base D&D does not support such a creature (the closest you can get are catfolk, which are fully anthropomorphic creatures).

CIDE
2012-12-13, 09:19 PM
My God... I've killed so many Catgirls....

I'M A MONSTER!!! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tiv1UP-oHvs)

TypoNinja
2012-12-14, 02:05 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mb4iosD8dW1rp9acvo1_400.gif

I'm pretty sure this image is the origin/popularization of the phrase. Its the first one I ever saw anyway.

Replace the "fantasy comic" with pretty much any other X variable as appropriate. Sci fi, table top games, video games, whatever.

Rubik
2012-12-14, 02:35 AM

I'm pretty sure this image is the origin/popularization of the phrase. Its the first one I ever saw anyway.

Replace the "fantasy comic" with pretty much any other X variable as appropriate. Sci fi, table top games, video games, whatever.They're like Pokemon.

Gotta kill 'em all.

TypoNinja
2012-12-14, 02:42 AM
They're like Pokemon.

Gotta kill 'em all.

If you look closely you can spot the "You are so mean!" subtitle. I think that really is the capstone of the whole thing.

INoKnowNames
2012-12-14, 02:43 AM
They're like Pokemon.

Gotta kill 'em all.

There is no part of that statement or what is implied by it that I like.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-12-14, 02:52 AM
They're like Pokemon.

Gotta kill 'em all.

I think we did already. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2010735#post2010735)

Rubik
2012-12-14, 02:58 AM
There is no part of that statement or what is implied by it that I like.Considering that Pokemon is basically a half-hour long, animated cockfight...

INoKnowNames
2012-12-14, 03:29 AM
Considering that Pokemon is basically a half-hour long, animated cockfight...

Yes, except all the *Pokemon* survive at the end, and everyone learns a valuable lesson about controling Kaiju, and it's not animal abuse, like PETA thinks (http://features.peta.org/pokemon-black-and-white-parody/). (click at your own risk)

Rubik
2012-12-14, 03:32 AM
Yes, except all the *Pokemon* survive at the end, and everyone learns a valuable lesson about controling Kaiju, and it's not animal abuse, like PETA thinks (http://features.peta.org/pokemon-black-and-white-parody/). (click at your own risk)Considering what PETA does to the animals it "frees," I'm sure the Pokemon are better off cockfighting.

INoKnowNames
2012-12-14, 03:38 AM
Considering what PETA does to the animals it "frees," I'm sure the Pokemon are better off cockfighting.

It's sad, really... but this is getting too far off topic.

CatGirls... are Catfolk more Catgirl, or Furry?

Rubik
2012-12-14, 03:49 AM
It's sad, really... but this is getting too far off topic.

CatGirls... are Catfolk more Catgirl, or Furry?Only half of them are female, you know. And definitely furry.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

ahenobarbi
2012-12-14, 03:54 AM
Only half of them are female, you know. And definitely furry.

So half of the catgirls are male :smalleek:

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Sounds a bit like

Hufflepuff (not that there's anything wrong with them, great people, by the way)

INoKnowNames
2012-12-14, 04:01 AM
Only half of them are female, you know. And definitely furry.

Pardon me. Catboy just doesn't roll off the tongue like Catgirl.

So half of the catgirls are male :smalleek:

.... that's a hilarious misunderstanding.

Rubik
2012-12-14, 04:03 AM
So half of the catgirls are male :smalleek:You realize the statement I quoted was about catfolk, right?

Though they ARE Japanese anime, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bish%C5%8Dnen) so who knows?

Sounds a bit likeAnd it's awesome.

ahenobarbi
2012-12-14, 05:02 AM
You realize the statement I quoted was about catfolk, right?

I thought you did. But that wouldn't be funny :P

Morph Bark
2012-12-14, 05:10 AM
So catgirls are Hufflepuffs, or Hufflepuffs are furries?

That would explain a thing or two.

