PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Living Spells

Vaz
2012-12-18, 09:44 AM
I guess I'm asking a lot of questions recently.

Anyway; what are your favourite Living Spell combinations you have come up against?

I have found it quote hard to come up with "interesting" spells amd combinations without them ending up as being skyhigh.

In regards to things like Call Lightning, how would Engulf work with something like that which is empowered by an outside event (eg from the storm clouds).

rockdeworld
2012-12-18, 10:42 AM
By RAW, if the ooze is outside in a stormy area, Living Call Lightning deals 3d10 instead of 3d6. For my own game, I'd probably run with that, saying the electricity in the air makes the ooze more dangerous.

I haven't seen any living spells, so I won't comment on that part of the topic.

Runestar
2012-12-18, 10:57 AM
Living phantasmal horror. The PCs keep seeing their own worst fears.

Try pairing them with creatures. Eg: living glitterdust to blind PCs, leaving them vulnerable to sneak attack.

You want to be annoying, disjunction. :smallamused:

Dungeonscape has the sentryooze template, granting oozes 2int and +10cha for just +1cr (which works to a +5 to spell save dcd)). If you need a justification as to why otherwise-mindless oozes are collaborating with people...:smallbiggrin:

The Viscount
2012-12-18, 11:54 AM
I'm a fan of living oozepuppet for the control chain abilities and the sheer "inception-ness" of it.

AuraTwilight
2012-12-18, 02:03 PM
I once dicked a group over with a Living Wish Spell.

In fairness, they were playing epic rules by that point.

Mithril Leaf
2012-12-18, 06:08 PM
I once dicked a group over with a Living Wish Spell.

In fairness, they were playing epic rules by that point.

It's times like this that the Slime domain comes in handy.:smallamused:

Vaz
2012-12-18, 06:21 PM
How would giving the Party a wish for every time they are slammed by an ooze be an effective encounter?

They are affected by the spells effect; in the event of a Direct Damage, they take damage. I suppose you could houserule that the Wish is wished by the ooze; but its mindless; although you could engulf, recreate hold monster, then learn true name, then recreate the un-name spell or whatever its called from ToM.

And yes I had seen the Sentry ooze; I had been definately considering it as a sort of "attack dog". I just need a vaguely interesting spell or combination; but the restrictions are fairly tight (it must have an area and not be targetted being the most annoying).

Edit; in Dragonlance; Deep Freeze; although it is "creature touched" I think I might just overlook this; 6d6 subdual, and -4 penalty to attacks, saves and spells, each round taking subdual damage again. Perhaps have the BBEG collecting Ice Sculptures of enemies as a result of his Living Deep Freezes. What spells are their which increase penalties to Fortitude or -Con?

Alternatively; Dalamar Lightning Lance - 9d6 Impact and 30d6 Electricity damage could put the halt on anybodies day; 216.5 Average Damage.

AuraTwilight
2012-12-18, 08:57 PM
How would giving the Party a wish for every time they are slammed by an ooze be an effective encounter?

They are affected by the spells effect; in the event of a Direct Damage, they take damage. I suppose you could houserule that the Wish is wished by the ooze; but its mindless

Living Spells in my campaign worlds are sentient.

Malroth
2012-12-19, 05:31 AM
Living Ice Assasian :D

GreenSerpent
2012-12-19, 08:37 AM

Let's not go there.

Uncle Pine
2012-12-19, 09:10 AM
I always found Living Summon Monster really interesting. That's because on the first round you can just fill the ooze squares with harmless creatures, engulf them and during the next round spam Summon Monster spells. Note that this works with every Summon Monster spell, because you can always summon a bunch of creature from a lower-level list.

D4rtagnan
2012-12-19, 09:11 AM
Living tasha's hideous laughter...just because it funny.

ShurikVch
2012-12-19, 10:28 AM

I always found Living Summon Monster really interesting. That's because on the first round you can just fill the ooze squares with harmless creatures, engulf them and during the next round spam Summon Monster spells. Note that this works with every Summon Monster spell, because you can always summon a bunch of creature from a lower-level list.

By RAW "Living Spell" not applicable to spells which make creatures... :smallsigh:

Eric Scott
2012-12-19, 10:44 AM
Living Obedient Avalanche... for those who want to take out buildings...

Cruiser1
2012-12-19, 01:54 PM
It's times like this that the Slime domain comes in handy.:smallamused:
The Thirst domain (Sandstorm) also allows you to rebuke or command Ooze creatures. :smallsmile:

Seharvepernfan
2012-12-19, 02:09 PM
[QUOTE=Vaz;14398846]
And yes I had seen the Sentry ooze; I had been definately considering it as a sort of "attack dog". QUOTE]

I had an idea a while back to use sentry living lights as watchdog/thief-catchers at a rich merchants' estate. Glitterdust could also work.

Uncle Pine
2012-12-19, 02:22 PM
By RAW "Living Spell" not applicable to spells which make creatures... :smallsigh:

My bad, I was away from books and I simply tried to recall the whole thing from another tread. You are completely right.

Larkas
2012-12-19, 02:29 PM

We have the summoning ooze (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040905a&page=5) for that. :smallwink:

Andreaz
2012-12-19, 02:39 PM
Can Wail of the Banshee be given life? It's an interesting setup...You are at a corner of the dungeon when you hear a faint wail. Then all of a sudden it's right there bursting through your ears and piercing your heart out.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-19, 02:46 PM
We have the summoning ooze (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ex/20040905a&page=5) for that. :smallwink:

Wow, I knew Monster Manual 3 had a lot of weird ones, but that is rather . . . esoteric, no?

Larkas
2012-12-19, 02:55 PM
Wow, I knew Monster Manual 3 had a lot of weird ones, but that is rather . . . esoteric, no?

Esoteric is EXACTLY the word for it. :smallamused:

DruchiiConversion
2012-12-19, 07:35 PM
I think there's a passable chance that I might be the only person to have ever used Living Hold Portals as monsters. The situation was a maze of doors with roving Living Cloudkills, but those little Hold Portals really got in the way!

terminusdrop321
2012-12-19, 08:07 PM
Living Fimbulwinter?

(frostburn)

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2012-12-19, 08:49 PM
Keep in mind you can put multiple spells, and even multiples of the same spell, on a living spell. It makes their CR higher, but stacking on low level spells on a moderate CR ooze won't make much of a difference. You can also use metamagic versions of spells.

Example:
Darkness of the Deeps
Living Spell (Practical Fell Frighten Practical Split Ray Moilian Ray of Exhaustion, Practical Fell Frighten Moilian Ray of Enfeeblement, Kelpstrand)
Spell levels 5, 2, 2; Caster level 9

Large Ooze
Hit Dice: 9d10+18 (67 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (–1 size, +1 Dex, +5 deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+12
Attack: Slam +7 melee (1d6+3 plus spell effects)
Full Attack: Slam +7 melee (1d6+3 plus spell effects)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell effects, engulf
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., damage reduction 10/magic, ooze traits, spell resistance 19
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +9
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 12, Con 15, Int —, Wis 12, Cha 15
Skills: —
Feats: —
Environment: Any aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

A Darkness of the Deeps appears to be a ball of black tar filled with dead seaweed and seafloor debris. The first one was was created during a battle between a druid and an undead necromancer for control over a magical anomaly on the seafloor.

Spell Effects (Su): A creature hit by a Darkness of the Deeps' slam attack or engulfed by it is subject to the following:
Practical Metamagic Fell Frighten, Practical Metamagic Split Ray, Moilian (per Black Lore of Moil) Ray of Exhaustion: The subject takes 3d6 negative energy damage (Fort DC 16 half), and a subject damaged by this is also Shaken for 1 minute. The subject again takes 3d6 negative energy damage (Fort DC 16 half), and a subject damaged by this is also Shaken for 1 minute. The subject is also Exhausted for nine minutes. Note that a subject who is already shaken who would become shaken again is instead frightened. An escalated fear effect lasts for the longest remaining duration of any of the fear effects that contributed to the escalated condition.

