PDA

View Full Version : Please limit signature sizes.

Kaerou
2006-10-30, 08:37 PM
One concern i'm having with the new forums is the silly lengths some people are making their signatures, what with pictures, huge silly text or tens of stick avatars. Or a combination of.

I have seen a few members fill up almost my entire screen with silly pictures and jokes.. so really, my request is a simple one common to most forums.

Please impose a signature size limit.

Bookman
2006-10-30, 08:39 PM
I do believe it's partly so huge until they get the avvie situation fixed and then they'll change it back

Ego Slayer
2006-10-30, 08:59 PM
I like not having a character limit though we obviously do need a length limit.

Shhalahr Windrider
2006-10-30, 09:47 PM
^^
Right. The character limit always seemed to me to actually make life harder for the folks that try to keep their sigs unobrusive through proper formatting—those tags eat so much space, espescially when using tables (not that tables are available, yet).

And it's almost always the images that cause the real problems anyway. With TinyURL, you can disrupt things with just 35 characters and one freakin' huge image.

Anyway, it should be possible to restrict signature area to, say, 75 pixel height. The forum already includes similar tricks in how it handles various menus.

HempRope
2006-10-30, 09:58 PM
When I first jumped on these new boards, I messed around with my signature just to see if there was a length limit. There was one, but it was large, and it didn't include code.

Is there still any limit at all?

The Demented One
2006-10-30, 09:59 PM
I'm pretty sure vbcode doesn't include formatting tags in sig character limits, so I'm going to throw in my support for this one.

Ego Slayer
2006-10-30, 09:59 PM
The images can't be more than, say 150px high.

The Giant
2006-10-30, 11:41 PM
Once we fix the avatar issue, signature limits of some sort will be imposed. Until then, we didn't think it was fair to prevent people from displaying their stick figure art altogether.

Toxic Avenger
2006-10-30, 11:47 PM
One can also reduce the text in the sig to the minimum size.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-10-31, 04:41 AM
And there is a lovely little button in the CP user that allows you not to see them (I did notice a mod say this), and after the avatar issue there will be a decrease in size of the signatures rapidly.

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-10-31, 08:31 AM
And there is a lovely little button in the CP user that allows you not to see them (I did notice a mod say this), and after the avatar issue there will be a decrease in size of the signatures rapidly.
There's a check box for displaying signature in the lower right corner of the Quick Reply box that is by default checked, but can be unchecked. In the Advanced Reply mode, the same check box is located below the editing area under Additional Options > Miscellaneous Options.

Zherog
2006-10-31, 08:44 AM
There's a check box for displaying signature in the lower right corner of the Quick Reply box that is by default checked, but can be unchecked. In the Advanced Reply mode, the same check box is located below the editing area under Additional Options > Miscellaneous Options.

That's for displaying your signature on that specific post, not for other's sigs in the threads.

Roland St. Jude
2006-10-31, 09:18 AM

That's for displaying your signature on that specific post, not for other's sigs in the threads.

What Death is talking about, which you can read my post on here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26293&page=4), is...

The feature that that lets you avoid seeing any signatures. Go to User CP, then Edit Options. The third box down is "Thread Display Options" and there is a check box that you can uncheck, which will prevent you from seeing any sigs.

Azrael
2006-10-31, 09:57 AM
Despite the issue being addressed by Rich, I still feel the need to throw in my 2 cp.

Please limit signature size/length. Perhaps to a # of pixels as suggested above.

Sure, polite users can hide their signatures if their sig is longer than their post. But if you're the type to use that choice, you're not likely to be the side-scroll causing Sig-of-Doom type of user anyhow.

Sure, I can hide *everyone's* signatures. But to deal with a few bad apples, everyone's signature has to go away? There are still users with usefull and witty content in their signatures -- just look at Death's :smallbiggrin:. I don't wish to be deprived.

HempRope
2006-10-31, 10:03 AM
Well, I suppose you could block those users with insane sigs until a limit is imposed. If you don't read their posts, it's their own fault for having such huge sigs. :smalltongue:

Death, your friend the Reaper
2006-10-31, 10:07 AM
I thought for the first time I sigged someone, it ought to be a fellow connoisseur of souls.

Well, I suppose you could block those users with insane sigs until a limit is imposed. If you don't read their posts, it's their own fault for having such huge sigs. :smalltongue:

How big is to big excactly?

Tormsskull
2006-10-31, 10:17 AM
My suggestion is to eliminate pictures in sigs entirely. Allow people to post links to their picture galleries (either in the Arts and Crafts section or hosted offsite). I think that would reduce load time drastically as well as clean things up a lot.

Captain van der Decken
2006-10-31, 10:17 AM
So big that it stretches the page?

Gorbash Kazdar
2006-10-31, 11:12 AM
Gorbash Kazdar: As mentioned higher up in this thread, we have set the signature limit higher than normal for the time being due to the (temporary!) loss of custom avatars. Until the Avatar situation is resolved, the signature issue is a bit on the back burner. Once that is taken care of, we will take a look at signatures again. Sit tight and we'll come back around to this issue at the appropriate time. :smallwink: