PDA

View Full Version : (BoVD)Evil Brand + Lichloved (tweak, these feats not for the faint of heart)

Cipher Stars
2012-12-18, 02:06 AM
Evil Brand
[Vile]
The character is physically marked forever as a servant of an evil power greater than herself or as a villain who does not care who knows that she seeks only death, destruction, and misery for others. The symbol is unquestionable in its perversity, depicting a depravity so unthinkable that all who see it know beyond a doubt that the bearer is forever in the sway of the blackest powers.
Prerequisite
Required for
Lichloved (BV) ,
Benefit
Creatures automatically recognize the symbol now emblazoned upon the character as a sign of her utter depravity or discipleship to a powerful patron, although the specific identity of the patron is not revealed without a sufficient Religion, or if appropriate an Arcana skill check dependent on who the patron is (Usually outside of player control). She gains a +2 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy checks made against evil creatures, and to Intimidate checks made against good creatures.
The evil brand functions as a holy symbol for evil deities and grants the eschew materials feat for casting [evil] or [necromancy] spells.
Special: Every move you make, every step you take, your actions are known to the patron of the mark who always knows your character level, alignment, and what you've been up to.

Lichloved
[Vile]
By repeatedly committing certain disturbing acts with the undead, the character gains dread powers.
Prerequisite
Evil Brand, Must have... cuddled... with the dead on at minimum ten different occasions.
Benefit
Mindless undead see the character as an undead creature, and will not attack unprovoked. Having been so exposed to death or the undeath, he gains a +5 circumstance bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and disease.

NeoSeraphi
2012-12-18, 02:06 PM
Good feats. A +5 bonus to every save that you care about is really nice, but it's well-earned and flavorful. These feats are now worth taking for a big bad.

Grelna the Blue
2012-12-18, 02:42 PM
Evil Brand
[Vile]
The character is physically marked forever as a servant of an evil power greater than herself or as a villain who does not care who knows that she seeks only death, destruction, and misery for others. The symbol is unquestionable in its perversity, depicting a depravity so unthinkable that all who see it know beyond a doubt that the bearer is forever in the sway of the blackest powers.
Prerequisite
Required for
Lichloved (BV) ,
Benefit
Creatures automatically recognize the symbol now emblazoned upon the character as a sign of her utter depravity or discipleship to a powerful patron, although the specific identity of the patron is not revealed. She gains a +2 circumstance bonus on Diplomacy checks made against evil creatures, and to Intimidate checks made against good creatures.
The evil brand functions as a holy symbol for evil deities and grants the eschew materials feat for casting [evil] or [necromancy] spells.

I think that this part, "although the specific identity of the patron is not revealed," is problematic. If the PC has an effective holy symbol tattooed or branded upon himself that affects casting, a successful Knowledge: Religion or Knowledge: Arcana check should be able to identify with which religion it is associated. With more obscure patrons, it might take a relatively high check, but it still seems as if it should be possible.

Aside from that, I think this one is well-balanced.

Lichloved
[Vile]
By repeatedly committing certain disturbing acts with the undead, the character gains dread powers.
Prerequisite
Evil Brand
Benefit
Mindless undead see the character as an undead creature, and will not attack unprovoked. Having been so exposed to death or the undeath, he gains a +5 circumstance bonus on saving throws against mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and disease.

I think a +5 bonus is too high. I cannot call to mind other feats granting bonuses that high against such a range of effects. +2 or +3 seems more appropriate.

The Tygre
2012-12-18, 03:47 PM
Seriously, Cipher. You are my Oprah.

Cipher Stars
2012-12-18, 04:36 PM
Good feats. A +5 bonus to every save that you care about is really nice, but it's well-earned and flavorful. These feats are now worth taking for a big bad.
Thank you.

Seriously, Cipher. You are my Oprah.
XD

I think that this part, "although the specific identity of the patron is not revealed," is problematic. If the PC has an effective holy symbol tattooed or branded upon himself that affects casting, a successful Knowledge: Religion or Knowledge: Arcana check should be able to identify with which religion it is associated. With more obscure patrons, it might take a relatively high check, but it still seems as if it should be possible.

