PDA

View Full Version : Help me out here, Playground

Eldan
2012-12-18, 11:59 AM
Situation: my brother and me, stuck for about five or six days together in the same house over Christmas, to visit family. Fair enough, there's eating and a lot of family coming around every day, but I just know we'll get bored.

So, we need game ideas. Something that can be played on a single laptop (mine) for at least two players. And to make it more difficult, my brother doens't really like strategy games, which were my first idea. Anyone got anything good?

Cogwheel
2012-12-18, 12:05 PM
What's your position on fighting games?

Also, maybe Castle Crashers or Worms (unless that's the sort of strategy game he'd object to).

Awesomenauts is also an option.

Eldan
2012-12-18, 01:30 PM
Worms is good, we boht liked the various worms games. I'll have a look and see if I can find a good one.

Starsign
2012-12-18, 02:36 PM
What sort of genres does your brother really like to play? I second the suggestion on Worms, especially Worms: Armageddon.

Erloas
2012-12-18, 02:59 PM
I would actually say its probably a better time to put down the electronic games and pull out the more traditional games. Especially since you have other family around. With a regular deck of cards there are a huge number of games available for just two players to 20+ players. Rummy, Hearts, Speed, and 31 come to mind.
Then there are dice games like Bunco and Yahtzee; and I'm sure a lot more, the only names that spring to mind right now and both can be played with just a few dice.
And of course there are a plethora of board/card games, though its a bit harder to bring more then a couple with you. Games like Settlers of Catan, Apples to Apples (always great with big groups), Fluxx, Zombie Dice, etc. etc.

The other side of that is for the cost of probably 1 computer game you could get a deck of cards and a few dice and have dozens, probably closer to hundreds if you wanted to dig a bit, games that you can play. You can also include a lot more people then just you and your brother in the majority of them.

Grif
2012-12-18, 03:27 PM
Heroes of Might and Magic (III, IV and V all recommended, though III remains a personal favourite) can be played through hotseat, IIRC. Might get a tad chaotic with very large armies and kingdoms though.

JeminiZero
2012-12-19, 08:54 AM
I would actually say its probably a better time to put down the electronic games and pull out the more traditional games.

And of course, there is also Pen and Paper Dungeons and Dragons :smalltongue:

Maybe go for a Beat-Em-Up style game like Ragnarok Offline (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svXiEoD9oWg)? Those are *usually* compatible with having 2 players work off a single machine.