PDA

View Full Version : I'm trying to understand movement in Limbo

Jon_Dahl
2012-12-16, 01:15 PM
I'd like to copy and paste the rules presented in the Manual of Planes, but due to copyright reasons I better not... So here we go:

You have four characters in Limbo. All of have Wisdom 11.
Once you establish a controlled area, it will have radius of 5 ft. Let's assume that the party members will let one of them "lead" and others will just stick close to him and inside his controlled area.

You can, once per round as a free action, establish a new controlled area. You walk to the end of the controlled area and - voilá - you have a new area (assuming you make the Wis check). Thus, you only move 5 ft. per round unless you want to enter the raw Limbo. And no one wants to do that, because at any moment you might end up in a pocket of elemental fire.

Let's imagine that everyone has the own controlled area. I guess this effectively destroys the group: Every round everyone's controlled area will move 1d4*10 ft. to a random direction. Since everyone is able to move their controlled area only 5 ft. per round, they can all kiss their group goodbye unless they want to enter the raw Limbo and face the possibility of ending inside a stone or a ball of fire.

Have I understood everything correctly? I'm sure that the OP left many questions open, but let's start with these.

metabolicjosh
2012-12-16, 01:43 PM
Well... the way it works is you have everyone but the leader delay. The action they delay is moving 5 feet. Then when the leader moves they move with him.

So yes they move 5ft.
And no, they should have one leader to control the safe-zone.

I would like to say, Why are you in a situation like this, and don't have high wis? O.o Limbo is a very screwy place to be. I would rather be in the 9 hells... at least there you can kill the deadliest threats

Ravens_cry
2012-12-16, 01:50 PM
As long as the leader isn't crowned the King of Limbo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI0UQ1jPyaE) at the end. . .:smalleek:

Jon_Dahl
2012-12-16, 02:07 PM
Well... the way it works is you have everyone but the leader delay. The action they delay is moving 5 feet. Then when the leader moves they move with him.

So yes they move 5ft.
And no, they should have one leader to control the safe-zone.

I would like to say, Why are you in a situation like this, and don't have high wis? O.o Limbo is a very screwy place to be. I would rather be in the 9 hells... at least there you can kill the deadliest threats

Well I'm the DM and I'm offering my players a chance to go to Limbo. First I just have to figure out how it works out. It would kind of boring if everyone just flies away in their own "safe-zones" and they're unable to even gather in one place.

I'd like to have everything by the book, but as you can see from the OP I'm considering a houserule: You can move the controlled area with you normally and it doesn't surf around in the raw chaos, but every hour you have to check again due to "mental exhaustion".

Jon_Dahl
2012-12-17, 01:44 AM
Bump... :smallsmile:

DemonRoach
2012-12-17, 03:16 AM

Well, if they had a high Wisdom they wouldn't have gone in the first place :smalltongue:

Arcanist
2012-12-17, 03:24 AM
As long as the leader isn't crowned the King of Limbo (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sI0UQ1jPyaE) at the end. . .:smalleek:

Normally I feel bad when someone makes a reference that I don't get immediately, but this one I immediately got... Why do I only feel sadness and horror at my youth? :smallfrown:

alchemyprime
2012-12-17, 03:26 AM
Maybe it's just me, but I give my players a +10 bonus to the rolls if they lean backwards and make an Acrobatics/Tumble (depending on the edition) check to walk that way.

I'm a bad person, but I think if you limbo in Limbo, they should reward you.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-17, 03:28 AM
Normally I feel bad when someone makes a reference that I don't get immediately, but this one I immediately got... Why do I only feel sadness and horror at my youth? :smallfrown:
While I didn't play it, I read the whole Wields_Rulebook_Heavily Let's Play for Limbo of the Lost and then watched the end video.
Sometimes the only way to alleviate madness is to share it. :smalleek: