PDA

View Full Version : Need advice for general tomfoolery

GoldenArbiter
2012-12-16, 04:16 PM
So, for an upcoming game of ??? I have decided that my character will the party troll. Assume this is system independent, set in something resembling middle ages.

I have a very basic idea of what I can do, such as use marbles and such to distract things, but I need more ideas.
I don't care about combat effectiveness, or anything of the like, but that means that all of the items this character would need, would also need to be vaguely useful in combat, whether to escape and evade, or cause direct/indirect damage.

What possible items, or skill sets would aid this character in an arena like setting? Against potential flying opponents as well? These are all important questions, and any and all help would be appreciated.

NikitaDarkstar
2012-12-17, 04:09 AM
some form of mirror to blind and distract people with can be useful. Ropes for tripping or just playing pranks with is always useful. Any acrobatic skill-set for getting in/out in combat will probably be a must along with social skills to fast talk your way out of sticky situations.

But the problem with these type of characters (in my opinion) is that you can't really give good advice on how to play them or what is and isn't useful. It's a spur of the moment thing where you as a player just go "hey, this might work!" and it's just not something you can write a list for.

But me personally when I play "mundane" rogue'ish types in D&D never leave home without caltrops (several bags) rope, grapplinghook, mirror, alchemist fire, thunder stones, sun rods, spare knife (even if you don't use those type of weapons normally, carry at least one or two), acid, a few miscs depending on the type of game I'm expecting and regular adventuring stuff. But what they end up being used for can be very, very random. I've tricked a monster into eating a bag of caltrops, I've used a mirror to set of traps, I've used a grappling hook as an improvised sap, I've discovered that vampires react weirdly when stabbed with sun rods, and alchemist fire is well... I'll just say that helmets don't help much when you aim those things at the eyes....

But really, grab items that have a large variety for uses, or can be used as parts of plans, and if it turns out to be something you use often you can restock later.

GoldenArbiter
2012-12-17, 10:29 AM
Thanks, and you're right, it is hard to just give suggestions for a spur of the moment type thing. I just meant random items that can be used for multiple purpose, and maybe an example or two.

Like smelling salts... cups, apples...

literally anything that may not be from the mundane items table. Just, things.

Thanks again though.

Jay R
2012-12-17, 10:59 AM
Contact poisons for doorknobs.

a paper bag of flour (You want it to burst open when thrown at someone).

Caltrops. More than you think you will need. Then some more. It's still not enough.

Marbles and caltrops in the same bag.