PDA

View Full Version : Fallen Empires

dark.sun.druid
2012-12-16, 06:17 PM
I'm looking to make a list. A list of races. A list of a very specific kind of races. I'm looking to make a list of all of the races that used to have multiverse-spanning empires that have since fallen. The two examples I know of are the Illithids (LoM says that they ruled the multiverse, and that at the end of time they traveled back to aprox. the present) and the Spellweavers (DR 338), who also had a multiverse-spanning empire, though a mostly noninvasive one.

If anyone knows of any other races that fit this theme, it would be a huge help to me.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-16, 09:09 PM
LeShay? ELH I don't have my copy of hte ELH handy, but I thought they used to have a big empire.
In various histories, the Dragons use to rule entire worlds, having taken control from 'The Old Ones' or the Aboleths or some Giant Variety.

Arcanist
2012-12-16, 09:52 PM
LeShay? ELH I don't have my copy of hte ELH handy, but I thought they used to have a big empire.

The LeShay are inhabitants of the world prior to the world that we have today... I'm curious what you define as "Multiplanar" because the Netherese did possess some reach into Spelljammer and did inhabit the Demiplane of Shadow.

herrhauptmann
2012-12-16, 10:14 PM
The LeShay are inhabitants of the world prior to the world that we have today... I'm curious what you define as "Multiplanar" because the Netherese did possess some reach into Spelljammer and did inhabit the Demiplane of Shadow.

Found my ELH, says they existed before the current multiverse. After teh catastrophe, time changed so their empire never existed. :smallconfused: They might be lying about that to salve their egos, but really, who wants to call a LeShay a liar to his face?:smalleek:

You might be right about the Netherese too. Though I was under the impression they didn't enter the plane of shadow on a large scale until Karsus did his thing, at which point, their empire was already dead. The spelljammer thing is news to me. Where is it listed? Lost Empires of Faerun? Or a Spelljammer book?

avr
2012-12-16, 10:53 PM
Eberron's Quori and/or Daelkyr might fit your bill. From their home planes (Dal Qour & Xoriat) they at least sought to rule Eberron itself, and the Quori at least probably sought to dominate any other world which your cosmology would connect to the realm of dreams.

OTOH your particular mention of Illithids (who were just servants & creations of the Daelkyr in Eberron) suggests that you may be operating from a different default cosmology, possibly FR or Greyhawk.

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-16, 10:57 PM
but really, who wants to call a LeShay a liar to his face?:smalleek:

My Pyrolastic Elder one Dragon.
:smallcool:

herrhauptmann
2012-12-16, 11:00 PM
My Pyrolastic Elder one Dragon.
:smallcool:

Who? What?
Homebrew? Link to templates?

Arcanist
2012-12-17, 12:03 AM
You might be right about the Netherese too. Though I was under the impression they didn't enter the plane of shadow on a large scale until Karsus did his thing, at which point, their empire was already dead. The spelljammer thing is news to me. Where is it listed? Lost Empires of Faerun? Or a Spelljammer book?

Oberon was an Arcanist that ritualistically sent his own Enclave into space (just because). Details of his expeditions are listed in Netheril: Empire of Magic. Hell, Valdick's Spheresail existed for the sole purpose of moving at TWICE spelljamming speed because Valdick didn't like the time it took to travel between Crystal Spheres. More or less the Netherese COULD travel at Spelljamming speeds, but never really saw a reason too do so for reasons known only to them.

Personally, I'm a little fuzzy on Spelljammer really... Lately, I've been reading through Chronomancer to get a better look at how WoTC intended for Time Travel to be, because Teleport Through Time can hardly be considered a good reference for it.

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-17, 12:18 AM
Who? What?
Homebrew? Link to templates?

Pyrolastic Dragon:
Draconomicon (WoTC) not sure on page, Dragon made of pure Lava.
Elder one: Immortals handbook, Page something.
I should have done it better:

but really, who wants to call a LeShay a liar to his face?:smalleek:

My Draco Invitici Elder one nation commanding, Winged death, Bearer of the Claws of Fate, Slayer of Zeus, Slayer of Ares, Slayer of Io, Eater of Worlds (Now, in all respects, He is BIG enough to eat them, Bigger then most), Pyrolastic Dragon Arch Wizard, Inferndyrim

Arcanist
2012-12-17, 12:39 AM
My Draco Invitici Elder one nation commanding, Winged death, Bearer of the Claws of Fate, Slayer of Zeus, Slayer of Ares, Slayer of Io, Eater of Worlds (Now, in all respects, He is BIG enough to eat them, Bigger then most), Pyrolastic Dragon Arch Wizard, Inferndyrim

WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! You don't go tossing around the title of Archwizard on to people (or things) just because. You gotta earn that title the old fashion way!

1. Create a Netherese Mythallar
2. Sever a mountain and invert it on the flat surface
3. Plant the Mythallar into the Mountain so that it remains floating [Must be done within 2 weeks]
4. Build an attractive City that can capture the attention of citizens for you to rule over.
5. Rule over the City unopposed by any other Archwizard.