Mm. True. Religion or Arcana checks should identify the patron. I'll make a note of that, thanks.

I think a +5 bonus is too high. I cannot call to mind other feats granting bonuses that high against such a range of effects. +2 or +3 seems more appropriate.
I find it perfectly situated in a nice sweet spot. You have to pay two feats for the benefit in addition to violating corpses. :smalleek:

Grimsage Matt
2012-12-18, 05:11 PM
I like that book more and more:smallbiggrin:

bobthe6th
2012-12-18, 06:45 PM
the fact necromancers tend to have Slaymates around makes the feat even creepier...

Wyntonian
2012-12-18, 07:33 PM
Does Eschew Materials also count for costly components? Because most of the undead-creating spells are [evil] and require that onyx...

Cipher Stars
2012-12-18, 08:03 PM
Does Eschew Materials also count for costly components? Because most of the undead-creating spells are [evil] and require that onyx...

unfortunately no :P It's just like the eschew materials feat, just only for the spells mentioned.

absolmorph
2012-12-18, 10:05 PM
the fact necromancers tend to have Slaymates around makes the feat even creepier...
Welp, I'm outta here.

Good feats, though I agree with Grelna that a +3 might be more balanced. If I'm going to make a character that brands himself with the symbol of an evil being, violating corpses isn't something they'll lose sleep over.

Amechra
2012-12-19, 04:35 AM
I half expected you to change Lichloved to a Corpsecrafter feat...

You know, so that both parties can give consent?

To the cuddling and body piercings, because that is what you were talking about when you were saying disturbing acts, yes?

:smallwink:

Cipher Stars
2012-12-19, 08:22 AM
I half expected you to change Lichloved to a Corpsecrafter feat...

You know, so that both parties can give consent?

To the cuddling and body piercings, because that is what you were talking about when you were saying disturbing acts, yes?

:smallwink:

Cuddling a corpse, what's more disturbing then that :smalleek:

I'm not familiar enough with corpsecrafter v,..,v

Amechra
2012-12-19, 08:35 AM
Corpsecrafter is a feat chain that modifies any undead you raise through Animate Dead.

Because you obviously want your skeletons and zombies to be able to consent to the cuddling (all the best cuddling requires all parties to be on board!), don't you?

Cipher Stars
2012-12-19, 08:43 AM
Corpsecrafter is a feat chain that modifies any undead you raise through Animate Dead.

Because you obviously want your skeletons and zombies to be able to consent to the cuddling (all the best cuddling requires all parties to be on board!), don't you?

I don't think asking permission is the point of these imposed necro-cuddles.

But.. perhaps using corpsecrafter stuff to lead up to it as an alternative prerequisite for the not-so-blackened-soul could be useful.
But as I said, I dont't know corpsecrafter well enough. I know them. I've read them a bit. Don't remember much.

absolmorph
2012-12-19, 11:44 AM
I don't think asking permission is the point of these imposed necro-cuddles.

But.. perhaps using corpsecrafter stuff to lead up to it as an alternative prerequisite for the not-so-blackened-soul could be useful.
But as I said, I dont't know corpsecrafter well enough. I know them. I've read them a bit. Don't remember much.
They're all solid feats for any necromancer who intends to be raising corpses.

Also, Lich-Loved can technically be taken be any character with Evil Brand right now, regardless of how intimate they've been with a corpse. I didn't quite notice that earlier.

Debihuman
2012-12-19, 11:53 AM
Bravo Cypher!

It appears that the actual prerequisite for Evil Brand is missing. Saying that it is a prerequisite for Lichloved is not an actual prerequisite. I believe the requirement is that you have to be the servant of an evil power.

Also it should have a Special category so you know what happens if you stop serving the evil power or become "greater" than the power you serve. Sounds ominous doesn't it?

Debby

Cipher Stars
2012-12-19, 12:02 PM
Also, Lich-Loved can technically be taken be any character with Evil Brand right now, regardless of how intimate they've been with a corpse. I didn't quite notice that earlier.

B
It appears that the actual prerequisite for Evil Brand is missing. Saying that it is a prerequisite for Lichloved is not an actual prerequisite. I believe the requirement is that you have to be the servant of an evil power.

Such is how the feats themselves were. But I might as well change them as well.

absolmorph
2012-12-19, 12:12 PM
Such is how the feats themselves were. But I might as well change them as well.
Yes, that's how the originals were. But these are yours!
You can play with and expand on them all you want!

awa
2012-12-19, 06:39 PM
remember vampire are undead to.

Debihuman
2012-12-21, 02:20 PM
I think you should have mentioned initially that both Evil Brand and Lichloved are feats found in the Book of Vile Darkness, and then stated exactly what changes to the originals you are making.

For example, the Evil Brand feat from BoVD does not list a prerequisite at all. However, since you now have a evil patron that stalks you, I would think having said patron would be required.

I have to admit, I now have the Police's song "Every Breath You Take" as an earworm now because of your addition to the feat.

The original Lichloved feat only required one to act "repeatedly", it did not mention a set number. How did you arrive at 10?

Furthermore the original of that feat only gives you a +1 circumstance bonus to saving throws on mind-affecting effects, poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, and disease.

If you are going to tweak it, then I recommend it be a +5 circumstance bonus to one of those not all of them instead and that you can take the feat multiple times but each time you must apply it to a new item.

I just have to say that I wish I'd had known about this feat when I was writing my coven of witches for Ravenloft.

Debby

Cipher Stars
2012-12-21, 02:56 PM
I think you should have mentioned initially that both Evil Brand and Lichloved are feats found in the Book of Vile Darkness, and then stated exactly what changes to the originals you are making.

Surely you must be mistaking me for someone with that kind of an attention span. *Stares at a random flower nearby* What were we talking about?

For example, the Evil Brand feat from BoVD does not list a prerequisite at all. However, since you now have a evil patron that stalks you, I would think having said patron would be required.

It wouldn't be required at all, by virtue of the feat do you aquire such a stalker. Congrats, he sees you when you sleep... knows when you're awake... he knows if you've been naughty, or nice. Further more, he knows that little fetish of yours, congrats on that by the way. I didn't know a person could do such a thing, quite amazing really the things you did with your body. Reminds of of one of those super flexible acrobats for some reason.

The original Lichloved feat only required one to act "repeatedly", it did not mention a set number. How did you arrive at 10?

10 is a fair number for a minimum. "Repeatedly" could have been taken as three times, or even just twice.
Ten is a nice number for a whole harem of fleshybits.

I just have to say that I wish I'd had known about this feat when I was writing my coven of witches for Ravenloft.
Ravenloft is quite a nice place for these.

Debihuman
2012-12-21, 10:14 PM
Surely you must be mistaking me for someone with that kind of an attention span. *Stares at a random flower nearby* What were we talking about?

Lol! I don't always agree with you but I do love to read your stuff.

It wouldn't be required at all, by virtue of the feat do you acquire such a stalker. Congrats, he sees you when you sleep... knows when you're awake... he knows if you've been naughty, or nice. Further more, he knows that little fetish of yours, congrats on that by the way. I didn't know a person could do such a thing, quite amazing really the things you did with your body. Reminds of of one of those super flexible acrobats for some reason.

So wrong....but yes. I would imagine the Krampas more than Santa going with the evil entity. Santa is just too jolly and he really needs to lay off the cookies.

10 is a fair number for a minimum. "Repeatedly" could have been taken as three times, or even just twice. Ten is a nice number for a whole harem of fleshybits.

Just wondered.

Ravenloft is quite a nice place for these.

Yes it is. I will have to find a way to incorporate this for an NPC I hadn't planned on statting, though now I have a reason to.

Debby