PDA

View Full Version : New Computer: What Anti-Virus/other security software should I get

Tavar
2012-12-14, 03:04 PM
Pretty much what the title says. I have a new computer that runs Windows 7(this post is being made from my old laptop. I have yet to connect the new computer to the Internet, for obvious reasons). So, any suggestions for what software to get/avoid?

Jarian
2012-12-14, 03:08 PM
I prefer Webroot if you want a paid service, or Avast! if you want free. Both have reliably kept my work and personal computer clean. AVG has some merits as well, but I think it's a bit overrated as far as antivirus goes.

Grinner
2012-12-14, 04:01 PM
AVG is okay, but I've found that the free version of Malwarebytes has a much higher detection rate. That said, I can't vouch for its active protection, which is available in the paid version.

lesser_minion
2012-12-14, 04:58 PM
Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast! both do very well in independent tests, and they're both free. You might also want to install Malwarebytes' anti-malware in addition to that (MBAM is meant to complement other anti-virus software, not replace it); and I'd recommend picking up Secunia PSI (a utility for keeping your software up to date, basically) as well.

While it isn't security software, I'd also suggest taking a look at ninite (http://ninite.com/). It's free to use and if you're setting up a new computer, it will probably save you some time.

Destro_Yersul
2012-12-15, 12:15 AM
Yeah, Avast! and MalwareBytes are both free, and good choices.

Astral Avenger
2012-12-15, 12:38 AM
I've been using AVG with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware also installed (used for the occasional scan), and the combination works quite nicely.

I never heard of Avast! before, what makes people recommend it over AVG?

Amridell
2012-12-15, 12:41 AM
I use Microsoft security essentials and malwarbytes. And that's it.

For other stuff, get steam and Skype and Google Chrome.

Grinner
2012-12-15, 07:16 AM
I never heard of Avast! before, what makes people recommend it over AVG?

Nice interface. Very good real-time protection. The scans take forever though, thus the Malwarebytes recommendation.