PDA

View Full Version : The Secret World no longer requires a subscription.

Ogremindes
2012-12-14, 07:36 PM
If you're like me and were intrigued buy The Secret World at launch but were but off by the traditional subscription model, good news! The game, while not free, no longer requires a sub.

I picked it up on Steam a couple of days ago. Anyone else playing it, or going to play it? I'm pretty impressed with it so far.

Eldan
2012-12-14, 08:53 PM
I might. How much does it cost?

Sholos
2012-12-14, 08:57 PM
What has impressed you about it? Sell me.

Kesnit
2012-12-14, 09:19 PM
I played the beta and loved it, but didn't pick it up at launch because of the subscription. I'm considering getting it now, since the purchase price is down (30 USD) and there is no sub. I just worry about what I would miss without the sub, since I can't figure out what I would not get.

Ogremindes
2012-12-14, 09:26 PM
I might. How much does it cost?
$30

What has impressed you about it? Sell me.
So far: It's pretty, the setting is cool (modern, lovecrafty stuff, Illuminati etc.) and a there's variety of things to do in the missions, including straight combat, stealth and riddles, and they're all supported in the game, unlike most MMOs where anything outside core combat feels really janky.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-12-14, 10:08 PM
This is great news! I miss being a shotgun-toting kung-fu wizard badass.

I gave the trial a spin a month back and had a ton of fun. The game is great. Very good atmosphere, action-y combat and a very free-form level system. The setting's modern-day mishmash of horror, urban fantasy and conspiracy nuttery works very well, and it has some really nice writing and voice acting backing it up.

Science Officer
2012-12-14, 11:22 PM
I'm interested. Might pick it up if it goes on sale. I've heard good things about the puzzles and the setting is very appealing.

Ogremindes
2012-12-18, 09:10 PM
So, it turns out that in Kingsmouth, where half the places are prefixed "King's", the clue "the seat of power" doesn't refer to any of that.

JabberwockySupafly
2012-12-19, 12:04 AM
I played the beta and loved it, but didn't pick it up at launch because of the subscription. I'm considering getting it now, since the purchase price is down (30 USD) and there is no sub. I just worry about what I would miss without the sub, since I can't figure out what I would not get.

This is exactly what's prevent me and a friend from getting it as well. As long as you're not severely limited without the subscription (as many games that go F2P or No Sub tend to do) we'd pick it up in a heartbeat. Loved the Beta, and the setting couldn't be more up my alley if they tried, but the not knowing what you do and don't get without a subsciption makes me quite leery.

EDIT:

From what I can tell, it looks like non-subscibers don't lose any content, but subscribers get a lot of perks. Found the below list on Kotaku:

For those who want to get the most out of their Secret World experience we have an optional Membership available. Being a monthly subscriber, for the same cost as before, now gives great benefits. For being a member you get the following:

• Time Accelerator (Clickable item which increases experience gain for defeating monsters by 100% for 1 hour, 16 hour cool-down — only usable by Members and Grand Masters)

• $US10 worth of Bonus Points (given out every month)

• Item-of-the-month gift (given out every month)

• 10% discount to everything in the in-game store

The Grandmaster pack includes all these benefits and gets an additional 10% discount to everything in the in-game store, for a total bonus of 20%. So being a Grandmaster is better than ever!

Through the month of December we have a special offer where we give 30% off on the first purchase on the 3, 6 and 12 month Membership plans.

If I can confirm that this is the case (nosubs get full access, subs get the above perks), I have my Solstice Present all picked out for a friend of mine (and myself!)

EDIT MK II:

Their Official FAQ says non-subscribers get access to all available content. (http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=62789) You just have to purchase bonus content later on. That seems... acceptable.

Well, I'm about to be $60 poorer soon...

Ogremindes
2012-12-19, 11:21 PM
I have to say, I hope investigation missions get better, because I just did Digging Deeper and it was friggin' awful. Seriously, we learned 'guess the verb' was bad game design before computer games had graphics.

NeoVid
2012-12-20, 02:23 AM
The investigation missions vary a huge amount. The only one that was so hard I never want to repeat it were the demonic runes in Hell and Bach, but the one in Egypt where you have to translate Hebrew before the zombies close in on you was pretty memorable.

SlyGuyMcFly
2012-12-22, 02:58 PM
Steam sale has this at 22 euros. Friggin' sweet! Looks like shotgun wizard Impact Jackson is back in action. :smallcool:

I have to say, I hope investigation missions get better, because I just did Digging Deeper and it was friggin' awful. Seriously, we learned 'guess the verb' was bad game design before computer games had graphics.

Digging Deeper wasn't awful for me, but I've had a fair few that where. Dead Air comes to mind. :smallannoyed: *grumble* Morse code *grumble* :smallannoyed: There's all sorts.

Pronounceable
2012-12-24, 10:13 AM
From what I gather, Secret World is a single player old school adventure game with combat bits in urban fantasy flavor that has some incidental multiplayer parts. Obviously monthly paying sounds very bad but for a single purchase it's awsomness incarnate.