PDA

View Full Version : [PF] Can a witch take ability focus?

Ryulin18
2012-12-18, 12:32 PM
A witches hex is a supernatural attack. Does it count as a "special attack" for taking the feat ability focus? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/ability-focus).

In my understanding, PC's can't take monster feats and the hex doesn't count as a "special attack" like a monks quivering palm, because it's not an attack.

Arbane
2012-12-18, 01:19 PM
A witches hex is a supernatural attack. Does it count as a "special attack" for taking the feat ability focus? (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/monster-feats/ability-focus).

In my understanding, PC's can't take monster feats and the hex doesn't count as a "special attack" like a monks quivering palm, because it's not an attack.

Only if your GM lets you.

Most of the following feats apply specifically to monsters, although some player characters might qualify for them (particularly Craft Construct).

Lord_Gareth
2012-12-18, 01:23 PM
Is it a supernatural or extraordinary ability with a save DC? Then you can take Ability Focus; there's nothing stopping you from doing so. Your DM is free to rule otherwise, of course, but there's no RAW reason you can't.

Ravens_cry
2012-12-18, 01:37 PM
Is it a supernatural or extraordinary ability with a save DC? Then you can take Ability Focus; there's nothing stopping you from doing so. Your DM is free to rule otherwise, of course, but there's no RAW reason you can't.

Given that it is from a book that it is part of the DM tool kit, more or less, it would be polite at least to ask permission.

Lord_Gareth
2012-12-18, 01:44 PM
Given that it is from a book that it is part of the DM tool kit, more or less, it would be polite at least to ask permission.

Well, I mean, ideally the DM is an active part of the character creation process in almost all cases. I dunno, maybe I just got too used to White Wolf stuff where you run every dot past an ST and now I assume everyone plays the same way >.>

Ravens_cry
2012-12-18, 01:53 PM
Well, I mean, ideally the DM is an active part of the character creation process in almost all cases. I dunno, maybe I just got too used to White Wolf stuff where you run every dot past an ST and now I assume everyone plays the same way >.>
Well, I find that a real bottleneck considering gaming time is limited, but I completely understand the reasoning.

ericgrau
2012-12-18, 05:43 PM
I try to notify the DM of any iffy things in characters I make. I've also learned that it's also good to tell him why they're iffy instead of assuming that he knows. For example

"Ability focus (hex): See page XXX, in the monster feats section. Possibly only for monster abilities, or is it ok if my PC takes it?"

That's a step better than having him skim your entire 97 item character sheet and expecting that he understands everything in detail just off the top of his head. Though he should still skim it briefly as well.

Ryulin18
2012-12-20, 04:03 PM
I try to notify the DM of any iffy things in characters I make. I've also learned that it's also good to tell him why they're iffy instead of assuming that he knows.

Why can't I find a player like you?!

My characters consider it a bonus if they can sneak something past me, like this or that they have a subsection template of a balor/entire other class ability that they can't have/+15 sword at the start/pun-pun build.

I literally have to take the sheets home with me and research them...:smallannoyed: