PDA

View Full Version : AHHHHG, Need help!

ThatGuyOvaThere
2012-12-16, 10:30 AM
So, I recently started DMing for my group, and everything is perfect except, we are getting a new player half way through my campaign. I was thinking about starting a new one, but I have up to epic level down on paper and don't won't to start over any suggestions?:smallfrown:

Cranthis
2012-12-16, 10:32 AM
So, I recently started DMing for my group, and everything is perfect except, we are getting a new player half way through my campaign. I was thinking about starting a new one, but I have up to epic level down on paper and don't won't to start over any suggestions?:smallfrown:

Very simply, just introduce their character in a creative way. There aren't an specifics, so I couldn't give a suggestion.

Blackhawk748
2012-12-16, 11:21 AM
simple have them resue the new guy while on a quest, easy into

ThatGuyOvaThere
2012-12-16, 11:40 AM
Thanks for the suggestions :smallbiggrin: I'll try them.

Hand_of_Vecna
2012-12-16, 11:53 AM
Personally, I'm not a fan of rescuing new PC's. It introduces them from a point of weakness. I prefer introducing characters from a position of strength. Arrange a scenario where the new PC's skills will be vital whether that be a knowledge nobody else has that is vital to the current goals of the group or a type of utility magic nobody has or investigation skills.

Warrior types can be a bit tougher since they often won't have a lot of useful skills and variations of "your team needs more muscle" are kinda lame. If you can swing it having them be associated with an important organization can work well. They could be babysitting a McGuffin the party needs to borrow if the group travels a lot "local guy" becomes a legitimate social contribution to the group.

Basically find something unique about the character and make that thing plot relevant.

Blackhawk748
2012-12-16, 12:07 PM
its only weakness if they subdued him, i remember playing a Sorcerer who got introduced this way, he got captured on purpose and when the party came in he was just about to escape to go and report back to the towns mayor, needless to say he changed his mind when the party showed up

eggs
2012-12-16, 04:40 PM
Does having "up to epic levels down on paper" mean something nearly as railroady as it sounds? My suggestion is to plan less, and just write that story if you want to tell it. Let the players collaborate on their own.

Crake
2012-12-16, 05:44 PM
Does having "up to epic levels down on paper" mean something nearly as railroady as it sounds? My suggestion is to plan less, and just write that story if you want to tell it. Let the players collaborate on their own.

You can easily have a general plot down that can lead into epic levels. Think of it like planning what the BBEG is gonna do, then this plan gets altered by the players.

Slipperychicken
2012-12-17, 01:31 AM
You don't have to start over. Just introduce him at the same level as everybody else.

Maybe a quest-giver assigns/introduces the new guy to the party, saying something like "His skills should prove useful".

Maybe the new guy has a reason to help the party... or is just another hero ready to prove himself.

TuggyNE
2012-12-17, 02:22 AM
Borrow ideas on introduction from this thread from a while back.