PDA

View Full Version : Spontaneous Cleric Variant - Healing Domain

Titan71
2012-12-13, 07:53 PM
Hey guys, I was curious about the rules about gaining the healing domain for a spontaneous caster.

As a spontaneous cleric variant I have limited spells known, but the variant says I automatically know all my domain spells in addition to the amount given by the table. This means that to cast cure/heal spells, I have to either take the healing domain (which gives most of them too me), or use precious spells known slots to learn them individually.

My question is, if I didn't take the healing domain as one of my two domains at first level, and chose cure spells for my spells known, what happens if I gain the healing domain later (from say, Radiant Servant of Pelor lvl 5)?

According to the variant, I would learn every spell from the healing domain, but if I already know some of those spells, what do I get instead? Do I get to re-choose those spells known since I now get them from the healing domain? Or would I just not gain anything? Thanks.

eggs
2012-12-13, 08:31 PM
There's nothing indicating that you'd learn any new spells in place of the ones you already know, but PHB2's retraining mechanics would let you swap the old Cures out for something new at the same level that you pick up Healing Domain.

Or you could use the Substitute Domain spell from Complete Champion to turn the new domain into something with spells that have less overlap with the ones you already know.

Titan71
2012-12-13, 09:13 PM
Thanks a lot. The re-training option is super viable for re-reselecting those spells.