PDA

View Full Version : Claustrophobia ..

The_Ditto
2012-12-14, 03:56 PM
Ok, so everyone knows that Claustrophobia is the fear of enclosed spaces (or whatever - not going to argue the details of that).

So, what if you have a fear of acquiring Claustrophobia? What's that called? :smallbiggrin:

Sipex
2012-12-14, 04:10 PM
I believe that would be lumped in with Phobophobia, the phobia of developing a phobia.

Castaras
2012-12-14, 04:11 PM
A list of phobias (http://phobialist.com/).

If you want to find one. :smallsmile:

Zar Peter
2012-12-14, 04:18 PM
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

I like this one especially :smallbiggrin:

It's a mean word for a very serious disease :smalltongue:

(It's the fear of long words)

Thajocoth
2012-12-14, 04:45 PM
Hippopotomonstrosesquipedaliophobia

I like this one especially :smallbiggrin:

It's a mean word for a very serious disease :smalltongue:

(It's the fear of long words)

Lisp, dyslexia... They seem to do this sort of thing on purpose.

LaZodiac
2012-12-14, 05:21 PM
Words must be self demonstrating.

hamishspence
2012-12-15, 09:17 AM
Ok, so everyone knows that Claustrophobia is the fear of enclosed spaces (or whatever - not going to argue the details of that).

Not Fear of Santa? :smallbiggrin:

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-15, 02:36 PM
Not Fear of Santa? :smallbiggrin:

That would be Clausophobia. It's a common mistake to make. :smallwink::smallbiggrin:

GnomeFighter
2012-12-18, 05:52 AM
Lisp, dyslexia... They seem to do this sort of thing on purpose.

People say that, but the only problem with the word dyslexia is the y. Is it dIs-lex-i-a or dYs-lex-i-a. Its quite a phonetic word.

Also, I don't realy undersand how a fear of getting a phobia works? Are you fine with small spaces, but have a panic attack when you think about getting the phobia?

I'm not sure you can have a phobia of a concept.

Castaras
2012-12-18, 05:57 AM
Although it's not a phobia I have, I have something that is vaguely similar to "fear of a phobia". I faint when it comes to things that terrify me relating to my medical stuff - and nowadays I'm more terrified of the fainting bit and being terrified by the medical stuff than the medical stuff itself. It's more the symptoms of me being scared that I'm scared of rather than the fear itself, but it's similar. :smallsmile:

GnomeFighter
2012-12-18, 09:44 AM
That makes sense, but I guess that is all just part of the overall phobia. Like fear of flying. Allot of people I know with a fear flying but they say once they are on the plane they are fine. They get worked up over it until they realise that it is actualy nothing to worry about.

Or you now have a phobia of fainting... :)

Castaras
2012-12-18, 10:13 AM
not a phobia. A phobia would mean that you're unable to go up to the top of a tower without being in tears / terror / unable to do anything. If your fear immobilises you then that's more of a phobia. Doesn't do that for me. So I just have normal fears, not phobias. :smallsmile:

another example: If a person goes "EEEK a spider" then runs to the other side of the room, that's not necessarily a phobia. If someone nearly faints because someone shows them a googly eyed toy spider, that's a phobia.