PDA

View Full Version : PC Vampire Spawns spawning?

Red_Death01
2012-12-13, 09:23 PM
In my group I have a PC that has the vampire spawn template (lvl8), while they have the blood drain ability they don't have the 'create spawn' ability. So is it possible for them to create spawn from people they drain the blood from? If not- is there a feat that allows them to do this? It just seems odd to me in the first place that they could do this- creating nigh infinite spawn by commanding their spawn to do....

Urpriest
2012-12-13, 09:25 PM
In my group I have a PC that has the vampire spawn template (lvl8), while they have the blood drain ability they don't have the 'create spawn' ability. So is it possible for them to create spawn from people they drain the blood from? If not- is there a feat that allows them to do this? It just seems odd to me in the first place that they could do this- creating nigh infinite spawn by commanding their spawn to do....

Vampire Spawn isn't a template.

Grinner
2012-12-13, 09:28 PM
There's a huge divide in power between vampires and vampire spawn.

Vampire Spawn get a few interesting abilities, but I've never seen a rule that allows them to upgrade to full-fledged Vampires, who are the only ones that can create other vampires.

Also, where are you getting this template from? I don't remember seeing it in the Monster Manual.

Red_Death01
2012-12-13, 09:30 PM
There's a huge divide in power between vampires and vampire spawn.

Vampire Spawn get a few interesting abilities, but I've never seen a rule that allows them to upgrade to full-fledged Vampires, who are the only ones that can create other vampires.

Also, where are you getting this template from? I don't remember seeing it in the Monster Manual.

Libiris Mortis pg39

Grinner
2012-12-13, 09:35 PM
Libiris Mortis pg39

That's a racial class...

Anywho, the character still cannot spawn vampires. :smallsmile:

HunterOfJello
2012-12-13, 09:36 PM
Libiris Mortis pg39

That's not a template. That's a racial class progression.

Red_Death01
2012-12-13, 09:37 PM
That's a racial class...

Anywho, the character still cannot spawn vampires. :smallsmile:

Ah- Racial class poor wording then.... though is there a ruling on this or is it simply because they don't get the racial ability "create spawn"?

Urpriest
2012-12-13, 09:41 PM
Ah- Racial class poor wording then.... though is there a ruling on this or is it simply because they don't get the racial ability "create spawn"?

Vampire Spawn, both ruleswise and fluffwise, cannot create new vampires. It's the main distinction between them and true Vampires, and is basically the reason why they exist as separate creatures in the first place.

Grinner
2012-12-13, 09:42 PM

The latter, unfortunately.

I get the impression that vampires were really intended to be enemies. That racial class merely exists to satisfy a requirement for vampire PCs while avoiding the game-breaking abilities of Vampires.