PDA

View Full Version : Inside the dragon's belly

Uncle Pine
2012-12-18, 02:43 AM
During the last session I had with my players they defeated a young adult black dragon along with her troll servants. That was a really cool boss fight, but then I thought: "How come dragons don't have Swallow Whole?". This doesn't make much sense to me. Dragons are big, scary and they have really big stomachs. They are also similar to snakes in some way, and snakes do have Swallow Whole.
So, what's your opinion? Would Swallow Whole be enough to justify a +1 CR adjustment?

Chilingsworth
2012-12-18, 03:00 AM
Get a copy of Draconomicon. There's a feat (well, actually it's the culmination of a feat chain) for that.

DigoDragon
2012-12-18, 08:48 AM
"How come dragons don't have Swallow Whole?"

The joke I generally use with my players is "Because they don't eat junk food". :smallbiggrin: But I echo what Chilingsworth said. Draconomicon has options for you.

INoKnowNames
2012-12-18, 09:19 AM
I don't see why such options are needed... You'd think being 5 times bigger than most of your targets and able to bite them and throw them away would mean you could just as easily swallow them inside you... I wonder if the Giant's Dragons had to take such feats...

soveliss24
2012-12-21, 06:33 AM
I've heard it proposed that the lack of the ability is simply because True Dragons tend to be too intelligent/wise to want to use an ability that subjects them to easy harm. Swallow Whole is notorious for making lots of creatures MUCH less deadly from inside than outside :smalltongue:

That said, when DMing relatively low-power games I usually give Huge and larger dragons the aforementioned feat (Snatch and Swallow) as a bonus feat. Because it's just fun (and funny) to use.

White_Drake
2012-12-21, 07:28 AM
What about whites? They can be pretty stupid.

Uncle Pine
2012-12-21, 08:03 AM
I've heard it proposed that the lack of the ability is simply because True Dragons tend to be too intelligent/wise to want to use an ability that subjects them to easy harm. Swallow Whole is notorious for making lots of creatures MUCH less deadly from inside than outside :smalltongue:

That said, when DMing relatively low-power games I usually give Huge and larger dragons the aforementioned feat (Snatch and Swallow) as a bonus feat. Because it's just fun (and funny) to use.

Actually the big barbarian that usually swings his deadly greatsword IS useless if swallowed because he can only use light weapons. This makes Swallow Whole really useful in said situations.

soveliss24
2012-12-21, 10:36 AM
Actually the big barbarian that usually swings his deadly greatsword IS useless if swallowed because he can only use light weapons. This makes Swallow Whole really useful in said situations.

Can be countered by wearing Armor Spikes/Spiked Gauntlets, or having the Knife Fighter feat if your DM allows it. But it's amazing how many players assume they're safe from grapples just by having a light weapon on their character sheet. :smallbiggrin:

Barb: "I draw my *insert tiny stabby thing here*."
DM: "Ok, roll Grapple."
Barb: "What? That's not how that works..." [looks at Grapple rules]
"Um... Little help here guys? :smallredface:"