PDA

View Full Version : Making each coin worth more without disrupting WBL (3.5/PF)

Seharvepernfan
2012-12-18, 06:40 AM
One thing I dislike about D&D is the fact that gold isn't really worth too much. Seriously, 2 gold coins for a leather backpack? Why bother mining the stuff? Things like prospecters would never exist in a D&D world.

So, I had an idea. Why not increase the value of each coin to the next step up?

A copper is now worth 1sp,
a silver is now worth 1gp,
a gold is now worth 1pp,
and platinum coins don't exist.

The prices in the books don't change - a longsword still costs "15gp", but now you are paying for it with 15 silvers, not gold. Fifteen actual gold coins would buy you ten longswords. For things that are worth less than an sp, like a torch, are now bought with bartering instead of coins, unless bought in bulk.

I personally don't know if this is realistic, but I like it better. It's simpler, easier on the characters' backs, and easier on the players' pencils.

Thoughts?

pffh
2012-12-18, 06:45 AM
Things worht less then a sp could also be paid for with part of a coin. Cutting a coin into two, four or eight parts used to be fairly common.

Seharvepernfan
2012-12-18, 07:04 AM
Things worht less then a sp could also be paid for with part of a coin. Cutting a coin into two, four or eight parts used to be fairly common.

Ahh, yes, of course. Good idea!

hymer
2012-12-18, 07:18 AM
I usually don't go with 1gp is always 1 coin. So when in my group they/we find 200gp, we don't take that as finding twohundred coins. It's not like that with modern currencies, why should it be in a constructed fantasy world if we don't want it?

That said, do note that an expert in his field will be earning 1gp per week in wages. 2gp is two weeks' worth of comfortable middle class income.

Totally Guy
2012-12-18, 07:54 AM
That's exactly what Lamentations of the Flame Princess does. All the lists are in silver pieces and silver pieces aquired aligns with experience points.

White_Drake
2012-12-18, 10:43 AM
So basically you're switching to a silver piece standard as opposed to gold?

LibraryOgre
2012-12-18, 11:46 AM
Hackmaster does the silver standard as well.

Seharvepernfan
2012-12-18, 12:19 PM
So basically you're switching to a silver piece standard as opposed to gold?

I didn't know it was called that, but yes, I suppose.

Grod_The_Giant
2012-12-18, 12:23 PM
I think the bigger problem is with D&D's mundane economy, not with the gold standard as such...

Flasaro
2012-12-18, 02:05 PM
I did this in my game and it works fine until you have to explain it to someone who is new to the game itself

Grinner
2012-12-18, 02:49 PM
I think the bigger problem is with D&D's mundane economy, not with the gold standard as such...

I agree.

The root flaw in the system is that the design philosophy assumes two opposing positions and, being generic in function, fails to provide sufficient justification for the results.

On one hand D&D 3.5 tries to encourage a realistic simulation of a medieval fantasy economy, but for players, wealth functions more as an abstraction of power. When the players get above the sixth level or so, things get out of hand.

White_Drake
2012-12-19, 10:39 AM
How would you handle craft, profession, and perform rules? I think it would make sense to keep the earnings for profession on a gold piece standard, so non-adventurers wouldn't be in a constant struggle to keep from starving to death.

I agree that D&D magic v. Mundane economy is absurd, but that would require a much more comprehensive rework. I think that you would have to entirely alter the game to drastically reduce WBL to have it make sense.