PDA

View Full Version : Defending Your Gaming Turf

Palanan
2012-12-16, 04:42 PM
There's a frustrating issue that's come up, and I could use some advice on how to resolve it.

One of the challenges in running my current campaign is finding an actual space for the game. The only solution I've been able to find so far is a back room in our local hobby store. It's not ideal--I dislike it for a lot of reasons, especially the glass wall/fishbowl effect--but it's all we've got.

Unfortunately, the hobby store's scheduling system involves writing things down on a battered calendar next to the cash register. Different employees seem to have very different ideas about how to do this--and anything written can be unwritten, scribbled over, transposed or simply overlooked. I stop by the store once a week just to make sure nothing's been accidentally changed.

Despite all precautions, yesterday I came in ready for a session and discovered a roomful of kids playing a certain card game, watched over by a couple adults (presumably parents) in the back. They were instantly hostile to me, and insisted they'd had the room scheduled for a month in advance--when the calendar showed no such thing.

Unfortunately the store manager wasn't willing to ask them to leave--even though there wasn't a scrap of physical evidence that they had any claim to the room--and I spent the next several hours enduring the presence of many other people, most of them small and loud, who I didn't really want around.

What makes it all the more frustrating is that these people already have the gaming room booked every Sunday of this month, and every Sunday of next month, and probably all Sundays ever after. I don't know why they feel they should have it on Saturdays, too--and I have a strong suspicion that their iron belief they had the room is based entirely on miscommunication among themselves, rather than anything promised by the store employees.

I also have the unavoidable feeling this will happen again, since they've learned that the store manager will hestitate to say anything firm; probably he doesn't want to offend part of his customer base. I did my best to be polite yesterday, but polite didn't get too far, and I don't want this to become a weekly confrontation. If anyone has any notions about how to prevent this in the future, I'd appreciate hearing your ideas.

hymer
2012-12-16, 04:50 PM
Find another spot. You hate everything about it already, time to look at more ways to do this. Ask your players, ask your friends, tell your players to ask their friends, talk to parents, teachers, cousins, nephews, nieces...

Edit: Or recruit a player with access to a place you can use.

Grinner
2012-12-16, 04:58 PM
What's your group like? Do you all know each other fairly well? What prevents you all from just hosting it at your homes?

Palanan
2012-12-16, 05:12 PM
Originally Posted by hymer
Find another spot.

Unfortunately this seems to be the best we can do. Living situations are such that the game won't work at anyone's home. This is the first time in my life that's been an issue, and I'm discovering just how frustrating that can be.

Because you're right, I hate the hobby store. Their focus is on RC models rather than gaming, and none of the employees are gamers, so there's no real personal interest on their part.

But this is where we're stuck, so advice on conflict resolution would be very much appreciated. I need to find a way to set boundaries with the people in question.

hymer
2012-12-16, 05:19 PM
Not referring to them as people "with absolutely astounding girth" might be a step in the right direction. It's hard to know the actual issues at hand, and so it's kinda hard to explain them.
Maybe they look at you and think "That guy can play at his own place, our children came first". Maybe they were in fact right that they had booked it for a long time, and it was none of their mistake. I don't know why they reacted with the hostility your report, but it could have had something to do with your attitude.

So I still think the best advice I can give is to spread the word about your predicament. You may well be surprised.

Togath
2012-12-16, 05:26 PM
Unfortunately this seems to be the best we can do. Living situations are such that the game won't work at anyone's home. This is the first time in my life that's been an issue, and I'm discovering just how frustrating that can be.

Because you're right, I hate the hobby store. Their focus is on RC models rather than gaming, and none of the employees are gamers, so there's no real personal interest on their part.

But this is where we're stuck, so advice on conflict resolution would be very much appreciated. I need to find a way to set boundaries with the people in question.

Why is going to a different gaming shop not an option?

Palanan
2012-12-16, 05:34 PM
It's possible the room was double-booked, although their group definitely wasn't on the sign-up calendar. Scheduling issues with this same group have come up before, although last time they admitted it was their own internal confusion.

Yesterday they even acknowledged they weren't on the calendar...but still insisted they had the room. Neither I nor the store manager could figure that one out.

I'd like to think I was as polite as possible and then some, on general principle as well as to maintain decent relations with the manager and his staff. From where I was sitting, the other group was doing all the biting. : /

Chilingsworth
2012-12-16, 05:59 PM
Have you considered trying a program like fantasy grounds (http://www.fantasygrounds.com/)? My group has used it to include players who couldn't be there physically. If you and your players have internet access, you can use it and a chat program to play. That way you can all play from your homes, or have only part of your group physically present at a time (rotating those playing remotely unless some end up preffering it.) Might work.

White_Drake
2012-12-16, 07:00 PM
Have you considered challenging one of the aforementioned "people with absolutely astounding girth" to a duel? how good are you with an epee?

Kadzar
2012-12-16, 07:08 PM
Why is going to a different gaming shop not an option?Because maybe there isn't another gaming shop anywhere near him? I personally have to go a couple towns over and travel a half hour to get to my nearest game shop (though fortunately the owners of this place are a lot better than the people where Palanan goes). Not everyone can live in a big city full of dozens of game shops to choose from.

Anxe
2012-12-16, 07:30 PM
I used to play at a coffee shop. You'd want to ask the coffee shop manager first and obviously buy a bunch of stuff while you're there. Give that a try?

I've also heard libraries are a good place, but that's always seemed suspicious. Aren't you supposed to be quiet in libraries?

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-16, 07:36 PM
Have you considered challenging one of the aforementioned "people with absolutely astounding girth" to a duel? how good are you with an epee?

Dude, I am still laughing, And I read That a full 10 minutes ago...:smallwink:

Now, On the subject, Talk to the Store Manager about Talking to them, And seeing when they have it booked To, And Reserving it after them, Or B.) Try to get them to tell you When the last time they have it booked is...

Now my personal reaction would be something along the lines of a Ticked off Tarrasque, But...:smallcool:

Palanan
2012-12-16, 07:44 PM
Originally Posted by Kadzar
Not everyone can live in a big city full of dozens of game shops to choose from.

This, in spades. The region where I live is a gaming desert.

Originally Posted by Anxe
I've also heard libraries are a good place, but that's always seemed suspicious.

We've already tried the library, which was a disaster. We're stuck.

I've tried talking with the store manager, but he wasn't really willing to do anything. Best I can think is to try to contact these people outside the gaming store...but they probably wouldn't take kindly to that either.

Togath
2012-12-16, 07:47 PM
Best I can think is to try to contact these people outside the gaming store...but they probably wouldn't take kindly to that either.

Why would they take poorly to asking about it?

Gnoman
2012-12-16, 07:47 PM
I've also heard libraries are a good place, but that's always seemed suspicious. Aren't you supposed to be quiet in libraries?

Most libraries have soundproofed conference rooms that are used for everything from tutoring to storytime to town hall meetings. So long as the room is not in use, arranging to use it is often possible.

genderlich
2012-12-16, 09:42 PM
A couple years back, one of the players in my group discovered the perfect gaming spot. It was a secluded cove in the woods, a flat rock shelf behind a brick wall overlooking a stream. We carried tables and chairs there and played in the evening by torchlight. The atmosphere it lended to the game was amazing, even if the flying insects were irritating. So we had that spot to ourselves for a couple of summers. We didn't use it that often - just on special occaaions when the weather was nice.

Unfortunately, we live in a college town, and one day we went to the Pirates' Cove (as we'd taken to calling it) to find trash and beer cans strewn about everywhere and our furniture smashed and wrecked. It appears we were no longer the only ones to go there. It was pretty upsetting and we haven't been back since. The good news is that wasn't our main space, but it was definitely a case of being unable to defend your turf.

Palegreenpants
2012-12-16, 09:57 PM

YES, this sounds like a very good way of settling arguments. . .
Myself, being somewhat better than most with an epee, would win a lot of confrontations. . .

Ravens_cry
2012-12-16, 10:03 PM
In all seriousness, check to see if your local library has rooms you can set something up in?
It's a thought at least.

valadil
2012-12-16, 10:24 PM
Could you complain about the policy? It seems like this was going to happen there eventually.

Slipperychicken
2012-12-16, 10:30 PM
Challenge them to a children's card game (Yu Gi Oh style) against their best player. Winner gets the gaming space.

Otherwise, drunken boxing.

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-17, 03:41 AM
Challenge them to a children's card game (Yu Gi Oh style) against their best player. Winner gets the gaming space.

Otherwise, drunken boxing.

This, Or perhaps, If your Skill is up to it, Pokemon.
See, If I challenged any kid to a Op fest in D&D, Im sorry, but they would be screwed over x2, Espically with my Dragons...
However, I still say I can hold my own in Pokemon and Yu-gi-oh

NikitaDarkstar
2012-12-17, 03:57 AM
If this is truly your only space right now I'd go online. Most books are available as .pdf's nowadays (unless everyone has their own copy of what they need) and just keep playing online until you find a better solution. Just a fair warning, playing online takes more time since everything needs to be typed out, but the potential for deeper RP is well worth it. Just keep OOC chatter to a minimum, derailing an entire session is ridiculously easy.

lady_arrogance
2012-12-17, 04:27 AM
I am having related problem, so I come here to rant about it.

So, I have managed to lure few players for Pathfinder game, and the biggest problem is "Where to host the Sessions?"

As most of my players are stydents, they live on really teeny-tiny studio apartments or student-dorms. I live in quite large house, but it's so far from everyone's homes it would be quite hard to my players to come over. (No proper public transport, and almost 10kilometres to walk - and no-one has own car.)

So I have arranged (with help of one of my players) that we can play at local coffee shop (no gaming stores at this town) - but it's awfully noisy, as there are other customers, too. At local library is another possibility where to play, but we have to be out as library closes - which means max. 2 hours of gaming time/session, as playing at library is possible only weekdays, after all my players studies for the day are over.

So which is better: force my players to walk at my place, host sessions at noisy coffee shop or limit gaming time 2hours/session - which will be not enough, I think. I'd like to have another option, but I can't think anything.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-17, 04:36 AM
Well, unless the cars are like the size of Urkel's Isetta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isetta), can't some people car pool? Chipping in a little money each week for gas, or the car pooler's buying or making the snacks, shouldn't be a problem for most people.

Hanuman
2012-12-17, 04:50 AM
Find a new spot.
Whether intentional or not they have the ability to crash your party, you can either talk it out, butt heads, give up or take the power out of their hands and I for one like the latter option.

If you guys buy **** every time you go in for a session then just make friends with the employees and show them that they have invested interest in making room for you, but you make it pretty clear than they are hostile playdate moms so even talking to them may be more stress than worth it to the employees.

I donno, try and get it to work at someone's house, ask again and find out more about why the problems are and try to resolve them. I love gaming at houses, so many more options open up.

White_Drake
2012-12-17, 07:36 AM
As most of my players are stydents, they live on really teeny-tiny studio apartments or student-dorms. I live in quite large house, but it's so far from everyone's homes it would be quite hard to my players to come over. (No proper public transport, and almost 10kilometres to walk - and no-one has own car.)So which is better: force my players to walk at my place, host sessions at noisy coffee shop or limit gaming time 2hours/session - which will be not enough, I think. I'd like to have another option, but I can't think anything.

Unless I'm mistaken, a human can reliably walk a league in an hour, and there are about four leagues in 20 klicks, so wouldn't walking both ways, combined with a four hour session make it a twelve hour event? I think another option would probably be best, although I'm stumped for what.

Back on topic, are the parents of such immense circumference that they couldn't be reliably run through by the average rapier? If so, I would recommend sabres.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-17, 07:44 AM
My bad on my earlier suggestion; I read 'no-one' as 'not everyone'.
Hmm, know anyone with one of those large vans that would be willing to play shuttle?
What are bus routes like in your area?

Krazzman
2012-12-17, 08:08 AM
The thing is... what are you thinking you should do?

There is this place you don't like but you have to play there because nothing other is free and someone entered it and was directly hostile against you? Well I either would say quit and arrange at home. I've played in rooms with basically no place due to the bed taking up 25% of the room and 20% were taken with the pc. the rest was used to Game on a Table that filled the 40% of the room. And it was still amazing for this. Or in an even smaller room but without a table.
YOu can arrange yourself on short notice.

I would probably try to explain the parents that your campaign is 18+. And if they don't want their children to be confronted with sexual contend or things like manslaughter you would advice them to leave as you won't... shape the campaign to be fit for an audience you never planned.

Another point is... how are you dressed? Typical Jeans-Band-shirt or Jeans-pullover? I know how many people just judge you in the first 12 miliseconds they see you and then if they don't like your attitude they would even lay bricks in your path.

Either that or I would be aggravated and be a **** as long as they would've stayed. Not to the kids mind you but to the parents for their hostile reaction. I can't stand such things. Or I would bribe the manager so it won't happen again. Paying a few dollars per hour you are there but then can count on being left alone in that room might be worth it.

The thing is... it either get's bloody real quick or, one part is unhappy or both come on same terms. The worst that can happen is you get kicked out or your gaming experience is... weakened or that one of you is that aggravated that you kick them out...with force.

Magesmiley
2012-12-17, 10:39 AM
Well, since the store seems to have the attitude of not making people move who are already playing, what about starting playing earlier and being there first? Schedule your game for earlier (maybe even when the store opens up). If the other group complains, point out that you are on the schedule.

One other possibility is that the store is just listing the day that groups are playing without listing the times. This can be an issue in particular on the weekeneds. You might see about making a calendar printout of some sort for the store that they can keep with their calendar which lets them schedule hours to use the space.

Jay R
2012-12-17, 10:52 AM
It's sounds like the only tactical advantage the other group had was that they were at the table already, and the store manager wasn't willing to tell people to leave, regardless of what the schedule says. OK, if that matters, fine.

First, get on the schedule somehow. Then, any day that you are on the schedule, get there first, and sit down at the table you want. I understand that the store manager isn't willing to ask people to leave, even if the schedule says they don't have it.

When the inevitable discussion comes up, be as reasonable as you can, stating loudly and often that you want to devise a schedule that lets your group and their group both have their games - without ever getting up from the table.

Thrawn4
2012-12-17, 03:05 PM
I would probably ask the store manager why there is a schedule at all and why some kids are given all the privileges whereas other customers who bought some expensive books are frowned upon. I mean, all you really want is a fair treatment, is it not? Strikes me as a bad customer service.

BlckDv
2012-12-17, 03:33 PM
Sadly you are in a bit of a bind as there are at least three separate agents here:

your group
the cardgamers
the store

The Store should be the arbiter of disputes, but from what you have presented to us appears to operate on a first come, first served basis with a calendar as more or less merely a record of intent.

If this is accurate, you should determine if the cardgamers have a spokesperson/organizer, and if so try to have a chat about what factors go into their schedule, how predictable it is, and what kind of impacts changing it has on them. From there you can see if you can reach an accord without the aid of the store.

If not, the advice given by others would seem to be spot on, either accept the evidence that the room is first come first serve and adjust your arrival to claim a table accordingly, or find another spot, given that this spot is going from bad to worse.

In years past I have played in the study cubby of a dorm, in a hallway of a Physics classroom building after most classes were done for the day, on the bed of someone's bedroom in their apartment, in a cafeteria at a high school, in a godfather's pizza (actually a pretty great spot), as well as the more normal living rooms, porches, etc. My current hometown only has 1 gaming store as well, so I feel your pain on that front. Good luck.

Palanan
2012-12-17, 05:41 PM
I went by the store this afternoon, and the reception from the manager was much less than welcoming. I've been going to this store for at least ten years, so that's more than a little frustrating.

The problem with the store, as I mentioned earlier, is that gaming isn't really on their personal radar. RC models are their big thing, along with plastic scale models (Tamiya, Hasegawa, etc.) and model train sets, plus an aisle of kids' science kits, a wall for model rockets, a display case for metal detectors, etc. etc.

They used to have one small shelf of random older D&D products (Secrets of the Magister, Sword and Fist, etc.) but a leaking roof took those out, and "3.5" is an unknown term. It's a decent all-around hobby store, but definitely not a gaming haven.

DoctorStandard, I love the idea of the Pirate's Cove. Maybe one day....

Alejandro
2012-12-17, 05:53 PM
Dump that store. They don't care about you.

Why are none of your homes available?

Hanuman
2012-12-17, 07:20 PM
I went by the store this afternoon, and the reception from the manager was much less than welcoming. I've been going to this store for at least ten years, so that's more than a little frustrating.

The problem with the store, as I mentioned earlier, is that gaming isn't really on their personal radar. RC models are their big thing, along with plastic scale models (Tamiya, Hasegawa, etc.) and model train sets, plus an aisle of kids' science kits, a wall for model rockets, a display case for metal detectors, etc. etc.

They used to have one small shelf of random older D&D products (Secrets of the Magister, Sword and Fist, etc.) but a leaking roof took those out, and "3.5" is an unknown term. It's a decent all-around hobby store, but definitely not a gaming haven.

DoctorStandard, I love the idea of the Pirate's Cove. Maybe one day....

Dude, that's a hobby shop. Parents are a huge chunk of their demograph.

Are you rural? Why is an actual gaming shop not available.

BRC
2012-12-17, 07:49 PM
Dump that store. They don't care about you.

Why are none of your homes available?
I'm kind of curious about this too. Unless you're an especially large group, you shouldn't need that big a space. I've run games in one-person dorm rooms sitting on a bed, around kitchen tables, on the floor. Really, you just need enough space for people to sit, roll dice, and look at pieces of paper. If you need to write stuff, most DnD Sourcebooks make ideal writing surfaces.
How many people are in your gaming group?

Also, here is another question. Do you use large maps/miniatures to keep track of battles? That could take up lots of space, but it's hardly necessary. For years my groups went without maps, and when I did make maps we just used pencils to keep track of the battle, with the whole map contained on a single pieces of 8.5x11 that we passed around.

I say you give up on the battle over the Hobby Shop. The parents are going to be better customers, and the owner is more likely to sympathize with a bunch of kids than with you. You seem convinced that there is nowhere else to meet, but if you cut down on your space requirements and look around you can probably find somewhere.

Acanous
2012-12-17, 08:29 PM
Use traps. I know the book guidelines are rather expensive, but you can get some decent ones on the cheap. A simple Stinking Cloud trap usually does the trick, but Create Water or even a mechanical trap with a thunderstone can clear a room if applied innovatively.
I wouldn't go with a Pit trap, though, as you don't own the dungeon.

Hanuman
2012-12-17, 09:32 PM
He brings a good point, I would probably get your gramarie to set up a black kaleidomantic filter around your gaming table focused on your group and then just get your ozodrin to intimidate them when they get too near, forcing them back out of the filter enclosure, erasing their literal experience and leaving them with a horrifying implacable emotional memory. They'd probably leave.

Sajiri
2012-12-17, 09:42 PM
If the manager is unhappy with you when you stop by, there's going to be a reason, even if it's just that he's tired of dealing with it from both sides. I wouldn't suggest trying to get the manager involved if the store already makes it clear they don't want to be involved, pissing them off further probably won't help.

If the other group has it booked on both days of the weekend try coming to some understanding with them. You don't WANT to fight over the spot, if they agree to let you have it on one of the days, you wont fight them over the other day. That's an entirely reasonable request imo, although definitely keep the manners up, and as already pointed out, referring to them in the manner you had probably doesnt help.

If they still refuse and insist they should have it because they had it first, well just show up before them. If they get bothered, you're just following the rules they did. Of course it might cause them to try to get there even earlier to beat you, or complain to the store further annoying them too. Just give them another chance to take the offer of one day each.

But even then, try finding another place. Where I am there is only one gaming store within a 30 minute drive that is always packed with kids playing card games around it's few tables unless I want to go all the way downtown, deal with traffic and pay a fortune on parking, which I don't, and I don't really consider my town 'rural'. There are other issues to why homes may not be viable choices either, others living there could be a factor, I know when I lived with my parents they would make a huge deal over anything I was doing for fun which just got annoying, particularly if I had a few d&d books laying around me.

But what's a better option? You already don't like being in that store, is dealing with them and an annoying and hostile group of kids/parents easier than being somewhere else with (potentially) less room and some other family/roommates/whatever around?

Deophaun
2012-12-17, 11:47 PM
The only way to defend your gaming turf is with cash. If you don't own it or aren't renting it, you have no control over it. Since it seems like your group doesn't have much to do with the market of the hobby store, you've probably not endeared them with an influx of reliable business, either.

Driderman
2012-12-18, 01:29 AM
I can only imagine how little the store manager cares about a group of people who take up space at his store without actually being paying customers.
You'd probably be better off finding another spot since judging from your story so far, you're pretty much just a group of non-paying customers taking up space that the paying customers want to use.

TheThan
2012-12-18, 02:10 AM
I think your best off else ware, see you’re in a losing position. See you are dealing with a store that has no vested interest in keeping you in there or even keeping you as a customer.

Collectible card games, by their very nature, require people to constantly spend a lot of cash on them, this translates into a whole lot of profit for the store. With RPGs, once players have all the source books they want, it stops costing them anything; which means store owners stop making money on them.

Judging from what has already been described in this thread; this store is not interested in building a gaming community (some stores have that as a secondary goal aside from profit), and zero interest in anything other than turning a profit. It already focuses on other forms of hobbies and has no interest in carrying or catering to your hobby. Even when he clearly has a customer in his store often enough that he ought to at least consider providing merchandise for him.

All this basically means the store is going to cater to group that provides them the most profit; which sadly is going to be the CCG players. So yeah, you’re better off finding somewhere else to play.

White_Drake
2012-12-18, 10:55 AM
You know Acanous, originally I was against traps becasue of the potential for collateral damage, but without knowing the store owners, I couldn't say.

To the OP, in a serious tone (for the first time this thread), it looks like one of your best options might be going digital. I personally don't like the idea of gaming without a physical social gathering, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Your position at the ULGS (unfriendly local gaming store) is untenable, and although you aren't in the fault, staying at the shop when they would clearly prefer you be elsewhere is toeing the line. Wash your hands of the place and clear off. If you can't find a good place to play, cybergaming is better than no gaming.

Palanan
2012-12-18, 01:12 PM
As I mentioned before, I've been a steady and long-term customer at this store. What's especially frustrating is that I've made a point of trying to support the store, especially this past year.

The sad irony is that when I first asked about using their game room, they were delighted and falling all over themselves to invite me in. They've only had the game room for about a year, after they renovated the back part of the store. At the beginning of the year it was always open, always available, and they were always happy to see us.

But over the course of the year the room has gradually been "discovered," and I think the store employees are discovering that juggling schedules is a lot more hassle than they'd realized, especially as more groups become interested and more people are jockeying for limited weekend space.

And the staff are contributing to the issue themselves. What I didn't mention before is that one of the new employees is starting up a Warhammer group of his own, and he shamelessly co-opted one of the weekends I'd already signed up for. ("I'm gonna have to hijack one of your days, man," was his actual quote.) There's no real oversight, no coordination and no accountability.

So, yeah. Not ideal at all.

I appreciate the suggestions, folks. I'll figure something out.

Sipex
2012-12-18, 01:28 PM
Well, you've been nice, now I think you should try the tried and true method which gets people what they want. Take off the kid gloves and stop being nice (but remain reasonable), explain what you've told us, that you've been a customer for 10+ years, you're trying to support them, you've tried to be nice and patient but that you're not getting the respect you want.

If they don't give a little you'll pull your business and make sure everyone you know knows why.

It's not the best approach, and it runs the risk of losing the store, but at this point that may be the way things are heading anyways.

edit: Make sure you specify that you've tried being co-operative and nice and all that fun stuff but that the store just seems to be growing increasingly hostile towards you. Demand to know why their attitude towards you has changed so radically and to know why nobody thought of talking it out with you like a mature adult.

Alejandro
2012-12-19, 12:02 AM
As I mentioned before, I've been a steady and long-term customer at this store. What's especially frustrating is that I've made a point of trying to support the store, especially this past year.

The sad irony is that when I first asked about using their game room, they were delighted and falling all over themselves to invite me in. They've only had the game room for about a year, after they renovated the back part of the store. At the beginning of the year it was always open, always available, and they were always happy to see us.

But over the course of the year the room has gradually been "discovered," and I think the store employees are discovering that juggling schedules is a lot more hassle than they'd realized, especially as more groups become interested and more people are jockeying for limited weekend space.

And the staff are contributing to the issue themselves. What I didn't mention before is that one of the new employees is starting up a Warhammer group of his own, and he shamelessly co-opted one of the weekends I'd already signed up for. ("I'm gonna have to hijack one of your days, man," was his actual quote.) There's no real oversight, no coordination and no accountability.

So, yeah. Not ideal at all.

I appreciate the suggestions, folks. I'll figure something out.

They probably were eager because they thought you'd be spending more money than you (maybe?) actually have.

