PDA

View Full Version : Level Adjustment and Feats

Cranthis
2012-12-15, 02:36 PM
So, lets say I'm playing a Drow Rogue, and the game starts at level 1. I have one level of rogue, plus level adjustment, bringing me to ECL: 3. Do I get that 3rd level feat?

Amnestic
2012-12-15, 02:41 PM
So, lets say I'm playing a Drow Rogue, and the game starts at level 1. I have one level of rogue, plus level adjustment, bringing me to ECL: 3. Do I get that 3rd level feat?

No. Characters acquire feats based on HD rather than ECL, as I understand it.

So you would get your 3rd level feat at 3HD, or ECL 5.

Jeraa
2012-12-15, 02:43 PM
No. Feats and skill points are actually based on number of hit dice, not levels, despite what the book implies. True, for most characters they are equal, but not all.

docnessuno
2012-12-15, 03:00 PM
You are a level 1 character for each and every thing.
You count as a level 3 character only for adjucating XP gained and XP needed to gain a level.

Amnestic
2012-12-15, 03:01 PM
You are a level 1 character for each and every thing.
You count as a level 3 character only for adjucating XP gained and XP needed to gain a level.

Well, you also count as a level 3 character for the sort of challenges you should be facing and the sort of people you should be hanging out with, no?

Cranthis
2012-12-15, 03:01 PM
Ok, thanks for clearing that up everyone.

TuggyNE
2012-12-15, 06:25 PM
Well, you also count as a level 3 character for the sort of challenges you should be facing and the sort of people you should be hanging out with, no?

And your gear budget.

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-15, 06:45 PM
FYI, you shouldn't even be playing an ECL 3 character in a Level 1 party.

Flickerdart
2012-12-15, 06:58 PM
To be fair, Drow kind of suck for their LA - a Drow in a level 1 party is going to be a lot less unbalanced than a Drow in a level 3 party.

Cranthis
2012-12-15, 07:02 PM
FYI, you shouldn't even be playing an ECL 3 character in a Level 1 party.

This was a hypothetical question, used to explain something, which has been resolved.

Amnestic
2012-12-15, 07:23 PM
To be fair, Drow kind of suck for their LA - a Drow in a level 1 party is going to be a lot less unbalanced than a Drow in a level 3 party.

Isn't that often the way with Level Adjustment though?

Flickerdart
2012-12-15, 10:36 PM
Isn't that often the way with Level Adjustment though?
Most of the time, yes. But letting a Phrenic Creature or Half-Fey (both are +2 templates) get their LA for free would actually be a pretty big deal, and getting something with more LA have it for free will almost certainly be unbalanced. The things Drow get (a couple more stat points without losing the CON hit, crappy SLAs, SR) don't really put them very high above LA0 races.

KillianHawkeye
2012-12-15, 11:15 PM
This was a hypothetical question, used to explain something, which has been resolved.

Sorry, let me rephrase that.

Hypothetically speaking, you shouldn't even be playing an ECL 3 character in a Level 1 party. You should play it with other ECL 3 characters.

Better? :smallbiggrin: