PDA

View Full Version : Cunning coup de gra

AsheItachi
2012-12-14, 04:20 PM
IF anyone has seen the walking dead where rick kills shane im trying to think of a way to allow this kinda RP kill move if i or another player gets the chance.

I know it will be a roll to bluff to talk then a sneak attack kind of thing.

How would it be rolled?

ie i use my bluff before combat to endure someone im not an enemy.
while talking i lets say i have the feat for quick draw and ready a death attack.

I am thinking if bluff is rolled
then its just an attack roll to flatfooted enemy
should i give them an AoO ?

This is something i want anyone to be able to do , no this cant kill the big bad guy but it can be a pre emptive thing.

Any other DMs out there , how would u roll it?

Boci
2012-12-14, 04:25 PM
I haven't seen an episode of the Walking Dead, but I'm guessing it has relativly normal people so a suprise attack = coup de grace works there. In D&D, less so. You are free to have someone convince someone else that they are a friend and then attack them, and this would catch them flatfooted. But handling it as a coup de grace is iffy at best. Some classes, like the assassin, would however offer such an attack option.

AsheItachi
2012-12-14, 04:29 PM
I haven't seen an episode of the Walking Dead, but I'm guessing it has relativly normal people so a suprise attack = coup de grace works there. In D&D, less so. You are free to have someone convince someone else that they are a friend and then attack them, and this would catch them flatfooted. But handling it as a coup de grace is iffy at best. Some classes, like the assassin, would however offer such an attack option.

Yeah its not something i would say to be used alot , more of a roleplay scenario.

I know i could house rule anything i want , but i would like some basis to go by.

Like i know a fighter versed in combat would have a better shot than say a wizard doing this.

Alls it is is pulling say a dagger out real quick and driving it into there chest or neck.

Now in ADnD that would be a called shot .... but 3.5 got rid of that for good reasons.

I was thinking adding a modifier to the victims AC

like a +7 for it cause of the difficulty

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-14, 04:33 PM
It's really a HP thing in D&D. You go and sneak attack an ordinary human for 4d6 damage, yeah he's pretty dead. A PC or high-level NPC probably has more HP because he's not going to go down that easily. So you want to do this, you give them a low-level mook to try it on.

Duke of Urrel
2012-12-14, 04:49 PM
The coup de grāce works not because of the attacker's stealth; it works because of the victim's helplessness. If your enemy is not helpless, you must use a sneak attack or death attack of some kind.

Pardon my nit-picking, but we should take care to pronounce the final 'c' in "coup de grāce" as an 's' and not to leave it out of our writing. It's not like "Mardi Gras," which has a silent 's' and is pronounced "MAR dee grAH." Say "KOO da grAHss."

The term "coup de grāce" originally referred to an act of mercy, to put a mortally wounded soldier out of his misery. It is only in a game like D&D, in which live-saving medicine is commonplace and pain is inconsequential, that the "coup de grāce" becomes a purely tactical and not very kindly act.

MasterFu
2012-12-14, 05:03 PM
This feat seems kind of similar to what you're describing:

http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/general-feats/betrayer (Betrayer)

In terms of game mechanics, an instant death attack on a target that isn't stunned, cowering, or otherwise unable to defend itself probably isn't in the cards without a class ability. Although with a feat like this and enough sneak attack damage, you might force a fort save vs massive damage.

Khantin
2012-12-14, 08:48 PM
Haven't seen this season of the walking dead... Guess I don't need to anymore.

NoobForHire
2012-12-15, 12:32 AM
IF anyone has seen the walking dead where rick kills shane

Holy spoilers, Batman.

AsheItachi
2012-12-15, 12:40 AM
Haven't seen this season of the walking dead... Guess I don't need to anymore.

that was last season , but u are right , my bad ....... also while im at it i might as well say it , in the sixth sense bruce willis' character is dead the whole time