PDA

View Full Version : Good maps for Play-by-Post?

Maquise
2012-12-16, 04:52 PM
Does anyone know of a good, convenient way of making maps for play-by-post campaigns?

I've tried using Maptools, but the only way I can use that in a pbp environment is by taking screenshots and then uploading the screenshots, a bothersome and time-consuming process. Currently, I'm using Google spreadsheets, which works fine I guess, but I can't help but wonder if there's something more.

I have found some websites that have mapping software intended for this sort of thing. The problem is that most of them make you use their forums for your games, and I would like to stay at the Playground if at all possible. Any ideas?

Malimar
2012-12-16, 05:22 PM
I wound up going with sort of rogue-like (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike) maps, typing them out in Notepad, copying them into the forum under the
tag to preserve the fixed width, and providing a key with every map.

Example:[code]..........
.########.
.#......#.
.#......#.
.|[email protected].#.
.#......#.
.#......#.
.########.
. = ground
# = wall
| = door
@ = you
o = orc
t = table with pie on it

It suits my tastes and purposes pretty well (certainly easier for me than mucking about with image files or third-party websites), but I probably wouldn't actually recommend it to anybody who isn't already used to rogue-like "graphics".

Maquise
2012-12-16, 11:00 PM
I've thought about it, but that's basically the same thing as using Google spreadsheets. Actually, spreadsheets are easier.

Phaedrus2129
2012-12-16, 11:56 PM
I had my friend draw me up a hex grid using AutoCAD. I just copy/paste that however many times I need then draw on it with MS Paint.