PDA

View Full Version : Improving a wildshape ranger?

Seer_of_Heart
2012-12-17, 05:18 PM
What are some methods that I can take to improve a wildshape ranger? This either can be by mixing classes and prestige classes or giving it some more bonuses. This is going to be for an epic game, so are there any good ideas to try? The DM said I could have some leeway in adding stuff/improving it because the other classes are tier 1/2 and this is considered a lowish tier 3 class.

mattie_p
2012-12-17, 05:27 PM
What direction do you want to take it? There are several good wild-shape focused prestige classes like master of many forms, warshaper, even planar shepherd (although it is a stretch to enter, can be done). Most of those don't really advance spellcasting though, so that will be a lesser focus for you. But consider natural spell.

If you are able to improve classes, see if you can add some spellcasting advancement. Then dip Druid 1 and advance that spellcasting while advancing your ranger wildshape.

Seer_of_Heart
2012-12-17, 05:45 PM
I was thinking having it mainly focus on wildshaping, I've heard of those classes but wasn't sure about them because I do like the abilities and flavour that is part of the ranger class.

Crake
2012-12-17, 05:57 PM
Wildshaping ranger 5/master of many forms 10 and then either warshaper 5 or natures warrior 5, you can take frozen wildshape at level 6, swift wildshape at level 9 (need 13 dex for this), dragon wildshape at level 12 (you'll need 19 wis for that though) then whatever you want from there.

You can take the no spell ranger variant which gives you a bonus feat at level 4 instead of spells, you'll need alertness as one of your feats for master of many forms entry.

If you're wondering why take dragon wildshape even though master of many forms gives you dragon form, the feat gives you extra abilities when you wildshape into any dragon. Even though the feat limits you to small and medium, master of many forms opens up larger dragon forms while the feat still lets you keep the extra abilities such as breath weapons and supernatural abilities. Frozen wildshape is nice once you unlock huge size, letting you turn into cryohydras for the rediculous amounts of attacks, while extraordinary wildshape from master of many forms lets you get its fast healing.

Also, shifter's speech at level 1 master of many forms is more useful than people realise. Being able to talk while wildshaped is actually a big deal.

gorfnab
2012-12-17, 09:33 PM
Mystic (Drg# 336) Wildshape (UA) Ranger 8 / Rogue 2/ Daggerspell Shaper 10