PDA

View Full Version : Pack mule while in dungeon?

Drizzcon
2012-12-16, 03:14 AM
I need to increase my carry compasity on the cheap. My dm suggested a pack mule but what should I do with it while my party is in a dungeon? How could I protect my loot and what not if the mule doesn't fit through the entrance to a dungeon?

TuggyNE
2012-12-16, 03:23 AM
The traditional answer is to hire some guards for the mule(s), but then you'll need more supplies, and therefore a few more guards for those supplies. And, of course, you have to pay them, deal with random encounters that are too strong for them, and so on. Alternatively, leave an animal companion or three there, assuming the mule(s) are fine with having an intelligent wolf sitting there licking its paws.

If that doesn't appeal, consider a 2000gp Heward's Handy Haversack, or a custom magic item of tenser's floating disk. If this is PF, ant haul would be useful.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-16, 05:10 AM
Their is a wonderfull spell for this, animate dead. Sometimes dead bodies are the best loot of all, and they can carry the other loot. It's funny, kill an enemy fighter, reanimate it, make it carry the loot it dropped for you. Necromancy, makes the last problem into the solution for the current problem.

Other than that, extra dimensional storage is every adventurer's friend, especially the previously noted handy haversack, and the larger but more unwieldy bags of holding are also excellent (unwieldy because things are more difficulty to pluck out at a moment's notice).

Rubik
2012-12-16, 05:55 AM
Enveloping pits from the MIC are awesome. A bit of UMD or the right alignment and you have a massive amount of storage space for cheeeeap.

How about a wand of Unseen Servant or Mount (replete with saddlebags)?

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-12-16, 06:17 AM
Somewhere lost to the ages on these forums is a thread about the party I had when I ran a game who pimped out their dungeon mule. It had the following:

* Gold Tooth of Sustenance
* Harness of Adaptation
* 3x Lanterns with Continual Light, two bull's-eye in front, one regular in the back
* 1x Lantern of Revealing in the back
* Horseshes of Speed, command word: NOS
* Various bags of holding in the pack saddle
* It was also the Animal Companion of the party Ranger, so it also had Improved Evasion
* Mithral Barding +1 of Heavy Fortification and Ghost Touch
* Horn of Blasting on the front end, which plays 'Dixieland' when blown

It was also included in the daily buffing routine, including Magic Vestments, Mind Blank, and Holy Aura.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-16, 06:49 AM
Somewhere lost to the ages on these forums is a thread about the party I had when I ran a game who pimped out their dungeon mule. It had the following:

* Harness of Adaptation
* 3x Lanterns with Continual Light, two bull's-eye in front, one regular in the back
* It was also the Animal Companion of the party Ranger, so it also had Improved Evasion

It was also included in the daily buffing routine, including Magic Vestments, Mind Blank, and Holy Aura.

Not bad, but i'll see that and raise you 1 oni skeleton (which ever the huge spider one from OA was). Since it had an endoskeleton, it was hollow on the inside. Party includes a character with corpsecrafter (dread necromancer), one with a few ranks in know(architecture and engineering) and one with max ranks in craft(taxidermy). Add a hatch on the top and several windows and sovereign glue a ladder the the back. Put benches and another ladder inside. Mount a +1 spliting heavy repeating crossbow to the hatch as a turret. Boots of speed modified for it's back legs (keeping all of the front ones open for it's massive number of claw attacks), mouthpick spiked chain, and continual flame cast on it's eyes. It acts as a wonderful packmule for carrying the whole party to and from a dungeon. Extradimensional space renders in-dungeon packmules unnecessary. Spider tank!

ShneekeyTheLost
2012-12-16, 07:22 AM
Not bad, but i'll see that and raise you 1 oni skeleton (which ever the huge spider one from OA was). Since it had an endoskeleton, it was hollow on the inside. Party includes a character with corpsecrafter (dread necromancer), one with a few ranks in know(architecture and engineering) and one with max ranks in craft(taxidermy). Add a hatch on the top and several windows and sovereign glue a ladder the the back. Put benches and another ladder inside. Mount a +1 spliting heavy repeating crossbow to the hatch as a turret. Boots of speed modified for it's back legs (keeping all of the front ones open for it's massive number of claw attacks), mouthpick spiked chain, and continual flame cast on it's eyes. It acts as a wonderful packmule for carrying the whole party to and from a dungeon. Extradimensional space renders in-dungeon packmules unnecessary. Spider tank!

I think you may have missed the point...

Packmules or vehicles of any flavor, are largely irrelevant after around level 9 at the latest. The point is... they had a pimped out pack mule, with a gold tooth, and hooked up for NOS to be able to do sprints for pinks.

Heck, the party caster used some illusion stuff and gave him a sweet paint job, complete with flames and some awesome hood/face art.

Lapak
2012-12-16, 09:00 AM
Somewhere lost to the ages on these forums is a thread about the party I had when I ran a game who pimped out their dungeon mule. It had the following:That's amazing. The most I've ever done is cast Spider Climb on my mules so we didn't have to leave them behind while descending a pit.

Unfortunately, they discovered that they really enjoyed the feeling of security being out of reach gave them, and the party Druid had to make several Wild Empathy checks to get them off the ceiling of the cavern before the spell ran out.

Darth Stabber
2012-12-16, 09:26 AM
I think you may have missed the point...

Packmules or vehicles of any flavor, are largely irrelevant after around level 9 at the latest. The point is... they had a pimped out pack mule, with a gold tooth, and hooked up for NOS to be able to do sprints for pinks.

Heck, the party caster used some illusion stuff and gave him a sweet paint job, complete with flames and some awesome hood/face art.

You made a race mule, we made a spider tank, was there a point other being silly and anachronistic.

Archmage1
2012-12-16, 10:43 AM
Yea... we had a mule once. Later, the party fell into a pit trap. it took 2 days to turn the mules intestines into rope, and his skull into a grappling hook. On the bright side, he was delicious.

Private
2012-12-16, 12:20 PM
These should help (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/magic-items/wondrous-items/wondrous-items/m-p/muleback-cords). Even if you aren't playing Pathfinder a DM may allow these since they are pure utility.

Slipperychicken
2012-12-16, 05:24 PM
Yea... we had a mule once. Later, the party fell into a pit trap. it took 2 days to turn the mules intestines into rope, and his skull into a grappling hook. On the bright side, he was delicious.

And this is why you always bring a grappling hook and tons of rope.

Grollub
2012-12-16, 05:59 PM

* Harness of Adaptation

This is full of win!