PDA

View Full Version : Does this make rangers teir 1 or 2

Seer_of_Heart
2012-12-18, 02:04 PM
I was giving the wildshape combat styles back along with the ability to change them daily. I gave the ranger full druid wildshape. I also gave the druid the ability to copy an ally's or enemy's ranks in a skill for 2 skills, or for nature related skis automatic max ranks if using tht ability. As well as full BaB

Morph Bark
2012-12-18, 02:07 PM
So you made Druids even more powerful, and want Rangers to be likewise powerful? Why?

For that matter, why are you making the two so similar to one another? The only difference now is that your Druids have full animal companion progression and better spells.

Anyway, even with this the Ranger does not rise higher than High Tier 3. Unless maybe there's easy access to broken monster abilities somehow.

Seer_of_Heart
2012-12-18, 03:16 PM
I was not making druids more powerful, rather I was improving a ranger because my DM gave me permission to add improvements to rangers to help them compete with teir one or 2 classes since everyone else is teir one in the game, and a player really wants to play a ranger.

sorry for errors I posted this on my phone

GnomeGninjas
2012-12-18, 03:24 PM
I also gave the druid the ability to copy an ally's or enemy's ranks in a skill for 2 skills, or for nature related skis automatic max ranks if using tht ability. As well as full BaB

Do you mean ranger?

rweird
2012-12-18, 03:27 PM
No, you kind of need to be a full caster to beat tier 3, you'd be a strong tier 3, but you wouldn't have the versatility of tier 1, or the raw power of tier 2 (the wildshape is nice, but without buffs, it won't be all that good in combat, maybe giving it bard spell progression and add the druid list up to 6th [if both get something, whoever gets it earlier]), that might bring it to tier 2, though it would be more like a tier 1 in versatility, though not have as many high level powers.

Snowbluff
2012-12-18, 03:28 PM
Hehe, no. This is all wrong.

You only want T3, anyway.

Ranger Wildshape Style:

Wildshape as druid.

Wider Selection of Forms. (Dragon, Magical Beast most likely)

Assume (Su) as a bonus feat, swappable for a different (Su) when you change forms. Maybe allow assume (Su) to allow for (Ex) as well.

Flickerdart
2012-12-18, 03:31 PM
Weapon styles are just bonus feats, which by themselves don't move anything up or down a tier. Wildshape is a T3 feature, since it's flexible and solidly powerful, but it doesn't propel the Ranger past that point because, as already mentioned, you need full spellcasting to get there.

CarpeGuitarrem
2012-12-18, 03:33 PM
As a rule of thumb, if you have to ask if something is good enough for Tier 1 or Tier 2, it isn't. As another rule of thumb, if it's not a caster, it's not above Tier 3, as has been pointed out.

But Tier 3 is a nice place to be.

Seer_of_Heart
2012-12-18, 03:34 PM
Do you mean ranger?

yes I do :smallredface: now I'm a bit embarresed

Morbis Meh
2012-12-18, 05:22 PM
yes I do :smallredface: now I'm a bit embarresed

Don't be it happens and my phone hates me... I swear to the Dread Lord Cthulu that one day I shall seek my vengeance...

On topic: the wildshape ranger already exists in Unearthed Arcana and is usually a spring board for Master of Many Forms. Giving it full wildshape would give some incentive to stay as a ranger but doesn't push it past Tier 3.