Practical Metamagic Fell Frighten, Moilian (per Black Lore of Moil) Ray of Enfeeblement: The subject takes a penalty to Strength equal to 1d6+4 for nine minutes. The subject’s Strength score cannot drop below 1. The subject also takes 1d6 negative energy damage, and a subject damaged by this is also Shaken for 1 minute. Note that a subject who is already shaken who would become shaken again is instead frightened, and a subject who is already frightened who would become shaken or frightened again is instead panicked. An escalated fear effect lasts for the longest remaining duration of any of the fear effects that contributed to the escalated condition.

Kelpstrand: On a successful melee attack or engulf the ooze immediately makes an opposed grapple check at +17 (or +21 if within 300 feet of the ocean) against the subject as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity. If it succeeds, the subject becomes entangled in the long, thick strands of kelp from within the ooze's body and is grappled. The ooze itself is not considered grappling, and does not remain attached to the kelp that has entangled its opponent. The kelp lasts for nine rounds, and the subject can attempt to escape each round by making a successful grapple or escape artist check against the kelp's grapple check. A creature grappled by multiple kelpstrands has to make separate grapple or escape artist checks against each kelpstrand currently grappling it to escape.

Engulf (Ex): A Darkness of the Deeps can flow around creatures that fit within its space as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The Darkness of the Deeps merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against a Darkness of the Deeps, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 17 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the ooze moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the Darkness of the Deeps' spell effects and are considered to be grappled.

vartan
2012-12-19, 09:47 PM
Living prestidigitation could be helpful.

Larkas
2012-12-19, 10:08 PM
It might be interesting to check these (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/archeb/ls).

rockdeworld
2012-12-19, 10:44 PM
Keep in mind you can put multiple spells, and even multiples of the same spell, on a living spell. It makes their CR higher, but stacking on low level spells on a moderate CR ooze won't make much of a difference. You can also use metamagic versions of spells.

Example:
Darkness of the Deeps
Living Spell (Practical Fell Frighten Practical Split Ray Moilian Ray of Exhaustion, Practical Fell Frighten Moilian Ray of Enfeeblement, Kelpstrand)
Spell levels 5, 2, 2; Caster level 9

Large Ooze
Hit Dice: 9d10+18 (67 hp)
Initiative: +1
Speed: 20 ft. (4 squares)
Armor Class: 15 (–1 size, +1 Dex, +5 deflection), touch 15, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +6/+12
Attack: Slam +7 melee (1d6+3 plus spell effects)
Full Attack: Slam +7 melee (1d6+3 plus spell effects)
Space/Reach: 10 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks: Spell effects, engulf
Special Qualities: Blindsight 60 ft., damage reduction 10/magic, ooze traits, spell resistance 19
Saves: Fort +10, Ref +9, Will +9
Abilities: Str 15, Dex 12, Con 15, Int —, Wis 12, Cha 15
Skills: —
Feats: —
Environment: Any aquatic
Organization: Solitary
Challenge Rating: 11
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

A Darkness of the Deeps appears to be a ball of black tar filled with dead seaweed and seafloor debris. The first one was was created during a battle between a druid and an undead necromancer for control over a magical anomaly on the seafloor.

Spell Effects (Su): A creature hit by a Darkness of the Deeps' slam attack or engulfed by it is subject to the following:
Practical Metamagic Fell Frighten, Practical Metamagic Split Ray, Moilian (per Black Lore of Moil) Ray of Exhaustion: The subject takes 3d6 negative energy damage (Fort DC 16 half), and a subject damaged by this is also Shaken for 1 minute. The subject again takes 3d6 negative energy damage (Fort DC 16 half), and a subject damaged by this is also Shaken for 1 minute. The subject is also Exhausted for nine minutes. Note that a subject who is already shaken who would become shaken again is instead frightened. An escalated fear effect lasts for the longest remaining duration of any of the fear effects that contributed to the escalated condition.

Practical Metamagic Fell Frighten, Moilian (per Black Lore of Moil) Ray of Enfeeblement: The subject takes a penalty to Strength equal to 1d6+4 for nine minutes. The subject’s Strength score cannot drop below 1. The subject also takes 1d6 negative energy damage, and a subject damaged by this is also Shaken for 1 minute. Note that a subject who is already shaken who would become shaken again is instead frightened, and a subject who is already frightened who would become shaken or frightened again is instead panicked. An escalated fear effect lasts for the longest remaining duration of any of the fear effects that contributed to the escalated condition.

Kelpstrand: On a successful melee attack or engulf the ooze immediately makes an opposed grapple check at +17 (or +21 if within 300 feet of the ocean) against the subject as a free action without provoking attacks of opportunity. If it succeeds, the subject becomes entangled in the long, thick strands of kelp from within the ooze's body and is grappled. The ooze itself is not considered grappling, and does not remain attached to the kelp that has entangled its opponent. The kelp lasts for nine rounds, and the subject can attempt to escape each round by making a successful grapple or escape artist check against the kelp's grapple check. A creature grappled by multiple kelpstrands has to make separate grapple or escape artist checks against each kelpstrand currently grappling it to escape.

Engulf (Ex): A Darkness of the Deeps can flow around creatures that fit within its space as a standard action. It cannot make a slam attack during a round in which it engulfs. The Darkness of the Deeps merely has to move over the opponents, affecting as many as it can cover. Opponents can make attacks of opportunity against a Darkness of the Deeps, but if they do so they are not entitled to a saving throw. Those who do not attempt attacks of opportunity must succeed on a DC 17 Reflex save or be engulfed; on a success, they are pushed back or aside (opponent’s choice) as the ooze moves forward. Engulfed creatures are subject to the Darkness of the Deeps' spell effects and are considered to be grappled.
That's terrifying.

Just for fun, I imagine a Living Create Food and Water like a helpful dog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crItejrjYb0&t=1m28s), chasing after people trying to give them something to eat.

Eric Scott
2012-12-19, 11:05 PM
Living Snow Wave...

terminusdrop321
2012-12-19, 11:56 PM
A living invisibility would be fun

TuggyNE
2012-12-20, 01:04 AM

With Invisible Spell applied, of course.

More seriously, assuming metamagic does work, stuff Explosive Spell on e.g. burning hands and have the ooze kick people away (?).

Zale
2012-12-20, 09:01 AM

So that it turns anything it hits with it's slam attack invisible?

I guess if you could control one and have it attack you..

But that seems like a very roundabout way of getting Invisibility.

Kazyan
2012-12-20, 09:45 AM
Living Antimagic Field. "Nyeh."

Ravens_cry
2012-12-20, 12:27 PM
Just for fun, I imagine a Living Create Food and Water like a helpful dog (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crItejrjYb0&t=1m28s), chasing after people trying to give them something to eat.
Given the nature of the food the most common magic item (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#sustainingSpoon) that uses 'create food and water' creates, if it's like a dog, well, it's like a dog vomiting on the floor and expecting you to eat it.:smallyuk:

EpsilRon
2012-12-21, 09:11 AM
It may not be the most interesting but I've always liked living heal, remove curse, cure light wounds. I've used them as "Medical Equipment" for more affluent and magical of nations.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-21, 12:22 PM
It may not be the most interesting but I've always liked living heal, remove curse, cure light wounds. I've used them as "Medical Equipment" for more affluent and magical of nations.
Cooing softly as their pseudopods move over you, your wounds healing at their touch, sounds creepy and cute at the same time.

Toy Killer
2012-12-21, 12:29 PM
Cooing softly as their pseudopods move over you, your wounds healing at their touch, sounds creepy and cute at the same time.

