PDA

View Full Version : Combining Pathfinder with parts of 3.5 (ie ToB)

Zweanslord
2012-12-16, 12:38 PM
Hello all, a question has been on my mind lately dealing with Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 and Pathfinder. D&D 3.5, with all its books, has a lot of options, and while it differs with Pathfinder, there are also a lot of similarities. New options do get introduced in Pathfinder, but sometimes you might want to use options from 3.5 which Pathfinder does not have. For example: Tome of Battle, the Warlock, the Spirit Shaman, and so on.

Saying you can use both Pathfinder and 3.5, though, gives its own share of problems. It would most likely need to be handled carefully and one would need to be aware of both things added from 3.5 which are too powerful or too weak. So what I am interested in is to look at some parts of 3.5 which one could use in combination with Pathfinder and their feasibility.

So how managable is it to allow Pathfinder with Tome of Battle from the perspective of a DM?

Tome of Battle offers more encounter based powers, turns martial capabilities into a different beast, so to say, and I was wondering if you just allowed Tome of Battle's options to be taken in a Pathfinder game, if things would work out well enough. In which I mean that no real adaptations are necessary for it to work with Pathfinder, and that it does not suddenly invalidate a lot of options from Pathfinder. I realise that Tome of Battle's classes would likely be taken in favour of say the Fighter, but I do not really see that as a bad thing per se.

As for the other two classes I mentioned earlier, I thing that Warlock would need to be looked over to adapt it to Pathfinder. The Spirit Shaman seems okay to use with Pathfinder, as long as you take away the two stats needed for spellcasting, but I would love to hear if this opinion is supported.
There are other classes introduced by D&D 3.5 books as well, and I would like to hear if you people know of any other good candidates which would work well with Pathfinder with little to no modification.

Edit1: I see I accidentily posted this in the wrong forum. That's what I get for having so many tabs open.. Can this be moved?
Edit2: Thank you!

Zweanslord
2012-12-19, 11:14 AM
I would also be interested in the opinion of the people here about combining Pathfinder with other parts of D&D 3.5 I did not mention above, like Magic of Incarnum or the Binder. Would it be feasible to just allow access to these, or is it really not that compatible and would need quite a bit of revision before allowing it with Pathfinder?