Rubik
2012-12-14, 05:22 AM
So catgirls are Hufflepuffs, or Hufflepuffs are furries?

That would explain a thing or two.They're only a letter or two away from being flufflefluffs.

Rubik
2012-12-14, 05:24 AM
Pardon me. Catboy just doesn't roll off the tongue like Catgirl.That's catBOI. Japan, y'know.

Also. (http://fc04.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2011/318/5/6/skyrim___male_khajiit_by_skytheory-d4g5gx8.jpg)

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-14, 05:28 AM
That's catBOI. Japan, y'know.

Why is it 'catboi', since it's not 'katogaaru', for starters?

Rubik
2012-12-14, 05:35 AM
Why is it 'catboi', since it's not 'katogaaru', for starters?You don't get around the internet much, do you.

Morph Bark
2012-12-14, 07:53 AM
You don't get around the internet much, do you.

Thiago gets around. He has class and doesn't afraid of everything.

ThiagoMartell
2012-12-14, 07:59 AM
Thiago gets around. He has class and doesn't afraid of everything.
I think Morph Bark is a pretty cool guy.

DigoDragon
2012-12-14, 08:18 AM

My players stopped bring up physics loop-holes in our D&D games after I TPK'd them with a gang of Catgirl zombies. I'm not sure which part was more embarrasing-- the fact the zombies were still catgirls or that they were the slow, single-action undead type that shouldn't have TPK'd a mid-level party. :smallamused:
So yeah, even if killed, catgirls aren't harmless.

Morithias
2012-12-14, 08:20 AM
My players stopped bring up physics loop-holes in our D&D games after I TPK'd them with a gang of Catgirl zombies. I'm not sure which part was more embarrasing-- the fact the zombies were still catgirls or that they were the slow, single-action undead type that shouldn't have TPK'd a mid-level party. :smallamused:
So yeah, even if killed, catgirls aren't harmless.

My old party said that "Sparkly vampires could never be threatening" so I TPKed them with a half-nymph vampire....in a brothel.

Never challenge the DM. They will always win.

hymer
2012-12-14, 08:24 AM
That you TPK'ed your party out of spite doesn't make sparkly vampires any less laughable or inherently unthreatening, you know.

Morithias
2012-12-14, 08:44 AM
That you TPK'ed your party out of spite doesn't make sparkly vampires any less laughable or inherently unthreatening, you know.

Hey I gave them a shot! It's not my fault the idiot decided to sleep with her! Leaving only two members of the party left, one who was a barbarian/berserker and therefore had a horrible will save!

Not every villain the DM throws at you plays fair people. Sometimes they know what the hell they're doing.

And furthermore. That vampire's CR was equal to the party's level. This wasn't me TPKing them with an encounter that was way above their level.

Malroth
2012-12-14, 04:27 PM
Just goes to show you that your wizard/begiiler/bard/sorcorer/trickery cleric/psion/urban druid should never ever ever ever ever let the melee guy keep their free will because if you don't mind control them someone smarter than you will.

CIDE
2012-12-14, 09:03 PM
I think we did already. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2010735#post2010735)

While Osmium has no gold cost the fact that it's excluded could allow a DM to exclude it as a substance. Plus, antimatter damage is already in one of the D20 Future books.

My old party said that "Sparkly vampires could never be threatening" so I TPKed them with a half-nymph vampire....in a brothel.

Never challenge the DM. They will always win.

The house always wins. (http://www.mysharetrading.com/files/tradingblog/the-house-always-wins.jpg?0)

Hiro Protagonest
2012-12-14, 09:17 PM
one who was a barbarian/berserker and therefore had a horrible will save!

This statement is self-contradictory.

Morithias
2012-12-14, 09:29 PM
This statement is self-contradictory.

Explain please. Neither Barbarian nor the berserker have good will saves.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-12-14, 09:29 PM
While Osmium has no gold cost the fact that it's excluded could allow a DM to exclude it as a substance. Plus, antimatter damage is already in one of the D20 Future books.

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lus5zshaQv1qafrh6.jpg

demigodus
2012-12-14, 09:35 PM

Not only that, they are off by quite a bit on converting from 50 cubic feet to cubic meters. They get 15 cubic meters, when it is actually on the order of 1.42 or so.

The assumption is also made that all of it explodes simultaneously (else you wouldn't get the entire load right away). This is unrealistic at best. The matter exploding at the edge would push the other matter AWAY from the anti-matter, so that exploding away all of it would not be instantaneous. Perhaps it could be instant if only half the space was converted to anti-matter, while the other kept as regular matter, with the two perfectly mixed together. However, that would require equal density matter, would be unreasonably complex, and would halve the load once again.

I propose that since they did not properly utilize real world physics (or even basic geometry), that they in fact killed no cat girls.

EDIT: further analysis:

This converts over to be roughly 15.25 cubic meters, for a final density of 344,802 kg.

Pretty sure he means mass. This is some pretty shobby physics. I would like to revoke my previous statement, and declare he may have caused the BIRTH of catgirls...

1 gram of antimatter produces roughly a 43 kiloton reaction (doubling once the matter is added into the equation, so the detonation of 1g of AM in contact with 1g of matter is 86kt).

I checked it, based on the wikipedia numbers, it takes 2 grams of stuff (so 1g antimatter + 1g matter) to produce those 43 kilotons. So off by another factor of 2 here.

So another error in terms of basic fact checking

I'm going to assume he knows how to multiply,

CIDE
2012-12-14, 10:00 PM
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lus5zshaQv1qafrh6.jpg

See the below post to understand where I was going. But nice try.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-12-15, 12:50 AM
See the below post to understand where I was going. But nice try.

Whether or not any given DM would allow the Osmium to exist is not the point. The point is that he was bringing in real-world physics into D&D, which as we all know, kills catgirls.

demigodus
2012-12-15, 02:09 AM
Whether or not any given DM would allow the Osmium to exist is not the point. The point is that he was bringing in real-world physics into D&D, which as we all know, kills catgirls.

The post he was pointing to (mine) didn't have anything to do with whether a DM would allow Osmium to exist or not. It was a step by step demonstration that what was used in that post was NOT in fact real world physics.

CIDE
2012-12-15, 04:19 PM
What Demigodus said. They attempted to bring real world physics into D&D

INoKnowNames
2012-12-15, 04:23 PM
+1 vote that even trying, whether or not it's correct, to bring in real life physics kills cat girls. The post in this thread probably slaid a couple by itself...

Heh, my current Avatar makes me laugh at this entire thread...

toapat
2012-12-15, 04:25 PM
Explain please. Neither Barbarian nor the berserker have good will saves.

actually, they do

just not while thinking/Not Frenzy raged

Morithias
2012-12-15, 04:29 PM
actually, they do

just not while thinking/Not Frenzy raged

Yes, because when you're in the middle of a brothel and a woman walks into the room stark naked the first thing you think is "HULK SMASH!"

toapat
2012-12-15, 04:32 PM
Yes, because when you're in the middle of a brothel and a woman walks into the room stark naked the first thing you think is "HULK SMASH!"

Well, of course you do, it is +4 con, +10 strength afterall

Morithias
2012-12-15, 04:34 PM

I..uh..I..what..the...explain the logic behind this?

toapat
2012-12-15, 04:36 PM
I..uh..I..what..the...explain the logic behind this?

belkar put it more elloquently then i ever could (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0244.html)

anyway, lets end that /offftopic

INoKnowNames
2012-12-15, 05:55 PM
belkar put it more elloquently then i ever could (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0244.html)

anyway, lets end that /offftopic

Personally, I'd like to hear you explain the sense behind this myself, since I was following that line of thought perfectly until your +4 con thing.

