PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7, Internet Explorer, Google, Redirrect Popups, Help?

INoKnowNames
2012-12-18, 11:23 AM
I'm not entirely sure if we're allowed to ask for Tech Support here, but there's so much advice that gets sent around and the people of this forum know so much, I suppose it shouldn't hurt to ask!

My Laptop's randomly getting redirrect issues. It's not every single time, but it's enough to be a noticable problem. It happens randomly when I use Internet Explorer, and I've gotten into a habbit of right-clicking and opening links into new tabs just to keep the conflicting redirrection from messing with whatever my current search happens to be, and it takes the form of a pop up in that case.

Yes, Internet Explorer sucks, but I'm not very used to Firefox and other stuff. It's more than simple enough for what I need, and that's why I've stuck by it for so long.

And maybe I might need to save everything from this one onto my spare external hard-drive, and just reset it. But I'd prefer to not have to if I don't.

Hopefully you guys have some advice for dealing with this? I've already tried Malware Antivirus, CCleaner, and TDSSkiller for starters. I also just recently recieved a copy of Kaspersy 2012, and I'll probably get ready to install it when this is over, depending on it being fixed or cleaned.

One other thing. Every time I start up my laptop, I get 2 error boxes. But I'm not sure what they mean. It's just the following:

There was a problem starting CL\Users\Admin\Appdata\Local\Temp\

The specified module could not be found.

Runestar
2012-12-18, 11:38 AM
For the error message, is that all, or is there some .exe file after that? If so, it is likely malware of some sort.

Try using CCcleaner to clear out your temp files.

For your IE issue, try Chrome? Else, it is possible that one of your help toolbars is the culprit, so try going to internet options, and disable the dubious sounding ones. You can also try AVG (it is the only one I trust) and see if it can detect anything amiss.

I am no computer expert, but hope this helps. :smalltongue:

Fragenstein
2012-12-18, 11:57 AM
Malawarebytes isn't as sharp as it used to be, but I'm surprised a redirect made it past TDSSKILLER. Wicked.

If Kaspersky 2012 doesn't solve the problem then look into some more of their root executables. I believe they have a whole suite in addition to TDSSKILLER.

Also try running these in safe mode. If you can, actually install them in safe mode so that the anti-virus software itself doesn't become infected. Also look for anti-virus software that allows a boot scan.

Let us know if you need help getting into safe mode, but google should be able to tell you based on the make, model and operating system of your machine.

Oh. And I agree that I.E. sucks, but it tends to run at a fraction of the resource useage that Firefox demands these days. I've seen references to a trimmed version... I should look into that.

Avant isn't bad. It's just Internet Explorer with all the bad stuff removed and useful stuff added.

Jimorian
2012-12-19, 01:15 AM
These things are tricky. I had one that only redirected *occasional* Google search links that Avast, Malwarebytes, and AdAware all missed (I was using Firefox). I finally got rid of it with the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx), which is a scan-only product you can DL from them. You might have to try different scan product until you find it.

Also, check your DNS and proxy settings in IE as the malware may have changed these on you (I had to Google instructions for this).

INoKnowNames
2012-12-20, 09:10 AM
For the error message, is that all, or is there some .exe file after that? If so, it is likely malware of some sort.

It doesn't have any .exe or anything after that, so I've been under the assumption it's been a problem myself.

Try using CCcleaner to clear out your temp files.

That's one of the things I've said I've been using! :smalltongue:

For your IE issue, try Chrome?

Like I said, I've tried using other brousers. I wish there was one that was as convenient to use as Internet Explorer, but that wasn't apparently so full of holes when it comes to security, so it seems.

Else, it is possible that one of your help toolbars is the culprit, so try going to internet options, and disable the dubious sounding ones. You can also try AVG (it is the only one I trust) and see if it can detect anything amiss.

I don't think I have any tool-bars on my IE at all, actually. I see the address bar. I see my 20 tabs of pages I look at at once (damn you, Tvtropes!). Annd I see my favorites bar. That's it.

I tried AVG once. Massive resource drain... though it did make a good guard, even the free version, so maybe I should try it again.

I am no computer expert, but hope this helps. :smalltongue:

I appreciate it.

Malawarebytes isn't as sharp as it used to be, but I'm surprised a redirect made it past TDSSKILLER. Wicked.

Probably isn't good to rely on just one kind of Spyware protection, then...

If Kaspersky 2012 doesn't solve the problem then look into some more of their root executables. I believe they have a whole suite in addition to TDSSKILLER.

I was going to install Kaspersky once the computer is clean, not to clean it. Though I suppose I'll have to if nothing else works.

Also try running these in safe mode. If you can, actually install them in safe mode so that the anti-virus software itself doesn't become infected. Also look for anti-virus software that allows a boot scan.

Let us know if you need help getting into safe mode, but google should be able to tell you based on the make, model and operating system of your machine.

I know one way to do it; I'll give it a shot later.

Oh. And I agree that I.E. sucks, but it tends to run at a fraction of the resource useage that Firefox demands these days. I've seen references to a trimmed version... I should look into that.

Avant isn't bad. It's just Internet Explorer with all the bad stuff removed and useful stuff added.

I'll also need to look into Avant, apparently.

These things are tricky. I had one that only redirected *occasional* Google search links that Avast, Malwarebytes, and AdAware all missed (I was using Firefox). I finally got rid of it with the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (http://www.microsoft.com/security/pc-security/malware-removal.aspx), which is a scan-only product you can DL from them. You might have to try different scan product until you find it.

What do you do once you've scanned them? I recieved a few results in a scan before, but couldn't figure out quite how to find the files to delete them. I'm trying a scan again, and I'll leave it up so I can come back to it and deal with what's going on.

Also, check your DNS and proxy settings in IE as the malware may have changed these on you (I had to Google instructions for this).

Will do. I learned that someone freaking switched my Internet Explorer's Privacy Setting to Low, letting in basically everyone...

Winter_Wolf
2012-12-20, 11:58 PM
Will do. I learned that someone freaking switched my Internet Explorer's Privacy Setting to Low, letting in basically everyone...

Glad you got to the source of your problem. Well I hope you got to the source of it. Also, I made a point of password protecting my computer and not having any "guest" accounts on it for a while so that certain people wouldn't do stupid things like fiddle with my computer's settings. That might not be an option for you, but I'd sooner lend people my car for a weekend than allow anyone to use my computer. Including my spouse, who has her own computer yet insists on using mine even though the single greatest source of malware and viruses on her computer is her giving reasons why she can't possibly not got to X website or why she simply MUST use Y software even though it's the CAUSE of a lot of trouble. :smallannoyed:

I no longer give tech support to my spouse when her computer gets funky.

INoKnowNames
2012-12-22, 10:34 AM
Glad you got to the source of your problem. Well I hope you got to the source of it.

Yeah, actually. At least so far. I downloaded the scanner from the poster above (thanks, by the way), and from there downloaded Microsoft Security Essentials. And that seems to have done the trick; I haven't had a pop up from Google in a while.

Further more, I used Google to help find more information on the Rundll issue. I'm not quite sure where to go from here, but using msconfig, I at least found what the two things at start up are that don't seem to be runable, and disabled them. Doesn't seem to be adversly effecting the computer, and those two RunDLL Error Pop Ups don't greet me at the computer's restarting, either. I wonder if I can track down the files that try to run at start and delete them.

Though the biggest thing is that the Malware seems to be gone for now.

Also, I made a point of password protecting my computer and not having any "guest" accounts on it for a while so that certain people wouldn't do stupid things like fiddle with my computer's settings. That might not be an option for you, but I'd sooner lend people my car for a weekend than allow anyone to use my computer. Including my spouse, who has her own computer yet insists on using mine even though the single greatest source of malware and viruses on her computer is her giving reasons why she can't possibly not got to X website or why she simply MUST use Y software even though it's the CAUSE of a lot of trouble. :smallannoyed:

I no longer give tech support to my spouse when her computer gets funky.

Heh... sounds like a lot of fun.