PDA

View Full Version : Naming my weapons

Blackhawk748
2012-12-15, 08:11 PM
im a rogue/swashbuckler wielding a shortsword and rapier which both have Keen and 3 Psychikinetics (i can stack similar extra damage effects by DM permission) and these need to be named, and i need some help

BowStreetRunner
2012-12-15, 08:50 PM
You should name one Charlie (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087262/).

Stront
2012-12-15, 08:52 PM
My wizard wields a +1 greatsword of vicious x 2 (per DM permission). I call her, "Widowmaker".

Piggy Knowles
2012-12-15, 08:56 PM
I play a spear-wielding goliath with a weapon named Spiro Agnew. It was my father's ancestral weapon, so I knew it needed a name, but I couldn't think of one before the first session and jotted down "Spiro Agnew" as a place filler. Some of the other players saw the character sheet, and.... now I can never change it...

Hat-Trick
2012-12-15, 09:02 PM
Aneurism perhaps? Mind Spike? Thought Piercer? Psycho-Stabs? Psypoint?

Deophaun
2012-12-15, 09:03 PM
Name one Errol and the other Flynn.

Averis Vol
2012-12-15, 09:34 PM
Do they have any special purpose for why they were forged? Like my Killoren Forest reeve wields a dragonbone falchion named vahvuus metsän or might of the forest. for a blade with those properties I could suggest Wits end, or mind shard or cranial damnation..... I cant think of any more brain related names.

headwarpage
2012-12-15, 09:38 PM
Love/Hate is a classic, and you can get the knuckle tattoos to match. Lady & Luck? Gin & Tonic? Whether you go serious or silly, go for cleverness and style points rather than trying to come up with something that sounds badass or epic.

Wyntonian
2012-12-15, 09:42 PM
Keen Wit and Sharp Tongue?

Slipperychicken
2012-12-15, 10:03 PM
[Noun]-[Verb]er will always hold true, so that can work. Especially if there's a badass deed you already did with the weapon.

Peace & Diplomacy. Handy for avoiding Bluff checks and scoring Surprise rounds.

[Winking to PCs] "I've got it, I'll use Diplomacy!" [surprise round begins]

[To NPCs] "Come on, give Peace a chance..."

White_Drake
2012-12-15, 10:56 PM
Steve. Filler

The Redwolf
2012-12-15, 11:18 PM
Steve. Filler

No, that's the aboleth.

White_Drake
2012-12-15, 11:20 PM
A worthy namesake if ever there was one. Did he ever get to retire?

TuggyNE
2012-12-16, 12:10 AM
My advice: "Stab" and "Stabbity". :smalltongue:

The Redwolf
2012-12-16, 12:32 AM
A worthy namesake if ever there was one. Did he ever get to retire?

Not yet, but what did happen is pretty interesting.

Feralventas
2012-12-16, 02:09 AM
The Short Sword: Ad Hominem and the Rapier, Straw Man.

Kelb_Panthera
2012-12-16, 07:11 AM
Since I've been watching so much of the show lately,

Frasier and Niles.

rockdeworld
2012-12-16, 07:52 AM
+1 for Ad Hominim and Straw Man :smallsmile:

Thunder and Lightning for funniness (moreso if you stack electricity and sonic damage effects on them)
Joy and Sorrow, in case you've read Across the Wall
Pain and Suffering is a classic

For single names (in case you want to pair them), I like to borrow from poems and Final Fantasy, eg (off the top of my head):
Caladbolg
Zweihander
Masamune
Murasame
Durandal

Some famous fictional swords (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_swords):
Hrunting
Hauteclere
Heavenly Sword
Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi
Vajra

Some famous real swords (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_historical_swords):
Legbiter
Joyeuse
Sword of Mercy
Tizona
Hanjo Masamune
Empress Jito
Zulfiqar

mattie_p
2012-12-16, 09:40 AM
Stormwind and Fallacy. Maybe too metagame-y?

Cranthis
2012-12-16, 09:41 AM
Name it "The Johnson"

Darth Stabber
2012-12-16, 09:49 AM
Had a spiked chain for my last tripper named "Newton's little helper".

Ultimately if you are dual wielding, you probably want to name them after some phrase of 'X & Y'.

Crime&punishment
sense & sensibility
pain & panic
poke & prod
point & digression
spite & malice
mork & mindy
ect & ect

hamishspence
2012-12-16, 10:05 AM
I've seen "Snik" and "Snak" at least once in fiction.

Cranthis
2012-12-16, 10:06 AM
Had a spiked chain for my last tripper named "Newton's little helper".

Ultimately if you are dual wielding, you probably want to name them after some phrase of 'X & Y'.

Crime&punishment
sense & sensibility
pain & panic
poke & prod
point & digression
spite & malice
mork & mindy
ect & ect

Thri-kreen with multi-weapon fighting, naming the weapons after the horsemen.
Death, War, Pestilence, and Etc.

CoffeeIncluded
2012-12-16, 10:08 AM
How about "Pointy" and "Stabby"? :smalltongue:

Tokuhara
2012-12-16, 10:22 AM
Shortsword:

For a weapon like this (keen and fire damage) Firebrand is a definitely cool name. Bonus points if the flat of the blade has a brand on it (maybe you place the flat on the corpses of yourr enemies to mark them as your kills.

Rapier:

Using Dutch, Brandende Rand (Burning Edge) is simple, and yet conveys so much through the two words.

Ryu_Bonkosi
2012-12-16, 10:52 AM
[Noun]-[Verb]er will always hold true, so that can work. Especially if there's a badass deed you already did with the weapon.

Peace & Diplomacy. Handy for avoiding Bluff checks and scoring Surprise rounds.

[Winking to PCs] "I've got it, I'll use Diplomacy!" [surprise round begins]

[To NPCs] "Come on, give Peace a chance..."

I second this. It's the little things like being able to deliver a witty line every now and again that makes a character truly memorable.

Blackhawk748
2012-12-16, 11:02 AM
My group got a kick out of Peace and Diplomacy, right now im using Rose (for the rapier) and Thorn (for the shortsword) Its the characters last name, and since she tells anyone who asks that she is an orphan, she either is named after the swords or she named them after her. Keep thinking of names though, because if you guys think of a better one ill use it.

Sugashane
2012-12-16, 11:17 AM
Name the shortsword Pierce and the rapier Slash. Yes I know they actually do as the other's name does.

This is a Bond and a Guns N' Roses reference though.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-16, 03:14 PM
"I call her Vera." ;)

Beater and Biter anyone?

Seriously.
Mindreaper, brainfever, mindslicer?

KitTheOdd
2012-12-16, 04:03 PM
For the Christmas season, go Santa:

Naughty & Nice

White_Drake
2012-12-16, 08:23 PM
Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum?

Daftendirekt
2012-12-16, 08:30 PM
Name the shortsword Pierce and the rapier Slash. Yes I know they actually do as the other's name does.

This is a Bond and a Guns N' Roses reference though.

Both do piercing damage. Which is silly. All swords should have the option to do piercing OR slashing (like daggers). Well, except the rapier, because seriously, look at the blade. If anything was made for stabbing, it was a rapier.

White_Drake
2012-12-16, 08:41 PM
Depending on the design rapiers might have nominal slashing ability. Really, the biggest stabbity weapon I can think of is a stiletto. I like stilettos.

Sugashane
2012-12-17, 06:27 PM
Both do piercing damage. Which is silly. All swords should have the option to do piercing OR slashing (like daggers). Well, except the rapier, because seriously, look at the blade. If anything was made for stabbing, it was a rapier.

You are correct sir. I forgot the shortsword was under light weapons, under the one handed the longsword and scimitar are listed as slashing. It should be either, as you said.

Techwarrior
2012-12-17, 07:09 PM
Yea... No. Wizards may have gotten a lot wrong, but you can't effectively stab someone with a longsword, or slash someone with a shortsword. A rapier is specifically a piercing weapon in its design specs; the slashing equivalents are saber and foil depending on length of the blade.

I forge weapons for a living, and fence on the side.

On topic, call one of them Tinkledeath.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-17, 07:42 PM
Yea... No. Wizards may have gotten a lot wrong, but you can't effectively stab someone with a longsword, or slash someone with a shortsword. A rapier is specifically a piercing weapon in its design specs; the slashing equivalents are saber and foil depending on length of the blade.

I forge weapons for a living, and fence on the side.

On topic, call one of them Tinkledeath.

Might've been thinking of a slash resulting from drawing the tip along someones skin.
And you can stab with longswords (arming swords, whatever name you want), just not usually with the full fencing lunge. Some of the fecht-buchts, the ones with grappling, they have stab moves incorporated, generally after you drag someone to the ground. Tried those briefly, but I'll ruin my joints practicing with the local group, the whole 'beat up the new guy' thing is lame.
Do you have a photobucket account showing your work? Might want to buy one for a July delivery or so.

Laserlight
2012-12-18, 12:37 AM
these need to be named, and i need some help

Evening and Mourning. Note the U.

Talderas
2012-12-18, 07:36 AM
Mungojerrie and Rumpleteazer.

Given that they're cat burglars and the character is a rogue.....

Deadline
2012-12-18, 10:53 AM
For single names (in case you want to pair them), I like to borrow from poems and Final Fantasy, eg (off the top of my head):
Caladbolg
Zweihander
Masamune
Murasame
Durandal

None of those are unique to Final Fantasy, they are from fiction/reality (as is almost everything in the Final Fantasy series (oh how I love those games). They are, respectively, the 10th-century Irish for "great sword", german for "two handed sword", a famous japanese swordsmith, japanese for "autumn rain", and the sword of the Paladin Roland (of Charlemagne fame).

Given that my kids have been big into Tangled this week, I would be remiss if I didn't offer up: "The Stabbington Brothers"

Be sure to consult them in any delicate situation.

Flavel
2012-12-21, 03:19 PM
meh, just find the phrase equivalent in old Anglo Saxon and your good to go.

"ælmihtig Dryhten sylfa þas world gesohte and þurh unwemme fæmnan on þas world acenned wæs"

Ravens_cry
2012-12-21, 03:26 PM
I recently decided to name my twin wakizashi Master Fang's Teeth after my Ninja's now dead master, as they were his swords before he died.