Kinda reminds me of the albino in Princess bride, personally. You know he's not the good guy, he's holding you prisoner and... tending to your wounds. Granted it's to be tortured, but you know, you can't hate the albino for it.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-21, 04:48 PM
Kinda reminds me of the albino in Princess bride, personally. You know he's not the good guy, he's holding you prisoner and... tending to your wounds. Granted it's to be tortured, but you know, you can't hate the albino for it.
Even worse than that as he is an intelligent creature, while the ooze, who I imagine to looking like the pokemon Ditto, would not know it is helping a torturer; it is just happy to do what it does best, healing people.

Lonely Tylenol
2012-12-21, 05:57 PM
Living Infernal Wound/Call of Stone is basically an ooze that creates a slow, creeping necrosis-like disease that slowly eats away at its target's life force while turning them into inanimate stone. The catastrophe which created it may itself be fascinating, as well (in my case, it was a failed attempt to create the Philosopher's Stone, because I am subconsciously completely unoriginal).

Living Bladeweave is interesting as well, when mixed with another spell (such as Sensory Deprivation or Burning Blood, or something else). Gives it that "magical contaminant" feel very well.

Toy Killer
2012-12-21, 06:34 PM
I always thought a group of three living Mind Fogs would be an interesting encounter. Simply relying on the idea that eventually someone has to a roll a one. Combine it with feeblemind spell for extra mage hunting capacity.

Aurenthal
2012-12-21, 09:38 PM
Living Sleep (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/sleep.htm), the terror of your non-elf low level party. :smallwink:

Also, RAW could a Living Shapechange (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shapechange.htm) exist?

And how would a Living Symbol of Death (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/symbolOfDeath.htm) work?

Larkas
2012-12-21, 10:41 PM
What about staples, like Black Tentacles, Entangle and Grease? Would they make nice living spells?

rockdeworld
2012-12-22, 11:29 AM
Also, RAW could a Living Shapechange (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/shapechange.htm) exist?

And how would a Living Symbol of Death (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/symbolOfDeath.htm) work?
RAW, no, because Shapechange doesn't have an Area or Effect.

Living Symbol of Death puts a symbol of death on whatever it hits with a slam attack, and somewhere on whatever it engulfs. Its triggering condition is set when the caster creates the living spell.

Feralventas
2012-12-22, 09:28 PM
I've wanted for a long time to play as a living spell ooze, after a reasonable level adjustment that functioned off of the highest illusion spell it knows.

While not knowing that it is an illusion spell. Every time it would've confronted with its nature, the spell it's based off of would go down a level as it begins to make will saves against itself.

If it reaches epic levels it might be able to Awaken itself, but until then it would only ever appear to have personality and a sense of self.

Doorhandle
2012-12-23, 12:55 AM
Let's not go there.

Let's go there right now. :smallbiggrin:

Cisturn
2012-12-23, 01:03 AM
Living Shivering Touch would make my party weak at the knees!

dungeonnerd
2012-12-23, 01:12 AM
There's a spell (Dragon 305 I believe) called awaken ooze, which means these spells can now be characters, or BBEG, or simple merchants....

So what about an Awakened Heal spell with levels of Cleric that runs the Temple of Pelor in the capital?

Or an Awakened Flesh to Stone that works as a "Realistic Sculptor" - hunting secretly at night, then uses Stone Shape to change the resulting statues into shapes he wants, rather than being frozen in terror (and adjusts features as well). Double bonus, the players have to find out where all the missing people are going in this town.

Awakened Fell Animate Fireball with levels of True Necromancer - kills army, get army.

Aurenthal
2012-12-26, 02:11 AM
RAW, no, because Shapechange doesn't have an Area or Effect.

Living Symbol of Death puts a symbol of death on whatever it hits with a slam attack, and somewhere on whatever it engulfs. Its triggering condition is set when the caster creates the living spell.

Well, that is just sad... It should be better :smallconfused:

kardar233
2012-12-26, 07:32 AM
Living Aqueous Orb (http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/advanced/spells/aqueousOrb.html). The deadly katamari.