PDA

View Full Version : Is there a simple chart for magic items and wealth by level?

Ozreth
2012-12-17, 05:15 PM
Over the years I've handwaved and improved a lot of my treasure giving, but I'm thinking I want to try it closer to the book for once. However, the DMG is riddled with all sorts of charts that reference other charts and bla bla.

Is there a table out there that says "At level x a single character is expected to have x many magic items and x amount of currency"??

It dosen't have to be perfect, but a general idea would be nice. Thanks : )

Dr.Epic
2012-12-17, 05:17 PM
Well, in terms of wealth, the DMG has a table. Check the index. I forget what page it's on. In terms of magical items, just check the amount of currency at that level and make sure the magical items don't surpass the gold.

AttilaTheGeek
2012-12-17, 05:19 PM
I'm not sure if this chart also applies to 3.5, but the chart is here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/gamemastering.html) for Pathfinder, about halfway down the page. It also goes on to say:

Table: Character Wealth by Level can also be used to budget gear for characters starting above 1st level, such as a new character created to replace a dead one. Characters should spend no more than half their total wealth on any single item. For a balanced approach, PCs that are built after 1st level should spend no more than 25% of their wealth on weapons, 25% on armor and protective devices, 25% on other magic items, 15% on disposable items like potions, scrolls, and wands, and 10% on ordinary gear and coins. Different character types might spend their wealth differently than these percentages suggest; for example, arcane casters might spend very little on weapons but a great deal more on other magic items and disposable items.

eggs
2012-12-17, 05:27 PM
Doesn't the PHB2 have these, including gear specifics, in its "quick PC creation" chapter near the end?

(It's not good suggested gear, but its recommendations are pretty straightforward)

Keld Denar
2012-12-17, 05:38 PM
DMG, around page 135, has the WBL table.

Note, wealth is more of a guideline built into the CR system. If your PCs are much above WBL, they should be facing harder encounters for a similar challenge. If they are much below, they will have a much tougher time with standard challenges.

Note note, the CR system is kinda borked, so it in itself should be observed carefully.

Otherwise, the Magic Item Compendium has item level equivalence and recommendations for wealth similar to how 4e handles it.

TuggyNE
2012-12-17, 11:45 PM
I'm not sure if this chart also applies to 3.5, but the chart is here (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/gamemastering.html) for Pathfinder, about halfway down the page. It also goes on to say:

Turns out that PF WBL is substantially different from 3.5 WBL (often off by 10-20%, or maybe more). So probably not gonna be too helpful, except for the most general of overviews.

Talderas
2012-12-18, 07:31 AM
DMG, around page 135, has the WBL table.

Table 5-1, lower left hand of the page.