PDA

View Full Version : Relics and UMD

Sudain
2012-12-14, 04:07 PM
In the MIC there are several 'relic' type items listed. Would a sufficient UMD check emulate the divine connection needed for the objects powers?

If so, what UMD check would be needed?

Ravens_cry
2012-12-14, 04:15 PM
Emulate a class feature, maybe?
In all honesty, unless there is an expanded use for UMD, I am not 100% sure you can just UMD it.

Sudain
2012-12-14, 04:29 PM
Yea I don't think* I can but I've been proven wrong(oh so wrong) before; so I thought I'd ask.

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-14, 04:30 PM
Short answer: No.

Long answer:
There is in fact a very limited list of things you can do with UMD. The Emulate Class Feature option may seem appropriate, but if you read the rule it says your UMD check result minus 20 equals your effective level in the emulated class. So with a UMD check of 25 for instance, you could bypass the requirement to have the Wild shape ability by emulating a Druid. You wouldn't actually have the ability to use, just be able to convince the item that you did.

Relics all have three requirements. The first is to use the lesser power, then there are two alternate requirements to unlock the greater power.

The lesser power is grated based on alignment, and a UMD check of 30 or more will accompish this.

The greater power requires either a divine caster devoted to the deity sacrificing a spell slot of the appropriate level, or having the True believe feat and a high enough character level. The Emulate Class Feature option would allow you to convince the relic that you have a spell slot of the appropriate level, but you still wouldn't actually have the slot so you couldn't sacrifice it. It's also important to note that you can emulate alignment, but not worship of a specific deity. So even if you have a divine slot to spend, you are still denied. Furthermore, there is no UMD check to emulate a feat - so True Believer is out too.

absolmorph
2012-12-14, 04:32 PM
There's no way within RAW, but it's not an unreasonable extension of the skill.
Ask your DM if they'd be willing to allow it. I'd say DC 25 would be fairly reasonable.

So... RAW says no, but your DM might be willing to houserule it.

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-14, 04:47 PM
I'd say DC 25 would be fairly reasonable.

Okay, even if you do house-rule it, a DC 25 is NOT a reasonable UMD for this. (No offense intended absolmorph, but DC 25 is pretty low for a UMD check of any kind.)

First, just doing the alignment is a UMD check of 30.

Then, to do a UMD check to emulate a cleric of high enough level to have the slot would be Cleric's Level + 20 - so a 5th level slot for instance would be a DC 29.

The rules for emulating a class feature state that if there is also an alignment component that you don't meet you have to emulate that with a second check.

If I were to house rule this I would use these requirements:

Alignment component: If you are the appropriate alignment, not necessary. If not, DC = 30.
Deity Worship component: If you worship the appropriate deity, not necessary. If not, DC = 35
Spell Slot requirement: If you have a divine slot of the appropriate level to sacrifice, not necessary (as long as you made the above checks already). If you sacrifice an arcane slot of the equivalent level instead, DC = Cleric's Level + 20. If you have no equivalent slot to spend, DC = Cleric's Level + 25.

This would require up to 3 separate UMD checks if you are not able to meet any of the requirements. All of the DCs should be pretty much in line with the DCs of checks already allowed by the rules.

Mithril Leaf
2012-12-14, 07:13 PM
If you allow Dragon Magazine, you can emulate a specific individual for DC 40.
Also, google the actual name of your thread before posting it (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=132896). :smallbiggrin: