PDA

View Full Version : Bone Sheild

Story
2012-12-16, 01:43 PM
As I understand, the consensus is that Turn Undead is a broken mechanic anyway. But I just thought of something that makes it even worse.

Why don't Necromancers animate a ton of low HD undead with + Turn Resistance? A Necromancer with Bolster Resistance, Necromantic Aura, and Bagpipes of the Damned surrounded by 32*CL Tiny Viper Skeletons is pretty much immune to turning.

Even if the Cleric has a Rod of Defiance and Lyre of the Restful Soul, those hundreds of vipers each have 4.25 effective HD. A smart Cleric would just use AOE spells or something, but then again, a smart cleric would be using all their turning attempts on DMM anyway.

Update: Just noticed the Banner of the Unliving (HoB pg 133). So that's another +2 Turn Resistance to everything.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-16, 02:46 PM
You know, I'm not sure why you don't see that more often. Although, your specific example would at least slow the necromancer down alittle (tiny vipers have a movement speed of 15 ft. If the necromancer wants to stay with them he'll be forced to move at about that rate.) Still, it's not like the vipers would be good for much other than ablative armor, so maybe necromancers just prefer offensive options?

Also, few people want to keep track of hundreds of cannonfodder, but that's a player issue rather than a mechanical one as such.

Amnestic
2012-12-16, 03:08 PM
You know, I'm not sure why you don't see that more often. Although, your specific example would at least slow the necromancer down alittle (tiny vipers have a movement speed of 15 ft. If the necromancer wants to stay with them he'll be forced to move at about that rate.) Still, it's not like the vipers would be good for much other than ablative armor, so maybe necromancers just prefer offensive options?

Also, few people want to keep track of hundreds of cannonfodder, but that's a player issue rather than a mechanical one as such.

Have the vipers being carried by a single skeleton. When combat begins, he throws them at the enemy. Speed problem solved :smalltongue:

Toy Killer
2012-12-16, 03:45 PM
Immune to anything? I'd like to see him take two fireballs. first one to clear the mess writhing around his body, the second to prove he's not immune...

Piggy Knowles
2012-12-16, 04:03 PM
You know, I've got a necromancer build waiting on the backburner for an appropriate campaign that focuses on raising pigeons, animating them en masse with Fell Animate, and giving them Destructive Retribution. He uses the undead pigeons both as carrier birds and as diving bombers. But he could probably fit in this combo pretty easily as a turn defense...