I'd also like to hear why people -do- bring in Real World Physics to fantasy games. Yes, some Acceptable Breaks from Reality have to occur, but the whole Antimatterosmiumwhatsit conversation killed as many of my Brain Cells as it did Catgirls...

Kazyan
2012-12-15, 06:17 PM
Personally, I'd like to hear you explain the sense behind this myself, since I was following that line of thought perfectly until your +4 con thing.

I'd also like to hear why people -do- bring in Real World Physics to fantasy games. Yes, some Acceptable Breaks from Reality have to occur, but the whole Antimatterosmiumwhatsit conversation killed as many of my Brain Cells as it did Catgirls...

Stoneblessed into Goliath sub levels for Barbarian = Mountain Rage -> Become large while raging and no I am not smart enough to put that more coherently today. Size increase modifiers. You get +2 Con per size category, +2 Str from Small->Medium, +8 Str from Medium->Large. And I think some natural armor and -4 Dex. (I learned this from trying to build a level 234 Immortals Handbook character. It was horrible.)

Bringing in real world physics happens because the world generally runs on physics. Humans exist. But the HP:MoR approach goes a little too far.

toapat
2012-12-15, 06:28 PM

Last panel, what is Belkar talking about in DnD innuendo

INoKnowNames
2012-12-15, 06:37 PM
Kazyan, you quoted my message, yet you didn't seem to understand what I was asking, or I just didn't understand your answer.

Stoneblessed into Goliath sub levels for Barbarian = Mountain Rage -> Become large while raging and no I am not smart enough to put that more coherently today. Size increase modifiers. You get +2 Con per size category, +2 Str from Small->Medium, +8 Str from Medium->Large. And I think some natural armor and -4 Dex. (I learned this from trying to build a level 234 Immortals Handbook character. It was horrible.)

While the beginning made sense, I don't see -anywhere- in the rules about Size Categories that you get increased stats from the Size Change, just the bonuses from increased Rage. Infact, that part of your response doesn't seem to be at all responding to what I quoted earlier that I said didn't make sense to me.

This part. And the following explanations.

Bringing in real world physics happens because the world generally runs on physics. Humans exist. But the HP:MoR approach goes a little too far.

Again, I accept that some physics come in, Aceptable Breaks of Reality and all. But D&D's built on characters who specifically ignore those rules. And even they don't go into the whole science fiction mumbo jumbo. I'd be willing to bet more people in real life believe in Magic over Science.

Last panel, what is Belkar talking about in DnD innuendo

I don't quite see the connection between the Rod of Lordly Might and Barbarian/Berserker Will Saves, nor the +4 Con / +10 Strength.

Kazyan
2012-12-15, 06:54 PM
...You know what, just do yourself a favor and ignore me. I'm only going to confuse you more.

Agent 451
2012-12-15, 07:00 PM
I don't quite see the connection between the Rod of Lordly Might and Barbarian/Berserker Will Saves, nor the +4 Con / +10 Strength.

You don't see the connection between sexual inudendo in gaming and having an increased constitution? :smallconfused:

demigodus
2012-12-15, 07:03 PM

Con determines how long you can last at some event. Your strength determines how hard you... poke the pretty lady with your rod of lordly might.

So the Barbarian enters the place, sees the pretty lady, and rages so that he can "hulk smash" her for longer with his rod.

This raging also increases his will saves.

Hence, whenever it matters, barbarians have good will saves.

INoKnowNames
2012-12-15, 07:13 PM
You don't see the connection between sexual inudendo in gaming and having an increased constitution? :smallconfused:

And the light comes on. Makes a barbarian character I'v got planned with Powerful Build / Large Size, 42/70 Strength and 34/40 Constitution (normal/in a rage) slightly amusing.

Con determines how long you can last at some event. Your strength determines how hard you... poke the pretty lady with your rod of lordly might.

So the Barbarian enters the place, sees the pretty lady, and rages so that he can "hulk smash" her for longer with his rod.

Oy.... Didn't think I'd need to GutterMindBlank myself for this thread.

Rubik
2012-12-16, 02:38 AM
And the light comes on. Makes a barbarian character I'v got planned with Powerful Build / Large Size, 42/70 Strength and 34/40 Constitution (normal/in a rage) slightly amusing.

Oy.... Didn't think I'd need to GutterMindBlank myself for this thread.Finding a way to be a stoneblessed gnome using Mountain Rage would be worth it just so you can go to the innkeeper to buy some prophylactics. Order the size that's almost as large as you are and watch eyes bug out all around the tavern.

Morithias
2012-12-16, 07:41 AM
Yeah, but guys. Your ability at sex is a perform check. Sure con will help you last longer, but it's not going to make it higher quality.

Besides she's a vampire, she's going to outlast you either way, no fatigue at all.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-16, 09:41 AM
Oy.... Didn't think I'd need to GutterMindBlank myself for this thread.

Catgirl conversations can only go one of two ways, though GitP normally ends up with physics way. /tg/ on 4chan is equally likely to go either way, after numerous cries of heresy.

INoKnowNames
2012-12-17, 01:57 PM
Finding a way to be a stoneblessed gnome using Mountain Rage would be worth it just so you can go to the innkeeper to buy some prophylactics. Order the size that's almost as large as you are and watch eyes bug out all around the tavern.

I'd be less worried about the Gnome and more worried about the Orc doing the same...

Yeah, but guys. Your ability at sex is a perform check. Sure con will help you last longer, but it's not going to make it higher quality.

That depends on the game; not everyone uses the rules provided by -that- book, at least last time I checked. Besides, warriors have a good chance still. Perform (Weapon Drill) anyone? Oh god, I'm terrible for that.

Besides she's a vampire, she's going to outlast you either way, no fatigue at all.

There are ways to get around fatigue, though. And not everyone has to deal with Succubi and Vampires and other creatures that feed off of such energy; maybe romance blossomed between party members?

Catgirl conversations can only go one of two ways, though GitP normally ends up with physics way. /tg/ on 4chan is equally likely to go either way, after numerous cries of heresy.

Staying on point, look at this. How many Catgirls died because of this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14386462&postcount=21)? Is it just once per instance? Or did he slay at least one per paragraph?

toapat
2012-12-17, 02:03 PM

Honestly? Morithas walked into that joke

Staying on point, look at this. How many Catgirls died because of this post (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=14386462&postcount=21)? Is it just once per instance? Or did he slay at least one per paragraph?

He slew none. Atomic Theory doesnt slay catgirls

He also ignored the fact that in 3.5, fusing atoms would still require damage be delt

INoKnowNames
2012-12-17, 02:17 PM
Honestly? Morithas walked into that joke

Not too many other ways to travel into a Joke...

He slew none. Atomic Theory doesnt slay catgirls

Atomic Theory probably counts as an example of Real Physics.

It has a Gif, it's official! ~should totally be a phrase...

At the very least, it probably killed a few brain cells.

He also ignored the fact that in 3.5, fusing atoms would still require damage be delt

You just killed a Cat Girl! Gosh darn it, stop killing Cat Girls! I should go around helping spread information for the protection of Cat Girls.... like PETA, only actually effective and not bat**** insane.

Rubik
2012-12-17, 02:25 PM
I'd be less worried about the Gnome and more worried about the Orc doing the same...In one campaign I was in, gnomes were well gnown for being excessively generously proportioned, even if the rest of their bodies were changed to Medium size.

demigodus
2012-12-17, 03:14 PM

Lets see:
Paragraph 1: Declaration of liking of prestidigitation. No science here

Paragraph 2 + quote + Paragraph 3: Explaining how RAW works. Still have nothing to do with real life science

List: points 2 and 5 mention existence of atoms. I wouldn't really classify that as science...

Paragraph 4: Declaration of what should happen. Not how or why it should happen, just that an explosion will happen. No science here.

