PDA

View Full Version : [?] Setting Sun Throws [?]

Keegan__D
2012-12-13, 07:06 PM
I'm looking for a way to initiate the throw maneuvers at a distance for the purposes of flavor. Is there any way to use these maneuvers without touching the foe?

The only source not allowed is any homebrew.

J-H
2012-12-13, 09:36 PM
The Ocular Spell feat lets you turn touch attacks into rays (ranged touch attacks).

Tokuhara
2012-12-13, 09:42 PM
I'm looking for a way to initiate the throw maneuvers at a distance for the purposes of flavor. Is there any way to use these maneuvers without touching the foe?

The only source not allowed is any homebrew.

From Dragon Magazine Compendium, comes Ring the Golden Bell. It lets you make unarmed strikes at a distance. My guess (IDK offhand. My google-fu is weak) is that if a maneuver is initiated unarmed, it can be performed at a distance with this feat

Keegan__D
2012-12-13, 09:42 PM
The Ocular Spell feat lets you turn touch attacks into rays (ranged touch attacks).

That's for spells

From Dragon Magazine Compendium, comes Ring the Golden Bell. It lets you make unarmed strikes at a distance. My guess (IDK offhand. My google-fu is weak) is that if a maneuver is initiated unarmed, it can be performed at a distance with this feat

From a forum post:
"You may inflict Unarmed Strike damage, plus effects such as Stunning Fist that are inflicted along with your Unarmed Strike, as a Ranged Attack with a maximum range of 5’ + 5’ per Wisdom modifier. Usable (1 + Wisdom modifier) times per day."
I don't know where to read up on unarmed attacks and touch attacks.

Tokuhara
2012-12-13, 09:51 PM
From a forum post:
"You may inflict Unarmed Strike damage, plus effects such as Stunning Fist that are inflicted along with your Unarmed Strike, as a Ranged Attack with a maximum range of 5’ + 5’ per Wisdom modifier. Usable (1 + Wisdom modifier) times per day."
I don't know where to read up on unarmed attacks and touch attacks.

I personally find the idea kind of awesome, especially on an Unarmed Swordsage (aka: DBZ monk) using his maneuvers unarmed and doing them at a distance.

Urpriest
2012-12-13, 09:55 PM
Pretty sure a Bloodstorm Blade can use maneuvers at a distance.

Keegan__D
2012-12-13, 10:10 PM
I personally find the idea kind of awesome, especially on an Unarmed Swordsage (aka: DBZ monk) using his maneuvers unarmed and doing them at a distance.

My goal is force throws. Figured out how to get lightsabers by using a Warlock feat to make the eldritch blast into claws.

They can use Iron Heart maneuvers with thrown weapons.

Tokuhara
2012-12-13, 10:10 PM

They can. Mine is just the underhanded way of doing Sublime Way

Spuddles
2012-12-13, 11:45 PM
Couldn't a kensai monk/warforged bloodstorm blade throw his fists and initiate maneuvers through them?

nedz
2012-12-14, 12:06 AM
My goal is force throws. Figured out how to get lightsabers by using a Warlock feat to make the eldritch blast into claws.

Eldritch Glaive is more lightsabre shaped, and has 10' reach.

Keegan__D
2012-12-14, 01:40 AM
Couldn't a kensai monk/warforged bloodstorm blade throw his fists and initiate maneuvers through them?

Why Kensai?

Eldritch Glaive is more lightsabre shaped, and has 10' reach.

Tiger claw and two weapons are more fitting to the character.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-14, 02:24 AM
Why Kensai?

Because you can designate your unarmed strike as your signature weapon and give it the throwing enhancement. (the necessity of the returning enhancement varies by GM.)

Combined with at least 2 levels in Bloodstorm Blade, this allows you to make unarmed melee attacks out to 10ft at no penalty and up to 50ft if you're willing to eat the penalties for range increments. It can even reach further still if you're willing to sink some resources into improving your unarmed strike's range increment.

Frosty
2012-12-14, 03:17 AM

HADOUKEN!!!

INoKnowNames
2012-12-14, 03:34 AM
HADOUKEN!!!

I -KNOW- we've been over this already. That wouldn't be Hadoken, it'd be Rocket Punch. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPI6tBQz93k)

animewatcha
2012-12-14, 05:01 AM
Wand of blood wind? I am looking through dragon magazine and oriental adventure for martial arts style or feat that allowed for full-round action for one attack at range. I might be remembering it wrong.

Tokuhara
2012-12-14, 08:46 AM
I -KNOW- we've been over this already. That wouldn't be Hadoken, it'd be Rocket Punch. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPI6tBQz93k)

No. More like Ruin Unflinching (http://m.youtube.com/?reload=7&rdm=0113#/watch?v=QXDBDh2UdyU)

Lapak
2012-12-14, 09:29 AM
I -KNOW- we've been over this already. That wouldn't be Hadoken, it'd be Rocket Punch. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPI6tBQz93k)I was thinking 'right environment, wrong character' myself. I imagine Throwing Unarmed Strike Kensai as Dhalsim.

Person_Man
2012-12-14, 10:05 AM
Knockback feat gives you a free Bull Rush with any Power Attack.

Scorpion's Grasp feat and various Improved Grab abilities gives you a free Grapple with any attack.

There are various ways listed above to make melee attacks into ranged attacks.

Zubrowka74
2012-12-14, 10:26 AM
Ring of the Ram (www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Ring_of_the_Ram), with a slight cosmectic refluff, would give you the visual of the jedi force throw.

Urpriest
2012-12-14, 11:33 AM
Thinking about it, what's wrong with using Telekinesis for this? It's pretty much tailor-made for this sort of thing.

nedz
2012-12-14, 12:02 PM
Telekinesis is an excellent spell, but its 5th level and I think the OPs going for a melee build. At least, this is why I didn't suggest it earlier.

Azoth
2012-12-14, 12:38 PM
You can get a use activated ring of telekinesis for pretty cheap. I ripped its price and put it on a gauntlet for a Nero style build a ways back. Loads of fun and cheap.

StreamOfTheSky
2012-12-16, 01:14 PM
You can use the SS throws with any tripping weapon, from what I understand, so a whip from 15 ft away I've seen done.

But you want even further away... A Bloodstorm Blade can make melee attacks from range as a swift action, which would definitely allow one with a tripping weapon to trip a foe from range, so RAW that might work, though it'd look pretty silly and DM might now allow it.

You said telekinesis comes too late. What about being a psion? They have telekinesis broken up into more specific lower level powers. You would probably want TK Maneuver (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/telekineticManeuver.htm) or possibly also TK Thrust (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/telekineticThrust.htm).
(Side comment on 2nd power: Augmenting to increase weight limit, by the same amount casters get theirs increased for free w/ level....ugh....)

Piggy Knowles
2012-12-16, 01:59 PM
Knockback feat gives you a free Bull Rush with any Power Attack.

Hmm... I know this isn't the 100% optimal use of either Knockback or Hulking Hurler, but is there any reason why a Goliath Hulking Hurler with the Ranged Power Attack hurl trick couldn't use Knockback?

DeltaEmil
2012-12-16, 02:08 PM
A goliath hulking hurler with ranged power attack can use knockback on the target, if the target is within 30 feet of the hulking hurler.