I'm curious, what game you played in that allowed for the use of the Immortal's Handbook :smallconfused:

herrhauptmann
2012-12-17, 01:10 AM
WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! WHOA! You don't go tossing around the title of Archwizard on to people (or things) just because. You gotta earn that title the old fashion way!

3. Plant the Mythallar into the Mountain so that it remains floating [Must be done within 2 weeks]
4. Build an attractive City that can capture the attention of citizens for you to rule over.

I'm curious, what game you played in that allowed for the use of the Immortal's Handbook :smallconfused:

I stopped reading at Immortal's Handbook. I downloaded a copy of it once, got partway through, and deleted it. Only dandwiki is worse for balance.

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-17, 01:26 AM

I stopped reading at Immortal's Handbook. I downloaded a copy of it once, got partway through, and deleted it. Only dandwiki is worse for balance.

I call Killing a world to asorb its Arcane energies a worthy title.

1. Nah, to easy
2. Why do that? Why not make a full Demiplane? Universe?
3. 1 Minute is all it takes
4. Why waste time? Build a Planar Empire.
5. Eh, I Ate them all.

Well, My game...

Immortals handbook is a well written book, You all just are not used to it's power level.

Arcanist
2012-12-17, 02:33 AM
I call Killing a world to asorb its Arcane energies a worthy title.

1. Nah, to easy
2. Why do that? Why not make a full Demiplane? Universe?
3. 1 Minute is all it takes
4. Why waste time? Build a Planar Empire.
5. Eh, I Ate them all.

Well, My game...

Immortals handbook is a well written book, You all just are not used to it's power level.

1. It's a Minor Artifact.
2. Because Telemont Thantul made the entire Plane of Shadows and didn't earn the title until he made an Enclave.
3. Touching a Mythallar kills you instantly with no save (This is going by a 2nd edition source mind you)
4. Why waste time? Alter Reality so that you created Reality.
5. And then they: Casted Celerity, casted Maximized Time Stop, Dimension Door'd out of you, Teleported Through Time, and did an infinite damage loop before you even hatched, just because. You're fighting a group of people that put Schrodinger's Wizard(s) to shame (They have all they effectively cast (Manifest) Spells (Powers) like an Erudite... except without a limit on Unique Powers/Day), do you legitimately believe you have a chance at beating them before they tear reality to pieces just to mess with you? :smallconfused:

I'm used to advanced levels of play, but the Immortal's Handbook adds an unnecessary spin on things. Epic is powerful enough as is and doesn't need anything else to make it more powerful. Mind you that "Powerful enough" is very similar to "[insert flavor] enough" and is relative to change depending on the group or "taster" :smallsigh:

Darth Stabber
2012-12-17, 04:00 AM
Didn't the Phaerrim control the forgotten realms in the past?

Aboleths probably used to control the world according to LoM.

Depending on how tolkeinesque your world is, elves may have.

The tanar'ri, baatezu, guardinals, archons, eladrin, slaad, and modrons all control entire planes. Obyriths used to control the abyss, until the tanar'ri revolt.

ShadowFireLance
2012-12-17, 04:13 AM
1. It's a Minor Artifact.
2. Because Telemont Thantul made the entire Plane of Shadows and didn't earn the title until he made an Enclave.
3. Touching a Mythallar kills you instantly with no save (This is going by a 2nd edition source mind you)
4. Why waste time? Alter Reality so that you created Reality.
5. And then they: Casted Celerity, casted Maximized Time Stop, Dimension Door'd out of you, Teleported Through Time, and did an infinite damage loop before you even hatched, just because. You're fighting a group of people that put Schrodinger's Wizard(s) to shame (They have all they effectively cast (Manifest) Spells (Powers) like an Erudite... except without a limit on Unique Powers/Day), do you legitimately believe you have a chance at beating them before they tear reality to pieces just to mess with you? :smallconfused:

I'm used to advanced levels of play, but the Immortal's Handbook adds an unnecessary spin on things. Epic is powerful enough as is and doesn't need anything else to make it more powerful. Mind you that "Powerful enough" is very similar to "[insert flavor] enough" and is relative to change depending on the group or "taster" :smallsigh:

*Cracks Knuckles*

1. I can create GREATER at WILL, In a matter of Nano Secounds
2. Meh, I made the Plane of Dragons.
3. Immune to anything that can harm me, End of story.
4. No need, I made my own realilty
5. Lets see here.

Clereity
Nope, I have Anti-magic in a radius of 100^7616 Miles

Time Stop
See above

Dimension Door

Teleported
See still above.

Nope, I am immune to time Backtracking, Look at Slipstream Cosmic Ability.
And besides, I already went back in time, And Possessed myself as a Dracolich when I was born.

Mind you, I ran a 500th Tristalt Demiurge I level play, And Beat each of the players one on one, What now?