All of the "science" in that post is just implicitly assumed. And also wrong. Note that the gif says "REAL WORLD physics", not "completely wrong physics". Verdict: no catgirls were slain.

You just killed a Cat Girl! Gosh darn it, stop killing Cat Girls! I should go around helping spread information for the protection of Cat Girls.... like PETA, only actually effective and not bat**** insane.

Actually, that was an argument for RAW, not real world physics.

Darius Kane
2012-12-17, 03:21 PM
Not science. Physics. And "atoms" are kinda real world physics. And explosions are definitely "science".

demigodus
2012-12-17, 03:23 PM
Not science. Physics. And "atoms" are kinda real world physics. And explosions are definitely "science".

I would like to believe that our culture is educated enough that mentioning the phrase atoms doesn't automatically make whatever you say into a physics statement.

And explosions are more hollywood then science.

Darius Kane
2012-12-17, 03:36 PM
I would like to believe that our culture is educated enough that mentioning the phrase atoms doesn't automatically make whatever you say into a physics statement.
Umm... what? :smallconfused:

Hyde
2012-12-17, 04:03 PM
Why is this thread still a thing? Go forth! be prosperous! or something.

demigodus
2012-12-17, 04:31 PM
Umm... what? :smallconfused:

Is the statement "I beat up someone with a violin" automatically a musical statement because I mentioned the word violin? I would argue that it is not.

Similarly, just because your sentence contains the word "atom", does not mean it is a statement about physics.

And the word "explosion", definitely occurs outside of discussions about science. Unless you want to claim that ALL Michael Bay movies are 2 hour long science lectures.

Annos
2012-12-17, 04:51 PM
Yes, please. Think of the catgirls. (https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/petition/transfer-funds-drug-war-fund-research-and-development-genetic-engineering-domestic-cat-girls/3V3hnsHx)

(That needs to get enough signatures. If only to hear the official response from the government.)

In the petition it reads "sell these genetic household workers", doesn't that sound like slavery to you? THINK OF THE CATGIRLS!

Morbis Meh
2012-12-17, 04:54 PM
Urge to discuss the works of Erwin Schrodinger in the context of dnd rising (I am not a cat person :smallbiggrin: )!

Darth Stabber
2012-12-17, 04:58 PM

As I stated in that thread, that's not real physics. The amount of force needed to lift 1 lb of material, is a very small amount, since gravity is the weakest fundemental force, splitting atoms requires overcoming the STRONG force, which is pretty much exactly what's written on the tin. The number of atoms you could split with that amount of force is so small as to render impossible the creation of a runaway nuclear reaction, and thus a nuclear blast. Bad physics doesn't kill catgirls, and thus we need to replace it with good physics ASAP.

CIDE
2012-12-17, 05:05 PM
Is the statement "I beat up someone with a violin" automatically a musical statement because I mentioned the word violin? I would argue that it is not.

Similarly, just because your sentence contains the word "atom", does not mean it is a statement about physics.

And the word "explosion", definitely occurs outside of discussions about science. Unless you want to claim that ALL Michael Bay movies are 2 hour long science lectures.

"Atom" could very well refer to a car that I've had my eye on.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-17, 05:12 PM

They aren't? Then why did I pay good money to see the first two transformers abominations? I figured I could at least pick up some knowledge of exothermic hydrocarbon reactions.:smallfrown:

Darius Kane
2012-12-17, 05:30 PM
More like "I played a violin".

Except when you obviously and clearly are talking about that particular type of "atom" and not a car or something else. :smallconfused:

Explosions are made through science. >.> Or magic in a fantasy world, but when "splitting atoms" is involved instead of "spells" then it's clearly science.

Zombimode
2012-12-17, 05:57 PM

Sure, when you understand "longer" as "(3+con mod)*6 seconds"...
And after that, you're fatigued...
So, in any case, activating Rage in a private situation is probably the last thing you want to do.