Why are all of your homes not possible?

ko_sct
2012-12-20, 09:54 PM
Nobody said it ?

I guess it mean I must be the one to make the suggestion.

Look at them dead in the eyes and say:

You gamed to the wrong neighborhood...

If they don't leave after that, I'm out off ideas.

Traab
2012-12-20, 11:06 PM
Ive got an idea. Get the table stealing buggers together, then challenge them to a card game battle! Make it one neither of you is currently playing. Get the store to enforce the rules. This way (assuming they carry the supplies) they make money from people buying packs to build winning decks, and they have an official and somewhat fun way to settle schedule disputes. A single game of yugioh (or whatever) to determine ownership for the night! Its time, to d-d-d-d-DUEL!

Heh, seriously though, I honestly find it hard to understand that noone in your gaming group knows anyone who would be willing to lend out the use of a room once a week or whatever. Hell, i would be willing to allow it (within reason) just in exchange for teaching me to play and including me. Holding a noobs hand till he figures it out would be a small price to pay for having a place to gather. :P

Jay R
2012-12-20, 11:56 PM
Check for available rooms in local public libraries or community centers.

Raimun
2012-12-21, 04:35 AM
I wouldn't play RPG in a store. Too much hassle and no privacy.

... And I'm sure most stores wouldn't allow even one can of beer ... and they'd raise eyebrows to most OOC-talk. :smalltongue:

Deepbluediver
2012-12-21, 12:37 PM

A logical step in any business model is: offer something for free>>>once it's popular and well known, start charging for it.

You could, if you are willing, make a proposal that the game room is still free on a first-come-first serve basis, but that it's possible to "reserve a table or the whole space" for a nominal amount (5 bucks for a table for half a day, or something; I don't know how large the whole space is). That way whoever wants to pay can do so, and then has a legitimate claim on the space. Anyone who doesn't want to pay can fight it out with whoever else is there.

Check for available rooms in local public libraries or community centers.
Local libraries are a decent idea, the only problem might be noise. Some of the gaming groups I've been in can get pretty rowdy.

Another idea might be a local school. (again, I don't know the details of your group, but just brainstorming) There are lots of empty classrooms all weekend, and many states have laws saying that public space has to be made available for non-profit organizations (I think so, anyway, I know there was a court case a while back about religious groups meeting in public schools).

doc225
2012-12-21, 02:14 PM
I have a few questions on this, which may or may not have been answered, and I think a few others have asked questions and received no answers.

1: Why exactly is no player or GM able to host the game? Also remember that some people use the word "unable" when what they really mean is "unwilling."

2: Are any of the players college students, that maybe using a space on campus is a possibility?

3: Would you be opposed to providing the city or zip code for those of us who might want to help you find a new space using some google-fu? As far as privacy goes, I'd have no problem telling anyone I live in Affton, MO. USA. maybe that is against CoC, I don't remember. But it might help if we had some idea of what you were dealing with. There are always spaces somewhere, you just have to know where to look.

Alejandro
2012-12-21, 08:51 PM
Local libraries are a decent idea, the only problem might be noise. Some of the gaming groups I've been in can get pretty rowdy.

Another idea might be a local school. (again, I don't know the details of your group, but just brainstorming) There are lots of empty classrooms all weekend, and many states have laws saying that public space has to be made available for non-profit organizations (I think so, anyway, I know there was a court case a while back about religious groups meeting in public schools).

All very true. But it would be a hell of a lot easier to just play at one of the members' homes, and we still have not learned why it's apparently impossible.

RandomNPC
2012-12-21, 09:22 PM
Relevant Information:
1: OP refuses to talk about why homes are useless for game time. Therefore homes are out.

2: Store doesn't want OP in store. Store is out.

Discernible Options:
1: Find a gamer, willing to learn or experienced, who has a home you can use.

2: Public Park or other outdoor area (Weather/season permitting)

3: Webcam/Chat program (Mentioned many times but there was never a mention of why this is no good)

4: Become more desirable to have around the store than ALL the card gamers. This is nearly impossible.

5: Make peace with card gamers. Also nearly impossible.

6: Find something I haven't thought of yet. (Nobody's perfect after all. Well I pretend not to be anyway, puts people at ease.)

Edit: Bad spelling makes bad words....