PDA

View Full Version : rogue needs help!

Casty
2012-12-16, 06:46 PM
Hey all, was hoping for some advice for someone new to d&d. My friends and I have been playing 3.5 for.a few months. I am a level 11 rogue that I have focused for 2 weapon fighting. I haven't found a good.resource for.rogue feats and builds. I really am looking for some tricks, tips, feats, and or prestige classes to make getting my sneak attacks in easier. My DM.much to.my chagrin has been making all of.ours mobs drop focus from our tank.and.focus on me.... even before I.engage in.melee. his argument is that the enemies know.better than.to.let a rogue.flank.them. any help is GREATLY appreciated

Crake
2012-12-16, 06:55 PM
Hey all, was hoping for some advice for someone new to d&d. My friends and I have been playing 3.5 for.a few months. I am a level 11 rogue that I have focused for 2 weapon fighting. I haven't found a good.resource for.rogue feats and builds. I really am looking for some tricks, tips, feats, and or prestige classes to make getting my sneak attacks in easier. My DM.much to.my chagrin has been making all of.ours mobs drop focus from our tank.and.focus on me.... even before I.engage in.melee. his argument is that the enemies know.better than.to.let a rogue.flank.them. any help is GREATLY appreciated

If you can get your DM to ignore the errata, 4 levels of invisible blade will let you feint in combat as a free action while wielding daggers. The errata limits it to once per round, presumably to stop you continuously feinting until you roll a 20. If your DM is concerned with that you could maybe convince him to limit it to one feint per attack.

Chilingsworth
2012-12-16, 06:59 PM
Well, if nothing else you could try to make yourself look less like a rogue. Get a hat of disguise, chose your appearance as, well, anything really. It should give you at least one round, since foes can't see through it outright until they interact with you.

Oh, also UMD some wands and scrolls. Improved Invisibility = foes always denied their dex bonus to you (and you get a bonus to attack to boot) Plus there are spells to make foes automatically flanked.

gorfnab
2012-12-16, 07:01 PM
The Rogue Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8711233)

What books do you have access to?
What is your current build for your character (feats, skills, ability scores, race)?

Crake
2012-12-16, 07:18 PM
Disguising yourself might not be a great option, if your DM plays monsters as not being tactically challenged, they won't likely let anyone try and flank them.

A better option would be to have someone either cast invisibility on you to let you sneak behind them, or to have a caster summon monsters in flanking positions for you.

Archmage1
2012-12-16, 07:38 PM
Ring of blink. 27k that lets you strike as an invisible(meaning SA) for 7 rounds on activation.

HunterOfJello
2012-12-16, 07:42 PM
Put on a robe and a wizard hat!

~

No seriously, if the enemies know what a rogue looks like and avoid it, then dress up like a wizard and confuse them until you've gotten some solid hits in.

There's also the option of a Swordsage dip (or take 2 feats) in order to get the Island of Blades stance. If you're in that stance, then whenever you and an ally are both adjacent to a target, you count as flanking.

~

As a Dm, I might have an enemy move out of flanking while being sneak attacked, but I would base the decision off of the creature's intelligence and/or wisdom score first. Unintelligent creatures would never move and stupid ones (or highly unwise ones) wouldn't either.

Casty
2012-12-16, 08:56 PM
Sorry didn't have my character sheet with me. He is a lvl 11 gnome rogue. 10 strength, 26 dex(23 base dex and a +3 enchant), 12 con, 15 intellect, 12 wisdom, and 13 charisma. He is up to the superior two.weapon fighting feat, and also has quick draw, weap focus dagger, weap finesse dagger, and the rogue ability opportunist. Weapons are a +2 and +1 dagger, along with a +1 shoftbow. For armor I have a piece the DM created, a dragon scale shirt, light armor, allowing 3 armor and +8 Max dex. I feel like.my.character is already pretty strong , its just I can't ever seem to.get.into.flanking or.get.my sneak.attacks. I had already looked at.g
tting.a ring.of.blinking and will.eventually, but my DM has a don't.exist in the world lol. We have access to many books and anything we.can pull off the net is.generally allowed as.long.as.its.out.of.an. official book. Sorry for the periods I'm on my cell, and thanks all for the help

Casty
2012-12-16, 09:11 PM
Sorry didn't have my character sheet with me. He is a lvl 11 gnome rogue. 10 strength, 26 dex(23 base dex and a +3 enchant), 12 con, 15 intellect, 12 wisdom, and 13 charisma. He is up to the superior two.weapon fighting feat, and also has quick draw, weap focus dagger, weap finesse dagger, and the rogue ability opportunist. Weapons are a +2 and +1 dagger, along with a +1 shoftbow. For armor I have a piece the DM created, a dragon scale shirt, light armor, allowing 3 armor and +8 Max dex. I feel like.my.character is already pretty strong , its just I can't ever seem to.get.into.flanking or.get.my sneak.attacks. I had already looked at.g
tting.a ring.of.blinking and will.eventually, but my DM has a don't.exist in the world lol. We have access to many books and anything we.can pull off the net is.generally allowed as.long.as.its.out.of.an. official book. Sorry for the periods I'm on my cell, and thanks all for the help

gorfnab
2012-12-16, 09:40 PM
2 levels of Swordsage (Tome of Battle) will get you access to Assassins Stance (more sneak attack) and allow you take the feat Shadowblade (Dex mod to damage with daggers and other shadow hand weapons). The feat Craven (Champions of Ruin) will get you a significant boost to sneak attack damage.

Casty
2012-12-16, 11:50 PM

Casty
2012-12-17, 12:09 AM

Chilingsworth
2012-12-17, 01:17 AM
I think your cell is repeat-sending your post for some reason.

Morbis Meh
2012-12-17, 04:38 PM
Also along with the lovely dip in swordsage you can take the cloak of deception manuever: use a swift action to gain greater invisibility for the entire round thus allowing you to nova without that pesky flanking requirement.