"Abysmal +2" is far from being "good".

toapat
2012-12-17, 06:21 PM
Explosions are made through science. >.> Or magic in a fantasy world, but when "splitting atoms" is involved instead of "spells" then it's clearly science.

well, except that the Size bonuses to touch AC are so high against atoms that they have total cover, perfect concealment, and can only be hit on a natural 20.

Sure, when you understand "longer" as "(3+con mod)*6 seconds"...
And after that, you're fatigued...
So, in any case, activating Rage in a private situation is probably the last thing you want to do.

"Abysmal +2" is far from being "good".

You can rage in the final round of a rage, and thus go longer.

you also normally have a number of rages, not one

Zombimode
2012-12-17, 06:29 PM
Sure, if you want to ignore rules like:

A barbarian can fly into a rage only once per encounter.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-17, 06:37 PM
Sure, if you want to ignore rules like:

That being said you can frenzy and rage, making both last a really long time, plenty of time to wipe out the threat, your party, and a nearby village.

Gildedragon
2012-12-17, 06:48 PM
People; not all barbarians use their rods of lordly might on ladies.
Besides distinguishing between sexes MAY be considered is a Kn. (local) check, thus one they can't do while raging (being an Int based skill) and among certain races (dwarves and elves come to mind) a task requiring extraordinary concentration.

Not too many other ways to travel into a Joke...
True. And the only one that is reasonable to do. Plane Shift can make it easier to get there but it's as likely you end up in another joke entirely.

EDIT: I think that's how I got here...

INoKnowNames
2012-12-17, 06:51 PM
Gods, what has become of this thread. :smalleek:

Darth Stabber
2012-12-17, 07:02 PM
Besides distinguishing between sexes MAY be considered is a Kn. (local) check, thus one they can't do while raging (being an Int based skill) and among certain races (dwarves and elves come to mind) a task requiring extraordinary concentration.

Where did you think half orcs came from?

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-17, 09:06 PM
Gods, what has become of this thread. :smalleek:

Eh. More or less exactly what you'd expect, given the title. :smalltongue:

INoKnowNames
2012-12-17, 09:45 PM
Eh. More or less exactly what you'd expect, given the title. :smalltongue:

Catgirls = Perverted Jokes and Science vs RAW debates?

demigodus
2012-12-17, 10:27 PM
Except when you obviously and clearly are talking about that particular type of "atom" and not a car or something else. :smallconfused:

That is the type of atom is meant. Anyways, I think wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoscience) does this better. But the gist of this is, there is a phrase for an argument/statement that uses scientific jargon, but is not in fact scientific. It is called pseudoscience.

Pseudoscience is not, by any means actual science. It is completely different from real world physics. Hence, it kills no catgirls.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-18, 02:41 AM
Catgirls = Perverted Jokes and Science vs RAW debates?

Yes. That's been my experience.

Darius Kane
2012-12-18, 02:47 AM
That is the type of atom is meant. Anyways, I think wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pseudoscience) does this better. But the gist of this is, there is a phrase for an argument/statement that uses scientific jargon, but is not in fact scientific. It is called pseudoscience.

Pseudoscience is not, by any means actual science. It is completely different from real world physics. Hence, it kills no catgirls.
Renaming "science" into "pseudo-science" doesn't make it not real world physics.

demigodus
2012-12-18, 03:07 AM
{Scrubbed}

Darius Kane
2012-12-18, 03:18 AM
I don't care if it is science or pseudo-science or science-fiction. It is invoking real world physics in a fantasy game and thus is killing catgirls. I would appreciate it if you could not insult me or put words in my mouth, dude. If you can't see how making explosions through splitting atoms is real world physics then talking with you is pointless. Bye bye.

Morph Bark
2012-12-18, 03:21 AM
if you believe that science and pseudoscience mean the same thing,

Except, y'know, that wasn't what he was saying.

Either way, we can at least assume catgirls to be made up primarily of C/H/N/O atoms, right? Right?

Zombimode
2012-12-18, 07:41 AM
Either way, we can at least assume catgirls to be made up primarily of C/H/N/O atoms, right? Right?

No, at first you would have to prove that all possible (fantasy) worlds that contain catgirls are atomistic.

Talderas
2012-12-18, 08:23 AM

Could one argue that distinguishing between species is an issue... or distinguishing between sentient and non-sentient species is an issue... or distinguishing between a human and a gelatinous cube...?

DigoDragon
2012-12-18, 08:45 AM

LOL, good one. I like your style. :smallbiggrin:

Urge to discuss the works of Erwin Schrodinger in the context of dnd rising (I am not a cat person :smallbiggrin: )!

This actually reminds me of something vaguely related to catgirls.
Classically, it would appear catgirls are thought of as promiscuous, unskilled never-do-wells only useful as decorations (well, maybe that's a bit broad of a description).

In my homebrew D&D setting, I created a "catfolk" race that are very mechanically inclined as tinkerers and builders. They are known for rivaling kobolds in trapmaking (their sworn enemy) and often my players have to deal with their construct contraptions when facing off against a group of catfolk.

Due to their nature of favoring the rogue class and being quite sneaky, my players have this running joke that "Schrodinger's test will never kill a catfolk because they all have evasion."

Talderas
2012-12-18, 08:53 AM
Classically, it would appear catgirls are thought of as promiscuous, unskilled never-do-wells only useful as decorations (well, maybe that's a bit broad of a description).

The only time I've seen humanoid female cats that weren't sexualized or gussied up as pretty birds.... the musical Cats and that was stretching it.

Bulldog Psion
2012-12-18, 08:57 AM

That's pretty awesome, actually. Ghastly, but awesome. :smallbiggrin:

ahenobarbi
2012-12-18, 08:59 AM
I don't care if it is science or pseudo-science or science-fiction. It is invoking real world physics in a fantasy game and thus is killing catgirls.

I think the point is that it's invoking something that doesn't even remotely resemble real world physics. Which is the real cause of cat girls death. If people did use real world physics in games discussion they could live. However usually people write about sad pseudoscience and cat girls die of shame for being half-of-the-same-species.

demigodus
2012-12-18, 12:52 PM
I don't care if it is science or pseudo-science or science-fiction. It is invoking real world physics in a fantasy game and thus is killing catgirls. I would appreciate it if you could not insult me or put words in my mouth, dude. If you can't see how making explosions through splitting atoms is real world physics then talking with you is pointless. Bye bye.

Pseudoscience actually works by NOT using real world physics. That is the main distinguishing trait between science and pseudoscience.

Splitting atoms doesn't always cause explosions. Assuming that splitting or fusing a pair of atoms will always cause a run away nuclear reaction is unscientific, as it violates a number of real world principles.

I honestly can't put this any simpler.

And I was not trying to insult you. I honestly thought you meant that psuedoscience and science are the same thing. Explaining the difference properly is an incredibly long argument. I simply do not have the capability/patience to deliver that argument properly over the internet. I could only give short snippets of it.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-18, 07:06 PM
"Schrodinger's test will never kill a catfolk because they all have evasion."

Evasion won't help against poison gas, which was part of the thought experiment (which was posed satirically schrodinger, but it was bad satire because it very eloquently explained the point he was trying to mock).

Hiro Protagonest
2012-12-18, 07:11 PM
This actually reminds me of something vaguely related to catgirls.

In my homebrew D&D setting, I created a "catfolk" race that are very mechanically inclined as tinkerers and builders. They are known for rivaling kobolds in trapmaking (their sworn enemy) and often my players have to deal with their construct contraptions when facing off against a group of catfolk.

So... gnomes, but with sluttiness in the stereotypical version?

Morph Bark
2012-12-18, 07:12 PM
So... gnomes, but with sluttiness?

I can dig it.

Talderas
2012-12-19, 08:51 AM
I can dig it.

They aren't nicknamed tripods for nothing!